Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

abirdsingsinsilence
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Mar 2017, 1:38 pm

My mood has been such a mess. I had alot of problems with this when I was a teenager. I was so angry and sad and frustrated and confused all the time, but I thought I'd moved past that. I failed school the first time round and I worked hard in jobs that I hated for a few years and decided I'd had enough. I went back to college determined to learn something, and I did! I got into one of the best unis in the country, but now I'm here, nothing is as I expected, and it's been a difficult pill to swallow. I feel like I don't care about my degree. I enjoy the subject (History and Philosophy), but the amount of reading really gets me down. I have very superior spelling and grammar skills, but for whatever reason, my reading speed is slow, and this is really draining when I have to read 10 chapters, each at 20 pages a pop just to get a baring on whatever it is I'm writing about!

To boot, I've been dealing with increasingly difficult to manage mood problems. I experienced what felt like a few instances of mania. I've never felt so good, but I've also never felt so bad in the depressive aftermath. I'm so sick and tired of doctors, they don't want to help and I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle all the damn time to get anything done. I just don't know how to adapt to University life and it's making me question everything I've done up until now. I'm just fed up and looking for others who've experienced similar for advice and support, if for no other reason than to push back some of the crushing isolation that's making it difficult to do anything at all.

Just to add, I am not diagnosed, but I believe I fall somewhere on the mild end of the spectrum, although I could be wrong. Alot of what I read on these forums does resonate with my own situation, so it would seem possible.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 1:51 pm

One of the things I had to do in graduate school was to get much of my reading coverted to audio format, and most of the reading I do for pleasure are audiobooks.

abirdsingsinsilence
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Mar 2017, 5:02 pm

I don't actually listen well to audio books. It all depends on the readers voice and whether I llike it. Even then, I get bored quickly and lose focus. I just wish I had more time in the week to feel ready to do the work!

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 5:31 am

I have the same issues with some readers.

I never took more than 13 credits in a semester, can you take less credits?

abirdsingsinsilence
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2017, 8:54 am

I'm in the UK and each degree is 3 years with 120 credits per year. Every year is split into 3 terms, two 10 week, one 4 week. The only unis other than our that have as short terms are Cambridge and Oxford. I have to do the work very quickly and I just can't keep up :(