Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

phenomenon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 May 2007, 3:50 pm

Did they get you for the 7 miles over based only on your confession? I don't think they do do you for that if they didn't catch it on radar themselves...hope they didn't make you pay based on that

nobodyzdream wrote:
It's just an example of the thought process/honesty issue-if he did not know the tail light was out or was a big deal, he was probably thinking at the time "oh crap, I've been drinking" whether he was weaving or not, it's not something you're supposed to be doing, so blurted that out immediately rather than waiting for the officer to tell him why he was pulled over.

I've done something similar-announced that I was going 7 miles over the speed limit when I was actually being pulled over due to an expired license plate because I didn't realize it was expired :P Wound up with a ticket for my speeding and a warning to get my tags updated.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 3:51 pm

I actually managed to get out of it because he didn't ever tell me he caught me once I got to court (I wasn't the one arguing it-it was my bf who was with me at the time... me, I was gonna pay it 'cuz it's a typical and common open mouth, insert foot moment). But yes, he gave me the ticket because I told him, lol.

What happens to me is I immediately get anxiety because I'm focused on where I'm going, then to get it overwith quickly I tell everything right there, get my ticket and leave. I don't get tickets often, but when I do, it's generally very fast and I'm extremely anxious to get it done quicker-so if they ask me "do you know why....?" I answer with whatever I think I'm in trouble for to avoid a lecture or anything of that nature.

Last edited by nobodyzdream on 19 May 2007, 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OMGpenguin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2007, 3:53 pm

phenomenon wrote:
Did they get you for the 7 miles over based only on your confession? I don't think they do do you for that if they didn't catch it on radar themselves...hope they didn't make you pay based on that

nobodyzdream wrote:
It's just an example of the thought process/honesty issue-if he did not know the tail light was out or was a big deal, he was probably thinking at the time "oh crap, I've been drinking" whether he was weaving or not, it's not something you're supposed to be doing, so blurted that out immediately rather than waiting for the officer to tell him why he was pulled over.

I've done something similar-announced that I was going 7 miles over the speed limit when I was actually being pulled over due to an expired license plate because I didn't realize it was expired :P Wound up with a ticket for my speeding and a warning to get my tags updated.

Unless he went to court and fought that his confession was coerced, they had every right to give him a ticket.

Although that does suck :P

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 8:07 pm

TRUE-thank you for posting these links !
Sorry that some folks are not appreciative.
They were of interest to me & I sent them on to a friend who may also find them enlightening/insightful.

OMGpenguin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2007, 8:29 pm

Belfast wrote:
TRUE-thank you for posting these links !
Sorry that some folks are not appreciative.
They were of interest to me & I sent them on to a friend who may also find them enlightening/insightful.

I'd also reccomend "Busted: The Citizen's Guide to Police Encounters." You can watch it on youtube, and it's got a lot of good information in it (although it is about an hour long).

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 9:13 pm

True,

I get it better now that you explained more. I told you I was missing something! That is exactly the type of thing my best friend does to the police all the time. I don't always get it when she tells me either, so don't feel bad. At least I know I'm not getting it.

At least you thought you knew why you were pulled over. I usually go, "What stupid thing did I do now?" Probably the same issue being presented differently.

Anyway, I tend to get stuck on things and forget other, like stuck on not understanding the story and forgetting to go back and look at the links. It's nothing to do with you so don't take it personally. It's just me.

Glad they watched your car after all that and thanks for the links!

to save me from ruin

TRUE
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2007, 9:28 pm

Why do some people keep referring to me as a "he" or "him". I'm female. :heart:

Thanks Belfast. Your response was the only kind that I expected to see from my post. I thought it was useful information. At least someone "got it".

OMGpenguin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2007, 10:28 pm

The links were decent, but I enjoyed the story more :P

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 8:03 pm

phenomenon wrote:
Honestly, you should have been taken into custody. There is no way ANYONE who has had a "few to drink" should be out on the road, especially if they are weaving. That officer was out of order not to have taken you off the road, regardless of whether or not he was following you, and you were extremely fortunate that you got a cop who didn't respect the law and his profession enough to book you when you approached his car and verbally assaulted him.

Mouthing off to a cop (i.e. calling him a "butthead") is a real good way to get into a lot of trouble real fast and could have been easily interpreted as resisting arrest. If you are stopped by a cop and he approaches the window keep your hands on the steering wheel and politely ask him: "Officer can I help you"? If he asks you why you think you were pulled over simply tell him: "I don't know".

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 8:27 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
phenomenon wrote:
Honestly, you should have been taken into custody. There is no way ANYONE who has had a "few to drink" should be out on the road, especially if they are weaving. That officer was out of order not to have taken you off the road, regardless of whether or not he was following you, and you were extremely fortunate that you got a cop who didn't respect the law and his profession enough to book you when you approached his car and verbally assaulted him.

Mouthing off to a cop (i.e. calling him a "butthead") is a real good way to get into a lot of trouble real fast and could have been easily interpreted as resisting arrest. If you are stopped by a cop and he approaches the window keep your hands on the steering wheel and politely ask him: "Officer can I help you"? If he asks you why you think you were pulled over simply tell him: "I don't know".

My mom has told me this also. Don't get out of the car, because that can be interpreted as threatening. Also, be extremely polite, calling them either "officer" or "sir." She said cops can make your life hell if you piss them off, so never be anything other than extremely polite. You're really lucky that he treated you so kindly.