Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 9:57 pm

A friend was ready to trash his computer because it seemed to be dead. He'd been told it was the power supply. The computer is a Dell XPS 8300.

He ordered a replacement power supply from an Amazon seller. I told him I'd see what I could do, and today he gave me the computer and the new power supply. (The shipment box hadn't even been opened yet.)

I removed the old power supply, and in putting the new one in, I noticed it had a funny little button next to the power light on the back of the supply, right below where the power cord plugs in.

The original supply, tho' not working, had its green power light come on as soon as the cord was connected.

The new one didn't.

(I also noticed the model number wasn't the same, which makes sense seeing as the new one has that button, tho' otherwise looks identical.)

Anyway, with the optical and hard drives connected to the power supply, and the 4-pin and 24-pin connectors on the motherboard also connected, I plugged in the power cord. (This was when I noticed no light came on.)

I hit the computer's power button, but nothing happened.

Then, I tried pushing the odd little button next to the power light. The light came on, and a minute later the computer was going into Windows. The desktop came up, the programs seemed to run normally...

Then I let go of the weird little button on the power supply.

The power light went out and the computer went dead.

Any idea what's going on here?

Why is it running only with that weird little button held down? Why is the computer's own power button NOT giving the machine power?

Any ideas, guys?

I'm on the verge of trying to buy a Corsair power supply for it, the same one I've used in two computers I built. Think that might be the thing to do?

Thank you.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 10:13 pm

sounds like a faulty cord to me...it should certainly give the computer power if you plug it in, you shouldn't have to hold a button. Maybe if you go to a dell store or a store that sells them they could give you a proper cord. I mean you can order ok cords off the internet but there isn't much guarantee it will actually work with your computer. Maybe try an look for a cord for the model of dell it is on ebay?

I know a couple years ago I bought a PS3 system and the cord they sent with the controller was messed up, I ended up messeging them and they sent me a new controller because I thought that was the problem at first...but they sent the new controller and it still wouldn't work till I found a random PS3 controller cord in my room. So I figured out it was the cable and sent them a message that their controllers weren't faulty, it was the cord. So I know sometimes stuff like that can happen....but I am sure if you got a functional cord for that model of computer it should work.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 10:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
sounds like a faulty cord to me...it should certainly give the computer power if you plug it in, you shouldn't have to hold a button. Maybe if you go to a dell store or a store that sells them they could give you a proper cord. I mean you can order ok cords off the internet but there isn't much guarantee it will actually work with your computer. Maybe try an look for a cord for the model of dell it is on ebay?

I know a couple years ago I bought a PS3 system and the cord they sent with the controller was messed up, I ended up messeging them and they sent me a new controller because I thought that was the problem at first...but they sent the new controller and it still wouldn't work till I found a random PS3 controller cord in my room. So I figured out it was the cable and sent them a message that their controllers weren't faulty, it was the cord. So I know sometimes stuff like that can happen....but I am sure if you got a functional cord for that model of computer it should work.

The cord was borrowed from my own computer, which is running fine.

The problem is that the supply is only giving juice to the computer if that button is held down. Again, the original supply had no such button, and they don't have the same model number. Unless there's something wrong with the motherboard where it's not responding to the power supply (and somehow that weird little button is FORCING juice into the motherboard), this makes no sense... Unless the power supply works differently from the original.

I may see if Best Buy has a 500W supply in stock tomorrow (Monday) and see if that does the trick.

This computer has an i7 in it. He's going to GIVE IT TO ME. I really want it to run. (Yeah, like I need another computer...BUT MY BEST MACHINE ONLY HAS AN i5!! ! :lol: )

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 10:35 pm

I have no idea what that button might be, but maybe it is a reset button for a circuit breaker that will not remain reset like it should. In any case, be sure any other power supply you might get is actually compatible with your specific Dell. At least in years past, Dell did some funny things with pins and wiring so only their OEM stuff would work.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 10:39 pm

leejosepho wrote:
...be sure any other power supply you might get is actually compatible with your specific Dell. At least in years past, Dell did some funny things with pins and wiring so only their OEM stuff would work.

THAT is what I'm afraid of.

He only paid something like $45 for this new power supply, tho' it APPEARS to be a Dell part.

I talked with Dell for him tonight, and they want $135 for a refurb of the original supply.

You get what you pay for...

WHY is the Corsair supply only about half that price? 8O

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 11:15 pm

Sethno wrote:
He only paid something like $45 for this new power supply, tho' it APPEARS to be a Dell part.

Sell-em-and-run-away knock-offs and counterfeits are easy to make, but I would not accuse Amazon of doing that.

Sethno wrote:
I talked with Dell for him tonight, and they want $135 for a refurb of the original supply.

You get what you pay for...

WHY is the Corsair supply only about half that price? 8O

I would want to know why the Dell is so high!

If the Corsair or any other name brand can guarantee compatibility, that would likely be my choice. Also, I buy most of my computer stuff from my favorite online auction site...but I do my research very carefully and never jump at something merely because of price.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 2:47 pm

Sethno wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

The cord was borrowed from my own computer, which is running fine.

The problem is that the supply is only giving juice to the computer if that button is held down. Again, the original supply had no such button, and they don't have the same model number. Unless there's something wrong with the motherboard where it's not responding to the power supply (and somehow that weird little button is FORCING juice into the motherboard), this makes no sense... Unless the power supply works differently from the original.

I may see if Best Buy has a 500W supply in stock tomorrow (Monday) and see if that does the trick.

This computer has an i7 in it. He's going to GIVE IT TO ME. I really want it to run. (Yeah, like I need another computer...BUT MY BEST MACHINE ONLY HAS AN i5!! ! :lol: )

Could be the cord you borrowed from the other computer isn't compatible with the dell computer you have. You might be able to find a cheap cord on ebay, just make sure to type in the computer you have so then it can show options for that computer.

I did that for my old sony Vaio I have an Acer now but yeah cord for it stopped working....so I just ordered a cheap one off Ebay for the Vaio model It was probably sort of a knock off cord but it worked just fine...and was probably quite a bit cheaper than trying to get one from sony.

FeardyBase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Apr 2017, 4:32 pm

It could also be that some other failing internal component on that PC is causing increased current draw beyond what the PSU can supply without shutting down to protect itself. Check fans rotate freely, and try with as many things as possible disconnected (optical drives, additional hard drives, add-in cards not CPU or GPU fans though). I've had this type of thing from a failing hard drive in the past as well, not easy to diagnose if it's that if the PC shuts off because of it, although if the machine will POST with it disconnected, it might be time to try substituting that for a known good one, if you have a spare kicking round, and see what happens.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 9:48 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Could be the cord you borrowed from the other computer isn't compatible with the dell computer you have. You might be able to find a cheap cord on ebay, just make sure to type in the computer you have so then it can show options for that computer.

You may have misunderstood. This isn't a power supply, a brick on a power cord. It's JUST an electrical cord. There's no way it can't be compatible. We're talking about a tower here, not a laptop.

The power cord you want replaced is just an electric cord that does nothing but carry juice. There's no way it could be incompatible.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 9:51 pm

Sethno wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

You may have misunderstood. This isn't a power supply, a brick on a power cord. It's JUST an electrical cord. There's no way it can't be compatible. We're talking about a tower here, not a laptop.

The power cord you want replaced is just an electric cord that does nothing but carry juice. There's no way it could be incompatible.

Ah yeah I was thinking of a laptop, lol its been ages since I've had a desktop. IDK maybe take it to best buy or some kind of electronics store with knowledgable employees or a computer repair place and ask them what to do, maybe they could even take a look at it.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 10:11 pm

FeardyBase wrote:
It could also be that some other failing internal component on that PC is causing increased current draw beyond what the PSU can supply without shutting down to protect itself. Check fans rotate freely, and try with as many things as possible disconnected (optical drives, additional hard drives, add-in cards not CPU or GPU fans though). I've had this type of thing from a failing hard drive in the past as well, not easy to diagnose if it's that if the PC shuts off because of it, although if the machine will POST with it disconnected, it might be time to try substituting that for a known good one, if you have a spare kicking round, and see what happens.

That's what I've been wondering. I tried removing first one set, then the other set of memory sticks. The first set being gone left the computer not even booting. With them back in place but the other set gone, the computer did boot, but still only if the button on the power supply was held down.

At this point I'm wondering if the thing to do is just take the processor (an i7!! !!) off the mother board, and hope I can find a mother board that can fit in the case and see if the processor still works. It does look like the board MIGHT be an ATX. You know how that can be, tho'...

FeardyBase

04 Apr 2017, 10:46 pm

Might be worth taking it to a (good) computer repair shop for a "proper" investigation, beyond what I've said to try already, there isn't much a "typical" hobbyist can do by way of diagnosis besides looking for broken components, or obviously blown capacitors, a decently equipped shop will have gear to test the PSU (even new ones have been known to be dead or faulty on arrival, had it happen to me recently, only I had a tester and could definitively spot the fact), means to check the voltages of the various supply rails under load (with the machine booted) for proper voltage, some will have RAM testers, and most will have a range of "known good" components to exchange for elimination purposes.

Not sure I can be any more help at this point.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 10:13 pm

Sethno wrote:
A friend was ready to trash his computer because it seemed to be dead. He'd been told it was the power supply. The computer is a Dell XPS 8300.

He ordered a replacement power supply from an Amazon seller. I told him I'd see what I could do, and today he gave me the computer and the new power supply. (The shipment box hadn't even been opened yet.)

I removed the old power supply, and in putting the new one in, I noticed it had a funny little button next to the power light on the back of the supply, right below where the power cord plugs in.

The original supply, tho' not working, had its green power light come on as soon as the cord was connected.

The new one didn't.

(I also noticed the model number wasn't the same, which makes sense seeing as the new one has that button, tho' otherwise looks identical.)

Anyway, with the optical and hard drives connected to the power supply, and the 4-pin and 24-pin connectors on the motherboard also connected, I plugged in the power cord. (This was when I noticed no light came on.)

I hit the computer's power button, but nothing happened.

Then, I tried pushing the odd little button next to the power light. The light came on, and a minute later the computer was going into Windows. The desktop came up, the programs seemed to run normally...

Then I let go of the weird little button on the power supply.

The power light went out and the computer went dead.

Any idea what's going on here?

Why is it running only with that weird little button held down? Why is the computer's own power button NOT giving the machine power?

Any ideas, guys?

I'm on the verge of trying to buy a Corsair power supply for it, the same one I've used in two computers I built. Think that might be the thing to do?

Thank you.

I've never had a power supply with a button. However some have had on/off switches of their own. I imagine the button is a power switch to the power supply, or a circuit breaker reset switch, as someone else mentioned.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 9:05 pm

I tried the original power supply in the second computer I built (which has been sitting around for months doing nothing...if the power supply wrecked it, no extreme loss.)

The computer booted and ran fine...for a couple days. (I eventually restored my original power supply, so the Dell one can be used in that computer again.)

I was satisfied it's not a power supply problem. My friend's sending the replacement power supply back, and I've ordered (and received already) a new board.

Will address the next problem in a different thread, since this one is about the power supply.

Thanks for your replies.