Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Mar 2017, 11:27 am

Possible options:

- Drawing / painting :jester: : I'm good at drawing, my arts teacher in high school selected my painting for exhibition. But I will need to practice if I select this.

Reading books :study: : I like reading but I rarely do that. :(

- Playing instruments / composing music :hail: : I don't play any instrument. But I can try composing music digitally for hobby.

- Sports :bball: : I think my motor skills aren't good so this will be my last choice. If you want me to select this please specify the branch (basketball, football...).

- Other (please specify :!: ).

Now please tell me which one I should do or you can tell me some other things to do (please specify :!: )

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 12:05 pm

Reading books and art, can be done on the cheap… So, do both. I don’t know anything about music composing, but sounds expensive. Cycling is a fun sporty hobby that is easier in my opinion then others (can be done solo). I also enjoy competition shooting, look up 3-Gun.

EDIT: My motor skills are not the greatest, but I do okay with cycling and shooting… If anything, my motor skills improved.

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Mar 2017, 12:17 pm

SH90 wrote:
Reading books and art, can be done on the cheap… So, do both. I don’t know anything about music composing, but sounds expensive. Cycling is a fun sporty hobby that is easier in my opinion then others (can be done solo). I also enjoy competition shooting, look up 3-Gun.

EDIT: My motor skills are not the greatest, but I do okay with cycling and shooting… If anything, my motor skills improved.

Cycling sounds fun but... My bike has been stolen a few years ago. I'll need to buy a new one.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 12:49 pm

What about watching movies or playing video games? Those are my only hobbies that I do. And I love it.

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Mar 2017, 12:55 pm

Getting a life.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 1:00 pm

Isn't it Your hobby, Your time? So I guess You should choose, don't you think?

A hobby always requires efforts, and you are not the best at it when you start.
You do efforts because you like it, and you become good at it because you made efforts.

I wish you a nice choice, courage and satisfaction. :)

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Mar 2017, 2:58 pm

Keigan wrote:
Getting a life.

For example?

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 2:35 am

^look around you, it is full of examples. :)

But it's not you. Maybe you should try to know yourself better, or let your hart guide you.

The difficult thing with choice is that when you choose, you lose all other possibilities. But at least, you make one possibility real. :)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 11:39 pm

You could grow some food or decorative plants. You could buy and sell things that interest you, doing minor repairs to give them new life. You could make a new bike from bits of junked bikes, and customize it. You could write a short story. You could make a map of your neighborhood, showing things too small for other maps. You could volunteer at a charity or hospital. You could pick a subject and study it on-line. You could prepare for climate change, and probably should.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 1:44 am

My AS son hates team sports but he loves swimming and martial arts (yoseikan budo, which is a mix of Japanese styles). He's made a couple of friends doing that.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2017, 1:47 am

I make music with FL studio it's good fun and I like drawing. Ever thought of something like chess?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 9:47 pm

Possible options:

- Drawing / painting :jester: : I'm good at drawing, my arts teacher in high school selected my painting for exhibition. But I will need to practice if I select this.

Reading books :study: : I like reading but I rarely do that. :(

- Playing instruments / composing music :hail: : I don't play any instrument. But I can try composing music digitally for hobby.

- Sports :bball: : I think my motor skills aren't good so this will be my last choice. If you want me to select this please specify the branch (basketball, football...).

Now please tell me which one I should do or you can tell me some other things to do (please specify :!: )

drawing: it's just a hobby. you do not "need" to practice. you can choose to practice or not.

reading: yes, b/c you like it. reading is kind of passive, in that you do not produce anything. but it's also good, in that you do not have to waste $$, as you do for painting materials, musical instruments, or sports gear.

sports: some sports do not require awesome motor skills, or require fewer motor skills. likewise, some individual sports. running, swimming, weight lifting. furthermore, you might purposely make your motor skills better, by working on sports.

instruments: could be a lot of fun. costs a lot of $$ too. some instruments are cheaper than others. if it's something you really want and you have the $$, and you are willing to waste $$ on it, then yes. otherwise, no.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 10:06 pm

Dear_one wrote:
You could grow some food or decorative plants. You could buy and sell things that interest you, doing minor repairs to give them new life. You could make a new bike from bits of junked bikes, and customize it. You could write a short story. You could make a map of your neighborhood, showing things too small for other maps. You could volunteer at a charity or hospital. You could pick a subject and study it on-line. You could prepare for climate change, and probably should.
Those are grand ideas.

An example from my life;
Way back in the 1970s in 8th or 9th grade while in school library reading a book of Star Trek short stories there was one which began with 'the ship was beautiful' either right at the beginning or in the first couple sentences.
Hmm ... what would a beautiful ship look like coming from my own being?
A couple weeks later I had a style.
Hmm ... now the ship needs people; the people need a story ... what kind of story would I like to read?

And I've been writing and drawing and making miniatures on and off since then: work on it for a couple months; put it away for a couple years; work on it for a couple months; put it away for a couple years; rinse and repeat.
Have discovered that even though I can not connect with reading books on electronic devices I totally love writing and editing on a PC.

Taking Dear_one's ideas and running with them ...

Write and do illustrations for a story about someone who rescues rehabs and customizes junked bikes along with buying and selling bike parts then while testing them and searching for more maps the neighborhood and discovers something. That something could be about the neighborhood, about the residents, about the character themself. Perhaps the character also uses the different bikes to take plants to and from a residential care center where the character volunteers and also helps care for the plants.
Perhaps the story character sometimes rides off to an isolated spot to practice an instrument they don't feel any good at but would like to play.

As part of the 'research' for the story, if money, time, and transportation allow, it might be possible to actually volunteer somewhere from time to time. And your own experiences could be used to detail scenes in your story.

Way back when I volunteered one summer with the Red Cross as assistant to a recreation director for a residential care center. Another summer I volunteered with the city as a summer school library assistant.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 10:09 pm

Awkward wrote:

- Sports :bball: : I think my motor skills aren't good ...

Those can kinda be blended in to making kites from found objects.
http://www.my-best-kite.com/

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 10:19 pm

Robert Fulghum once bought and lit a fine cigar, but then wanted a coffee to go, so he put it on a brick ledge just outside a coffee shop while he grabbed one for his walk. When he came out, someone had just taken the cigar, and was walking away. Robert followed him 'till the cigar was gone, getting a far better tour of an Italian market neighborhood that he would have otherwise, and a story to sell as well.
When I just wanted to go for a walk, I'd get my dog to lead the way, and he was a great guide. When I thought it was time to turn around, I'd just stand still, and then he'd lead the way home.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 10:37 pm

Joining the ranks of we so-called Tin-Foil Hat-Wearing Crazy Conspiracy Theorists of course !
You can start by watching this documentary in full in regards to the Fraudulent Scheme of the I.R.S.

Make sure to watch and read and listen to all five parts of course. Pay careful attention to it all.