Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 12:06 am

I like the Beatles. I'd have a hard time picking just one song.
I do find myself humming dear prudence quite a bit, though.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 5:14 am

I love the Beatles. McCartney is brilliant and under appreciated, despite his popularity. My favorite Beatles songs are "Fixing a Hole," "For No One," "It Won't be Long," "Julia," "I'll Be Back," "All My Loving," "Please Please Me," "The Word," "Helter Skelter," "Tomorrow Never Knows," "Eleanor Rigby," and many others. It's easier to think of the songs I dislike ("All Together Now," "The Ballad of John and Yoko").

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 12:55 am

They have a few good songs, but overall I think they're very much overrated.

Why yes, I am a conservative.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 11:34 am

I own the entire Sargeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album! :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2017, 5:39 pm

Grew up with the Beatles when they were current. Still love them.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 4:17 pm

Blackbird is a good song, too.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 5:09 pm

I generally prefer classical music, but love The Beatles.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 6:51 am

Just found this, and it looks very interesting.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 3:53 am

I have most of their albums in both LP and CD form, a few documentaries including the interesting Ron Howard- produced "8 days a week - the touring years." I have made compilations for people as gifts. I hung onto every word o their '94 documentary. I first got interested in them when back in the early 80s I found a paperback book called "the love you make" which was an excellent retelling of the Beatles' story from their early days until their breakup. I really dig the backstory of some of their songs such as "fool on the hill" which, it turns out has a musical "etymology" that is quite complex, but is rooted in a weird paranormal incident when Paul was walking his dog [named Martha] atop primrose hill overlooking London, and as he watched the sunrise, he noticed Martha went missing. Paul looked around for her when he encountered a strange man wearing a belted raincoat- the two exchanged pleasantries about the sublime view of the city atop the hill, then Paul turned away from the man for an instant, and when he looked back the man was gone, which was strange because the nearest trees were hundreds of feet away and the man could not have run that far that fast. then again, since Paul was at that time a heavy user of mind-altering weed, it could just have been that his perceptions were up in smoke.

so that is one part of the fool on the hill, the original impetus for Lennon/McCartney to write it down on paper. the other part of the fool has to do with George and his veneration of the maharishi, "head in a cloud, the man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud" [IOW the Hindu religion has been referred as being made up "of thousands of gods/voices"]- and when George tried to get Paul and john to share his interest, he was met with indifference ["but nobody ever hears him, or the sound he appears to make, and he never seems to notice..."], IOW john and Paul weren't listening. so i am gathering that the maharishi was indeed the other major part of the subject of "the fool on the hill."
:dj:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 3:57 am

the magical combo [which is unlikely to be exactly repeatable] of the exact composition of the Beatles, augmented by the specialized powers of producer George Martin and quasi-impresario Brian Epstein, produced something which was greater than the sum of its parts. it all snapped into place when Ringo replaced Pete Best [who represented a culture clash] and they all ended up at Abby Road Studios. this could've made a cracking novel had it not been a real life happening, it could be some other dimension's grand musical fantasy story, quite possibly.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 5:42 pm

Just listened to The Beatles (the artists after they went solo). I'm speechless in describing those experiences in listening to John's, Paul's, George's, and Ringo's.

In listening to these classics, I wondered if such awesome music can (if for the briefest time) yield the notions of similarities between NTs and those of us on the spectrum?

These classics were recorded before the Autism Spectrum was understood. Personally, I remember as a kid back in 1970s that such music piqued those important experiences in the psyche (for lack of a better term) which might have otherwise remained overlooked.

At the time, I though such awesome music would play-on forever. With all of the junk today, I regret taking such genius for granted. It's been said, "you don't know what you have..until it's gone!"

Anybody else feel the same?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 6:39 pm

^^^ yup :dj: anybody here watch that recent movie "yesterday"?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 5:26 pm

We listen to these classics again, and again, and again, and..............for the first time!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 6:01 pm

not too many other cats have done their own versions of stones songs, but everybody and their brother has done something or another by the beatles, even frank sinatra!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 8:15 pm

Yes just about everyone in every genre of music (jazz, pop, rock, country, soul) does a Beatles cover. But very few do Stones covers.

Two women prog rockers have done good and fairly popular versions of "Wild Horses" in the 2000s, and back in the mid Sixties Otis Redding did a kick ass version of "Satisfaction". There have been other Stones covers. But those are the only ones with close to mainstream popularity that I am aware of. Leon Russel did a long crazy story telling jam that repeatedly quoted "Jumpin Jack Flash".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 8:20 pm

^^^

Naturalplastic wrote:
Yes just about everyone in every genre of music (jazz, pop, rock, country, soul) does a Beatles cover.

ya left out classical-