Study - autistic traits and cybercrime link?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 3:01 am

Scientists to study a potential link between autism-like personality traits and cyber crime Project aims to look at potential correlation and feed it into the Prevent counter-terrrorism programme to help would be cyber criminals

Quote:
Richard Mills, of Research Autism, said: "We are not setting out to prove there is a link between cyber crime and autism.

"There is already a connection between autism and cyber crime in the public's mind, but our research will identify whether there is any truth in the association with autistic traits."

Researchers also hope to highlight how highly computer-literate people might help prevent cybercrime for businesses, industries and government.

The project will involve interviewing people convicted of cyber crime and those served with cease and desist orders.

A large-scale survey across the general population will also be conducted.

Happy Autism Acceptance Month

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 4:21 am

In my case there is a correlation: i'm an experienced IT-Forensics analyst that have made people who do bad things go away.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 8:20 am

I would say there's more of a link between people who stay isolated on their computers--autistic or not---and cybercrime.

In my experience, there's a considerable correlation between boredom and the potential to commit all sorts of crime--including cybercrime.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 10:56 am

I know very little about computers myself and am not able to grasp most computer terminology I hear or figure out coding and so on.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2017, 4:19 pm

Even though the color of authority serves no definite purpose, neither does the crime, per se. There is generally no discrete, nameable goal, besides to gain some kind of notoriety or cause embarrassment.

I would be more-willing to call it autistic, if there was some concrete result from it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 4:42 am

In the minds of the dumb public "different equals evil", but the fact is that with old fashioned noncyber crime autistics are more likely to be victims than to be perps. Autism sets you up to be the bowling pin, and not to be the bowling ball.

Different demographic groups gravitate to different crimes.Women have an advantage over men in being successful at prostitution for example. Likewise a person with hacking skills would be at an advantage over someone without in cyber crime. I suppose that folks who have an aptitude for hacking might also tend to have autistic traits.But I dont see any evidence that the reverse is true:that being autistic causes you to be good at hacking, and also that it incentivizes you to use that skill for nefarious purposes. Revenge of the nerds! Im dx'd and I can get even "hack' into stuff that I am supposed to get into online.

Sort of a dumb article. The gist is "we havent found any unicorns yet, but we will launch a study to see if the public is right in believing that unicorns exist".