I am good at hard stuff but I fail easy stuff?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 5:12 am

Pretty simple, question in title. I've always had immense difficulty learning something easy, while I love learning more difficult things. I'm currently sitting in the special education math class, with the average person 4-5 grades younger than me, (because the school wants to humiliate me into doing my damn work), but I fail it every year. My friend sneaks honors calculus to me so I can do it for fun on my spare time, because that I TRULY find easy. I go insane when I have to sit there and hold a ruler to a triangle. In both advanced math classes and basic ones I don't do my HW, I never have and I never will, and I can't. I literally can't, it drives me insane. So what do I do here? I feel trapped in a loop of idiocy.

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Apr 2017, 1:35 pm

Me too! Whenever I take standardized tests and the answer key comes back with the questions labeled by difficulty I get the easy ones wrong and the hard ones right. Even when I was in 3rd grade I could long-divide with decimals in my head but I couldn't do a basic long-division problem on paper to save my life!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 1:22 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
Pretty simple, question in title. I've always had immense difficulty learning something easy, while I love learning more difficult things. I'm currently sitting in the special education math class, with the average person 4-5 grades younger than me, (because the school wants to humiliate me into doing my damn work), but I fail it every year. My friend sneaks honors calculus to me so I can do it for fun on my spare time, because that I TRULY find easy. I go insane when I have to sit there and hold a ruler to a triangle. In both advanced math classes and basic ones I don't do my HW, I never have and I never will, and I can't. I literally can't, it drives me insane. So what do I do here? I feel trapped in a loop of idiocy.

You may have a learning disability. Perhaps you struggle with actual numbers but understand math concepts just fine? If this is the case, you should be tested for a learning disability so you can use a calculator and advance in mathematics. Sometimes schools, in thinking that arithmetic is a foundation of mathematics, unintentionally hinder people with certain learning disabilities who will never be completely fluent in arithmetic but who could do very advance mathematics if they had a calculator to help them with arithmetic.

Don't let them hold you back.