Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2020, 3:22 pm

Thank-you for bumping-up the discussion thread on internet forums.

Internet forums (like WP) offer a wealth of statistical information i.e., number of posts, threads, and number of views(reads) in layouts that encourage categorization of content.

In short, internet-forum layouts, and statistical data can allow readers to glean insights on important trends which might have otherwise been overlooked!

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 2:09 pm

I used to really like mailing lists. There are still mailing lists out there, but the big discussions seem to have gone elsewhere.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2020, 3:52 pm

Yes, but only after rotary dial telephones and carburettors.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

10 Sep 2021, 10:51 am

I can only hope! I was thinking of this exact thing the other day.

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 7:25 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
None of the social media really provide a format for sustained intelligent conversation....

I find facebook and twitter mostly a nuisance. The main use I get is that my daughter posts pictures of the grandchildren on facebook.

It does seem to mostly either be memes or arguments, and finding the number of fake friends decreasing whenever they hear anything they disagree with is super awesome. -_- It's a setup that allows everyone to snoop and take everything personally, as well as witchhunt anyone they deem heretical and feel powerful by blocking and snubbing.

Even on forums there can be flame wars, and often any format will be biased according to the biases of the mods/admins and whatever businesses own the servers or pay the ad revenue or whatever other legalistic excuse for shutting down various sides of any debate they may currently employ. But there's slightly less kneejerk reaction so far as insta-blocking dissidents by regular members, and that helps a bit with being able to communicate past initial disagreement. And higher degree of anonymity being possible, if one cares for it, can allow for less risk of hate-crowds swarming the employers of those they disagree with so as to attempt to starve them to death as has become vogue in the last few lovely decades.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 11:44 am

a better question is , whether the forums " Need" to make a comeback. To insure open public discussion ?

where ever you go ,there you are

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2021, 4:56 pm

Jakki wrote:
a better question is , whether the forums " Need" to make a comeback. To insure open public discussion ?

Why should anything have to be a "need" in order to be done? Though sure, ensuring some freedom of speech, however slanted by subjective humans, is better than letting tyrants and their mobs run amok.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 12:40 am

Well we are here aren't we :lol:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 9:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
Well we are here aren't we :lol:

All ten of us :mrgreen: