Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

svaughan
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2017, 7:33 am

Anyone else think that the stereotype of all Aspies loving computers is overblown. many I'm sure end up in IT because it often doesn't require top notch motor skills, for example, programming? Sure some maybe hyperfocused on it but I'm sure others would love to be an athlete, military etc.

Windigo
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2017, 8:00 am

I guess it is.

Though I can't really comment because I am IT girl at work and a nerd at home :D

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 8:07 am

Not really. I spent all of my youth messing about with computers and now I work in IT.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 8:11 am

I doubt anyone has any truly-comprehensive statistics showing the ratios or comparative numbers of Aspie programmers and athletes, and it would not be difficult for me to imagine some of us in either group having desires to be in the other. I spent many years clutching every opportunity I could find for playing some softball, then later also got into data processing...and now today I am an old man who can no longer play softball but can sit here doing some webmastering and restoring older computers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 8:14 am

Calling somebody with a computer a 'nerd' is old-fashioned, as these days it's rather essential to have a computer.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 8:19 am

Joe90 wrote:
Calling somebody with a computer a 'nerd' is old-fashioned, as these days it's rather essential to have a computer.

Yeah, but then what about those of us whose phones are still connected to the wall?! ;)

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2017, 8:44 am

I game but I haven't got a clue about computers. Give me a load of financial statements though and I can analysis those and suggest the best route to take on any given outcome though or sit me in front of the piano and place a score infront of me and ask me to play also easily do able. Ask me to code I will scream and kick and go into full blown melt down, or if you want me to repair one does asking my aspie programmer dad to fix it count?

svaughan
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2017, 9:02 am

I had a special interest in game development as a kid but it didn't really last. Though actually I have loads of special interests. What I was saying is anything deep/technical often becomes a special interest for Neurodiverse people but it doesn't necessarily have to be computers. Though computers are a natural fit for a profession. I work in IT but am not as interested in it as I was and I'd like a more physically demanding role even though I'm at the gym 5 times a week. I wouldn't mind becoming a retainer firefighter but worry my motor skills will not be up to par.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 10:32 am

svaughan wrote:
...I'm at the gym 5 times a week. I wouldn't mind becoming a retainer firefighter but worry my motor skills will not be up to par.

If your physical condition seems good from the workouts, give the firefighter idea a workout and see what happens. I know two people who are not skilled at competitive athletics but are doing fine as firefighter trainees.

svaughan
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2017, 10:45 am

Well I'm a fast runner lol. Was never any good at team sports, soccer etc. It took me until I was 14 to tie my shoe laces, so motor skills were not the best. Although strangely, always had good cordination when it comes to video games. I'm a heck of a lot better at most things now though.

rosygrace
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2017, 10:57 am

I was just laughing thinking I need to join Geek Squad because I was trying to figure out an internet connection. I've always loved computers and troubleshooting.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 12:22 pm

Computers work lends itself to the hyperfocus, systematic thinking as well as less need for social skills. Maybe not so much less social skills these days with the demand to program social media apps.

But these traits in no way are needed to translate into IT skills for one to be autistic, they just have to be there.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

creepycrawler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2017, 1:11 pm

I have a theory that for a long time tinkering was one of few solitary activities that wouldn't open someone up to ridicule. Now we have an abundance of socially acceptable solitary activities, as well as a greater tolerance for neurodiversity. I often look back at my childhood and wonder where I would have ended up if I hadn't had video games to satisfy all of my needs.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 9:03 pm

Anyone else think that the stereotype of all Aspies loving computers is overblown. many I'm sure end up in IT because it often doesn't require top notch motor skills, for example, programming? Sure some maybe hyperfocused on it but I'm sure others would love to be an athlete, military etc.

a disproportionate number of computer science and electrical engineering majors match the stereotype of "loving computers". however, of course, plenty of them appear socially well adjusted or even extroverted.

furthermore, with the exception of the facts that my IQ score is too low, my % fat is too high, and my glasses are not thick enough, i match the stereotype of the computer programmer.

the world contains plenty of aspies. according to articles, plenty of them are computer programmers. (fine). certainly, some of them are athletes or in the military. (fine).

but just b/c not every autistic is a computer programmer, does not necessarily follow, that the stereotype is unjustified.

having said that, i myself am horrible at computers.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 10:45 pm

All I can do is tell about my own experience with computers. Ever since the 1980s they pretty much start stressing me out the instant they are turned on.
I don't know what it is but things that are not immediately clear and understandable about them and the ways they do things give rise to the range of physical stress responses. And eventually emotional stress behavior.

The machines and what they bring to the world certainly have observable benefits - and I'm obviously making use of them.
But even after having used them at jobs and at home for 35 years or so they still stress me out quite frequently.

A connected issue is how the web and websites operate.
On account of autism and a few other things I have to use ad blockers and script blockers to cut down on the amount of stuff happening on the screen or the web would be unusable to me.
More and more places are blocking use of the site if you have ad blockers in use.
Yesterday or the day before one of my favorite train sites (wait a minute, someone here likes trains? no way! totally unheard of!) :wink: started doing that.
I turned off Ad Block Plus for that site - and still get the turn off ad blocker if you want access.
I understand that ad revenue helps pay the bills, I'm not stupid.
I have to run ad blockers and script blockers to cut down the amount of things happening on a web page or the web is unusable to me.
That is not negotiable.

Some websites offer to not have ads for a fee. I'm living on $980 and change a month Social Security Disability, I'm pretty those website owners can do math.

Over the last several months I have written several websites, or snail mailed the owning business.
Not one reply yet.

I've been off social media for a while now because the page experience got too intense: I left Facebook a couple years ago and Google Plus this year.
When G+ went to new design with that bright scarlet bar across top of page, sorry, last straw, too much for me, I was already feeling overload so with this you just lost me for good.

More and more I feel like the web on the overall is becoming a "We don't want your kind coming here" type of environment.

(a connected issue is that I do not watch TV and movies)

And sometimes I have to shut down the computer because just the faint sound of it running is getting to me.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 11:16 pm

I really like computers and electronic stuff. Always have. But I'm not super good with them. I'm good but not super.