Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 2:35 pm

Seriously I haven't got a clue. Anyone?

Can I do it if I am not able to eat more than one big meal a day?

At the moment that's how I'm eating.

Due to issues with my dad at home I rarely use the kitchen.

I'm gluten and dairy free and also rarely eat after 6-7 p.m. I don't have much sugar either and my mother and I always when we shop go for the free range or organic meats, and mostly organic vegetables too.

I'm not willing to use protein powders because they are all either derived from cow products or soy and most soy is genetically modified.

Can anyone share the secrets? :D

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Apr 2017, 4:04 pm

Sit ups - kind of straight forward with the arm movement.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 4:32 pm

There is no secret; you just need to do a few thousand crunches/sit-ups per day.
You can break it down into a few hundred at a time if you're not yet conditioned for a thousand in a row.
Work your way up towards being able to do a few thousand in a row non-stop to get multiple-pack abs.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2017, 6:34 pm

Suggested Answer: Go plant strong vegan; go to the gym; maybe get a trainer if you can afford it. My own stomach paunch is down to the point where it seems soon enough I will have 6 pack abs, mainly just by going vegan. On the other hand, it is like an assymptotic decrease that inches down ever slower the closer you get to the goal. Dedication is certainly required.

Situps? Hmmm, not sure. Low imapact aerobic excercise probably makes the most sense. Stomach muscles get a hell of a work out all day long anyways. Why end up with huge ripped muscles covered in fat? _low impact_ (if overweight, your joints are already getting a heavy beating every day, why stress them more) _high calorie_ workouts. Gym bikes and the like... Fat burns into sweat and CO2, so make sure to breathe while working up that sweat.

Mixed bag of suggestions following. Fasting for a while can also help reset your body, but can be hard (no experience myself, but obviously be careful). Work out in the morning before you eat. Your body is max carb deprived when you first wake up. By working out in the morning and eating well and regularly your body will go into a new metabolic fat burning state. Your body, if it goes into starvation mode it can make loosing weight harder. Confuse your muscles too, don't let your workout be routine, have goals, 1/2 mile this week, 1 mile next, that kind of thing. So many people go to the gym and never loose weight, they just maintain. They never improve only because they do not think in terms of goals.

Another tip, eat fruit, lots of it. Fruits are mostly water and fiber, perfect for loosing weight. Plus fruits are filled with phytonutrients that help humans feel better, making that future trip to the gym easier.

Also, probably safe idea to consult a competant Dr. or nutritionist on lifestyle choices (evidence based Drs. and nutritionists, that is to say, ones who understand what the science has been screaming at us, which is roughly the following: humans are Frugavores[fruit eaters] with a predilection for highly starchy foodstuffs [rice, beans, legumes, pasta, etc]). Just trying to play it safe here. You are supposed to say go see a Dr. anyways in these "discussions" anyways (even though MD's are way undertrained on clinical nutrition and believe so often in the common culturally recieved 'wisdoms' > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_effect).

BTW, Atkins/Paleo/etc. That is all junk. Ketogenic Diets are disease diets. You can handle it when young, but there are so many ways in which you are killing yourself faster by going on them. And no one lasts on them, they all cheat to get carbs. Why??? Because the main metabolic pathway in the body is the citric acid cycle, which mainly runs on carbs in order to produce ATP. You running on proteins is like a high-performance car running on Diesel... wrong fuel, burn out the engine and mess stuff up. Sound similar at all? Diabetes, heart disease, obesity??? Your brain only runs on carbs because of the blood-brain barrier. The pattern is clear, believe it or not.

The real human Paleo Diet was pretty much Vegan anyways! It is a sad joke on humanity, this enduring belief that we should, or even need to, eat animal products passed our weening time. We don't. You are killing yourself with 'food' eating that stuff. Sorry to give the bad news. Especially dairy and eggs. That stuff is evil bad for you, but each of the animal products comes with a unique collection of horrors. Fish are polluted in best of circumstances and filled with fat of the bad kind (and a smidgen of the good kind, ALA-3, which funilly enough they get from seaweed, a plant! So why not get it from the source???). Beef has most of the pollution of fish but the iron in the blood messes you up in its own ways I have heard. Chickens are some of the nastiest creatures on the planet in terms of bio vectors. Wash the chicken, wash your board, cook forever, those obesogenic microbes are still likely to get at you!

Best advice I can give. This is real folks. Sorry for length but I wanted to be complete.

Has anyone else noticed there are a lot of topics on this site about how to look good and topics related to that???

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 11:50 pm

Getting abs is all about being lean enough to see them. Ab exercises will make them bigger and more defined, but that layer of fat above them has to be thin enough for them to poke through. For most people abs start showing at 10-12% body fat.

Getting lean is all about being in a caloric deficit. I wrote a post on fat loss here recently, which covers what you need to do, which is basically just tracking your calories and protein. If you do this consistently, your abs will show up.

As far as actual ab exercises go, I like hanging leg raises. These apply much greater resistance than regular sit ups variations. But to be honest, I don't think training abs is all that important.
Get started on a routine that trains your whole body. This will make dieting easier, as building muscle increases your metabolism, and it will also make you look better once you lean down.

edit: Since you don't eat dairy or soy, pea protein powder might be a great alternative to whey. Other than that, meats, eggs and fish are of course excellent sources of protein.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 2:45 am

Hmm, taking on board the replies, I am thinking I will try to join a gym and do a lot of exercise. Possibly also start having pea protein powder in my smoothies. I already have blueberries, freshly squeezed oranges and lemons in my smoothie every day so I think I'm getting some good nutrients.

I also starting today began to have wheatgrass powder mixed into my smoothie. Wheatgrass is made from young wheat grasses before they sprout and they are one of the healthiest things you can get.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 6:19 am

fifasy wrote:
Hmm, taking on board the replies, I am thinking I will try to join a gym and do a lot of exercise. Possibly also start having pea protein powder in my smoothies. I already have blueberries, freshly squeezed oranges and lemons in my smoothie every day so I think I'm getting some good nutrients.

I also starting today began to have wheatgrass powder mixed into my smoothie. Wheatgrass is made from young wheat grasses before they sprout and they are one of the healthiest things you can get.

There are alot of great programs out there to choose from, but remember when picking, you want it to emphasize compound movements(benchpress, squat, pullups, military press ect.) any program that doesn't, is a sh***y program in my opinion. These are the movements that will get you a six pack. They work several muscle groups simultaneously, thus building more muscle and burning more calories.

The great thing about lifting as a beginner, is that once you get the hang of things, you will most likely progress fast. In my opinion, the most important thing to focus on is strength. You should be adding weight or repetitions on the main movements every single session you have. Of course the first couple of times it's a good idea to use a weight that's easy to control, just to learn the movements (and don't be afraid of looking like a wimp, we've all been there).
Your gym sessions shouldn't be longer than 45 mins.

As far as nutrition goes, like I said, calories and protein, that's all there is to it really. Eating "healthy foods" is great for your health, but when it comes to body composition, food selection makes 0 difference. Sure, eat your protein, eat your veggies, but don't be afraid of "unhealthy" foods either. I ate alot cleaner 2 years ago, but I am much leaner now because I am more focused on what actually matters, despite eating desserts every night. Because in the end, the science shows, again and again, calorie intake is what it comes down to. And studies show, that people who are more flexible with their diets, tend to be alot more succesful.