Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MTopete948
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2017, 2:56 pm

Hi,

I am a fourteen-year-old teenager who was diagnosed with Aspergers at the age of only five. Being an introvert, I can be quite paranoid with social gatherings and anything that puts me in the "fight or flight" response. Thus, I judge my own actions upon how others perceive me. Sometimes leading me to into depressive states. Otherwise, I'm all fine with the exception of my grades. I always get distracted by the computer, in that I do online school work, and can never "start" an assignment so to speak. If I feel like I can't do an assignment, or don't have the "feeling" to do so, I leave it behind. This leads for the assignment to never be started. I know I am capable, but my habit alters that mindset. All in all, I don't have any self-discipline for work. Anyways, here is a little more about myself.

I have an obsession with technology and phones, being glued to the screen for hours on end. Almost like a compulsion.
I am mentally disorganized but seemingly organized. In other words, I am a perfectionist. One small wrinkle on the bed and I am done for. Clothes are always organized by color, and drawers are sectioned for each item. Not to forget about obsessively cleaning my personal items.
Sadly, I'm obese with an undiagnosed eating disorder. No matter what, I keep eating without knowing whether I'm full or not. It is a coping mechanism for my boredom.
I understand sarcasm and modern humor. In fact, I even like dark humor!
I have only close friends, all of which do not know of my disorder. I get along with each very well and quite normally.
Sensitivity to light might be an issue but not as much as compared to sound. The ambiance and talking of students in a class can make me uncomfortable, sometimes having to ask the teacher for a break if needed. More so, crowds talking is my worst stressor next to silence.
My emotions are quite stagnated when stressed but are easily conceivable to the normal person. However, this is only coming from my perspective.
I hate having to answer calls but might call others if needed. However, I don't like to talk to relatives that I don't feel so close to.
As stated before, I am very well self-aware and conscious of my actions.
Rarely, but recently, I've felt lost at days not knowing where or who I am. It can scare me at times.
I still exhibit constant fiddling and sensory stimulation. Clicking pens and constantly having to hold a pencil or similar object.
I have difficulty sleeping and now take melatonin before going to bed.
Extra: I like music and can be described borderline-audiophile.

I think that I've written enough for my introduction post. Look forward to the responses! :D
(P.S. the misdiagnosis has to do with the understanding of humor and social things.)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2017, 3:21 pm

Welcome!

I certainly wouldn't say that you were misdiagnosed. After all, your self-description matches mine almost perfectly. I had a sense of humor at your age, though it wasn't too dark. And, I was notorious for failing to do homework. I simply wouldn't do it. So, I ended up with a D+ grade average despite my test scores ranking almost in the 90th percentile.

Your diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome seems quite accurate. You seem, as my psychology diagnostician told me in a slight German accent after my own diagnosis: "You have mild autism with very, very high intelligence." Don't beat yourself up too much. You are exactly where you should be at your age.

Are there other reasons you are worried?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

MTopete948
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2017, 10:13 pm

Nope, that's all I want. :D

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2017, 3:08 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D