Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 1:31 pm

Hello,
I am the new one who wants to join the forum. Taking part in the discussions here will be also a good method of improving my English. I am 23, I live in Poland. As a matter of fact, I have no the slightest idea whether I have Asperger or not; what I know is the fact that for my entire life I realized I was not like other people, I felt like a completely unique person inside being seperated from other human beings even if I was among them. It can be compared to the Borg who has lost connection with the Collective and is on his own if you know what I mean. I have ALL but one symptoms of AS - I have a good intuition which stands for life experience, I know how to manipulate people, I am good at understanding unwritten rules of behaviour, reading social clues (or how to call it) and so on (although in spite of having all this THEORETICAL knowledge and knowing what normal people do in some situations I react in completely different way, I can not act properly, just like it is required from people). But according to the words of one user on another forum, practically all descriptions of aspies are made in reference to men while AS women usually behave a bit differently than AS guys and they are simply better at all this social stuff. I will write more later - I know English, I even study it but after all it is not a language acquired by me in a natural way, in my childhood but a learned one so it is not like writing in a native language where one can express his thoughts and feelings so naturally and without any effort; I must think over what I am going to write to be understood well and not to make shameful mistakes :D

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 1:39 pm

Welcome to WP, Irulan. :D
Poland is awesome.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 1:43 pm

Welcome to WP!

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 2:11 pm

welcome, nice to read there is one more person from central europe here. i am from slovakia, originally.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 2:30 pm

tomamil wrote:
welcome, nice to read there is one more person from central europe here. i am from slovakia, originally.

What's the situation in your country in reference to Asperger Syndrome? Is AS widely known there? I mean, do the doctors generally have some knowledge about it? Because in Poland a lot of psychologists (especially the older ones) haven't heard about AS and it is not unusual that a patient is told to suffer from schizophrenia or hears words said with contemptuous tone: " You've read too much books" :evil:

Last edited by Irulan on 19 May 2007, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 2:39 pm

Irulan wrote:
What's the situation in your country in reference to Asperger Syndrome?

i don't know what's the status in slovakia, i am 27 years old. i guess i could not be diagnosed as a child. and now i live in portugal for almost 5 years. but i've read a blog written by a slovak guy who was diagnosed with AS in slovakia. his doctor went through many possibilities before he stopped on this one. first of all it's important to go to a doctor of whom you know that has experience with autism spectrum disorders. i'm certainly planing on doing so after i return back there.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 2:59 pm

And thanks for correcting me :)

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 3:03 pm

Irulan wrote:

:lol: you are funny, that's why i sent it to you as a private message. so i don't correct you in public.
hope you don't take it as wikipedia says: 'people with AS are compelled to correct mistakes, even when they are made by someone in a position of authority, such as a teacher. For this reason, they can be unwittingly offensive.' :)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 3:33 pm

Hiya. Welcome to WP. Hope you like it here. :)

Incidentally, I have been with some Polish people I know who have been in the UK for two years. They most definitely consider Britain their home now. It's comfortable for them. They tell me that Krakow is more and more expensive these days (it was expensive enough when I went with them!) for the locals. :(

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 3:40 pm

tomamil wrote:
Irulan wrote:

:lol: you are funny, that's why i sent it to you as a private message. so i don't correct you in public.
hope you don't take it as wikipedia says: 'people with AS are compelled to correct mistakes, even when they are made by someone in a position of authority, such as a teacher. For this reason, they can be unwittingly offensive.' :)

For me it doesn't matter whether I'm corrected in public or not - it's only a fact of correction that is important for me because I hate making mistakes and I'm grateful to people who show them to me (of course, not when somebody makes it maliciously). I have also a compulsion to correct mistakes made by others and I'm in a really bad mood when I can't do it :? I'm a typical example of AS person from Wikipedia. If you want me to be quiet sincere, it's much better for me to have a mistake pointed out in public because when someone makes it in private, it (a mistake) seems to be something shameful, something one should be ashamed of :?

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 3:50 pm

BTW, where can I find a list of ranks of the users of this forum (if such exists)? How many posts does it take to stop to be emu egg?

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 3:51 pm

Irulan wrote:
If you want me to be quiet sincere, it's much better for me to have a mistake pointed out in public because when someone makes it in private, it (a mistake) seems to be something shameful, something one should be ashamed of :?

yeah, if i spoke perfect English, it would be more or less natural, but my English is far from perfect. therefore if i did it in public it would seem like i was showing off...

it takes 10 posts to grow out of the 'emu egg' status :) (no idea where you can find the list)

lau
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 8:29 pm

Welcome to WP, Irulan.

Is Irulan a reference to Dune? I only ask, because I did that "I know that name, from somewhere" thing, and had to look it up. I read the books as they came out. Hated the 1984 film. Loved the two more recent mini-series.

DadofTwins
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2007, 9:17 pm

Welcome to WP! I'm new too joined today!

Good luck on your journey. :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 9:52 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 2:16 am

lau wrote:
Welcome to WP, Irulan.

Is Irulan a reference to Dune? I only ask, because I did that "I know that name, from somewhere" thing, and had to look it up. I read the books as they came out. Hated the 1984 film. Loved the two more recent mini-series.

Yes, my nick on this forum is taken from Frank Herbert's book although I'm not a fan of "Dune" series. But I like science fiction very much - even my avatar is a reference to s-f; it's Crystalline Entity from TNG. I was looking for an avatar with Data who's my favourite character from TNG but I couldn't find a proper one.