Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 8:31 am

As a young confused undiagnosed adult who had been bullied at time "new wave" emerged at the right time. It was quirky, different but cynical and angry. Unlike the punk rock that inspired it, it was generally introverted. Gary Numan was not slam dancing and spitting on his fans but playing with his electric friends. Joe Jackson despised those "happy loving couples", something I could relate to. At the time I was not totally unlike some of the 20 something posters of today's WP. That those slick talking well dressed and I must admit to it effeminate disco boys got all the good looking girls angered me. Then in 1979 the B-52's emerged and their music and persona was in many ways opposite of their New Wave peers. They taught me doing your own weird, quirky thing can be giddy fun. Sexuality could be giddy fun also. In saw them in concert in 1983 and they had super shy me dancing wildly and uncontrollably in public. In 1989 and 1990 the underground band became popular. Sure their music had matured in the wake of Ricky Wilson's death via AIDS but it had not gotten boring and was still unmistakably the B-52's.

They still tour a lot and from videos their shows still look like fun. Sure it is not the exactly the same but who of us still is?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 12:45 am

The first time I'd even heard of the B-52's was on Saturday Night Live. They played "Rock Lobster" and "52 Girls." I liked them right away. This was back in the day when SNL played unheard of bands. i was also introduced to Devo on SNL. In 1980, when I became a DJ on KPGY-FM in Iowa, I had a punk/new music show so I played both groups as well as Lene Lovich, Plasmatics, Sex Pistols, etc. Sigh. The good ol' days...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 4:03 am

redrobin62 wrote:
The first time I'd even heard of the B-52's was on Saturday Night Live. They played "Rock Lobster" and "52 Girls." I liked them right away. This was back in the day when SNL played unheard of bands. i was also introduced to Devo on SNL. In 1980, when I became a DJ on KPGY-FM in Iowa, I had a punk/new music show so I played both groups as well as Lene Lovich, Plasmatics, Sex Pistols, etc. Sigh. The good ol' days...

I remember the Devo SNL appearence and being really confused because they showed thier video instead of playing live. This was in 1978 before there was any music videos on American TV.

Lene Lovich was also giddy fun to listen to.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 4:37 pm

If I remember, DEVO did perform live.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 5:45 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
If I remember, DEVO did perform live.

Looks like a crude 70's type video to me

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 4:49 am

On October 14, 1978, Devo gained national exposure with an appearance on the late-night show Saturday Night Live, a week after the Rolling Stones, performing "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Jocko Homo".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devo

Unforgettable musical guests such as Peter Tosh, Mick Jagger, The Doobie Brothers, Bette Midler, Talking Heads, Devo, Van Morrison, Grateful Dead, Rickie Lee Jones, James Taylor, and the legendary Rolling Stones playing live from studio 8H.

https://www.amazon.com/Saturday-Night-L ... B001FFBI9G