Can't decide between two programs.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2017, 9:49 am

I have to be done applying within 15 days, I'm still clueless as of what I should major in. I'm mostly an average student because of my apathy towards studying, this resulted in me dropping out of university (studied physics) last year but now I'm more motivated than ever, problem is I don't know where to direct that energy.

Career wise I want to work with physics in a relatively stress free area because of my inability to deal with it. This would probably be outside of the government funded jobs, and more in the private such as universities. This is strongly favorable towards a degree in physics, but I'm also interested in oceanography. The part of oceanography that interests me the most is probably the organisms in it, I really want to understand how they function getting into molecular biology.

So I don't know what to do. Both interests me a great deal, I was interested in space since a kid, but got more intense when I was 15 because before that I didn't know what physics implied. Oceanography, I'm more interested in the sense that it is "beautiful", basically diving and similiar activities. I also like the fact that oceanography is interdiciplinary, taking many branches of science as opposed to only one. My interest in oceanography (Marine science) also started when I was a kid, and was pretty much equal, if not, stronger than "physics" (space).

What should I do?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2017, 5:46 am

Did you decide? It's been more than 15 days since you posted.

devilSpawn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2017, 3:25 pm

study all of it, take the classes you're interested in. That's what I say... if they don't fit together, you might be "equipped" to bridge that gap by creating a new discipline... you might have superpowers associated with "obsessive interest"... is what it is. Don't get stuck thinking you have to take a typical path... you're not typical, blaze your own trail.