Page 19 of 25 [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 25  Next

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2019, 10:02 am

If I worked in academia I'd rather enjoy and get an ego boost from reading all of these conspiracy theories about how dastardly and Machiavellian academia supposedly is. Kind of like when a mobster watches The Godfather.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 9:34 pm

TRENDING: Educators work to combat racism, whiteness in math

“Math equity” doesn’t mean 1 + 1 = 2.

The term refers to the growing insistence among educators that teaching math in the classroom comes with some inherently biased methodology that must be addressed.

Proponents of “math equity” also stress the importance of social justice issues such as race, diversity and gender in math education — a trend that’s catching on.

More professors and educators are tweeting under the hashtag #MathEquity to share strategies on the topic, and webinars and other pedagogical sessions on it abound.

“Equity-based mathematics teaching requires more than implementing new curriculum or using specific practices because it involves taking a stand for what is right,” the website for the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics states.

https://www.thecollegefix.com/trending- ... s-in-math/

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:55 am

Darmok wrote:

The term refers to the growing insistence among educators that teaching math in the classroom comes with some inherently biased methodology that must be addressed.

Proponents of “math equity” also stress the importance of social justice issues such as race, diversity and gender in math education — a trend that’s catching on.

More professors and educators are tweeting under the hashtag #MathEquity to share strategies on the topic, and webinars and other pedagogical sessions on it abound.

“Equity-based mathematics teaching requires more than implementing new curriculum or using specific practices because it involves taking a stand for what is right,” the website for the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics states.

I believe 1 + 1 = 2. Mandatory mouth stapling surgery for me(sarcasm).

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 5:20 pm

Darmok wrote:

I feel so sorry for the kids and younger adults in educational institutions these days.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 5:11 pm

EQUALITY: Australian University Lowers Standards For Women Looking To Enter Engineering Degrees

Equality? No thanks. Women at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) will be able to enter engineering and construction degrees with a lower score on an admissions test than their male counterparts.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that UTS will allow women to enter engineering and construction degrees with a lower score on the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) than male students. Women can score 10 points lower than men and still be admitted into the degree programs.

As the Herald reported, many universities in the country “allocate adjustment points based on disadvantage or illness,” but UTS appears to be the first one to make the adjustment based on gender. As one can guess, the move to lower the entry bar for women is being done in an effort to get more women into engineering.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/51223/eq ... ashe-schow

There Are Four Lights!

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 7:05 pm

Progressivism and especially this radical SJW activism spreads to everyone and everything like a very horrible cancer does.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2019, 7:50 pm

What was the catalyst in creating this culture where we’re afraid we’re going to offend people, where our biggest fear is that someone’s feelings will be hurt.

That said, I was not in college for politics. I was there to get the skills needed for a good job.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 4:14 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
What was the catalyst in creating this culture where we’re afraid we’re going to offend people, where our biggest fear is that someone’s feelings will be hurt.

That said, I was not in college for politics. I was there to get the skills needed for a good job.

It's compromise and moderation that got us where we are today. I know you called yourself a "moderate conservative/republican" before, that's why I said that.

Also, just because somebody is to the right of the moderate conservative doesn't mean that person is a violent or evil extremist. That's the big straw man.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2019, 9:10 am

If you condemn white supremacists, that proves you're a white supremacist! Understand? :scratch:

UT prof tells students El Paso Republican mayor is a 'white supremacist'

--The University of Texas-El Paso held a conference to facilitate academic discussion of issues surrounding the recent mass shooting in the area.

--One professor used her time to accuse the El Paso Mayor of being a “white supremacist,” suggesting that he and President Donald Trump were supporting white supremacy through their condemnations of the attack.

--She also informed the students that the Mayor’s condemnation of white supremacy was in itself an act of white supremacy.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13669

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 7:42 pm

The Democrats have always been the Segregationist Party, both 100 years ago and today.

Whites need not apply: Campus sci-tech symposium to only feature scholars of color

An upcoming science and technology symposium slated to take place at Williams College promises a unique feature: it will showcase “new” voices in the field, and those voices will only come from scholars of color.

“New Voices in Science and Technology Studies: A C3 Symposium,” set for early November at the private Massachusetts-based liberal arts university, invited scholars to submit papers if they represent a “historically underrepresented group.”

The call for papers specifies that means either “African Americans, Alaska Natives, Arab Americans, Asian Americans, Latinx, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians, and other Pacific Islanders.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/whites-ne ... -of-color/

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 9:52 am

Woke History Is Making Big Inroads in America's High Schools

Like growing numbers of public high school students across the country, many California kids are receiving classroom instruction in how race, class, gender, sexuality and citizenship status are tools of oppression, power and privilege. They are taught about colonialism, state violence, racism, intergenerational trauma, heteropatriarchy and the common thread that links them: “whiteness.” Students are then graded on how well they apply these concepts in writing assignments, performances and community organizing projects.

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com ... 20363.html

There Are Four Lights!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 10:01 am

I would hate to be a high-school student these days. Being depicted as a member of an abusive gender and an oppressive race, and then being graded on how well I repeat the official party line would be even more depressing than just being an autistic outcast.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 10:42 am

Union County high school teacher reportedly told students VP Pence should be 'shot in the head'

UNION COUNTY, N.C. - A Union County high school teacher is under investigation after reportedly making threatening comments to a class of students, saying the vice president should be shot.

The Cuthbertson High School teacher called out VP Mike Pence while he was visiting NC, allegedly telling her students he should be "shot in the head."

The Union County Sheriff's Office says it's passed this information along to the Secret Service to investigate.

The teacher, who FOX 46 is not naming at this time, allegedly made the comments to students the same week the vice president was in town to campaign for congressional elect Dan Bishop.

https://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/uni ... n-the-head

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 1:44 pm

1984 was supposed to be a warning, but the Left thinks it's an instruction manual.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 8:43 pm

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2019, 10:31 am

This doesn't appear to be leftist corruption per se, just good old fashioned corruption. If you think universities are some kind of distinctively honorable institutions full of superior people, think again.

Philly professor spent nearly $200K in fed research funds at strip clubs

A university professor from Philadelphia blew nearly $200,000 of federal research dollars at strip clubs in the City of Brotherly Love — and now his former employer is stuck with the bill, a report said Monday.

Drexel University settled with federal prosecutors for $190,000 on Monday to avoid a potential lawsuit from the Justice Department, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

The settlement was an effort to recoup funds that the former head of Drexel’s electrical engineering department, Chikaodinaka Nwankpa, squandered at topless bars including Club Risque and Cheerleaders in South Philly, according to the report.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/07/philly-pr ... rip-clubs/

There Are Four Lights!