How psych drugs drove my autisitic son crazy (article)

Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 9:50 am

I was way crazier (objectively) before I started legal drugs. I only think about killing everyone half the time now.... :wink:

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 1:10 pm

Quote:
When I was in high school I was prescribed Abilify, and I remember I was on it for about a week before I totally refused to take anymore. My doctor told me I needed to give it more time, but I seriously can't even imagine what kind of disorder a person would have to have in order for that sh** to be able to help them.

Severe Major Depressive Disorder. When my wife was on it, she was able to go for weeks without contemplating suicide (which is pretty good for her).

This is why thorough exams are so necessary. These mental health disorders are lumped together and the drugs are lumped together and people are just treated like guinea pigs. One has to rule out bipolar, soft bipolar (cyclothymia), depressive disorder, stress, General Anxiety Disorder, etc et al.
I self diagnosed me with Major depression, but I'm not a psych, don't know everything. I go to a psychologist and weed out the AS traits from the depression and figure out that I'm likely either soft bipolar or have some serious hormone problems. I'm going through some non-medication treatments before trying the next thing (hormones).

BTW, I don't think the author, Ann Bauer, contradicts her story with the other one. I think she was writing about two separate events in her son's life (though I'm confused with the timeline) and focusing on specific traits that affect the stories.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 1:57 pm

Halfway through the story, I have to say that my mother has no idea how easy a time she had.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 2:17 pm

The doctors do not run tests that show whether a drug accumulates in some people and causes damage to the nerves and organs. In this area and in other areas of health they ignore any negative effects that might come from the use of their treatments. Attitudes that I have encountered range from indifferent to totally pathological. Anyone who shows some comprehension of the science involved is automatically wrong, even crazy. They are even likely to up your dosage if they decide that you're being too smart.

I agree about the kickbacks. I may find myself working three shifts and eating baloney (yes, I mean baloney, not bologna), to pay their bills and still find myself with health that would have been better had I been left alone. People should have started and stuck with campaigns against kickbacks while it was still a thing about sanity and ethics, and a lot less about the revenge that people need these days.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 5:03 pm

This article makes me crazy. At the end it has this "warning":

Quote:
In retrospect, Libby Pedrazzani knows she saw signs that something was wrong with her son Kevin. But at the time it was difficult to figure out if his behavior was a normal part of adolescence or symptomatic of an illness. He came home at Christmas time, wanting to take time off from college to decide on a major. But he withdrew from his friends and family and began staying up at night and sleeping during the day, retreating more and more into his room and away from the world. Between that December and the next summer, something happened.

"He was sitting on the sofa and hadn't been working. I was talking to him while he was watching TV and saying, 'You have to do something, go back to school or get a job.' He didn't appear to be listening. So I gently put my hand on his shoulder, and he sprang out of the chair -- and I don't think he meant for it to happen, didn't realize how strong he was -- but he sent me flying across the room. When I looked into his eyes, I knew that it wasn't my Kevin. I knew that he had lost control." He was 22 years old, and having his first psychotic episode.

Pedrazzani's husband came running into the room, and while the two of them tried to subdue Kevin, their daughter called the police. The police then gave him two choices: treatment at a hospital or jail. He chose the hospital, and was diagnosed as schizophrenic. "That's something that cuts through to the soul of a person but that was the only way to get him to a hospital," she says. "When I look back at it, I think that some higher entity was helping us out because he didn't see a problem or a need for help.

Contrast it with the experience of Ann Bauer, whose son was medicated. Also, where does Pedrazzani get off talking about him not seeing a problem or a need for help? She didn't seem to know either. It also sounds like an attack wasn't really intended, but haul out the straightjacket and meds because he lost it one time, that's the ticket. Jerks. My mother had many psychotic episodes, with me being the one beat up, and I was never able to get a complaint registered against her.

Here is what another alleged schizophrenic did, while on medication. Kansas City Star Article

Quote:
Ellmaker, 20, was convicted in the Aug. 17, 2004, death of Zenner, 26. She was stabbed and cut with a chainsaw during an appointment with Ellmaker at the Overland Park home where he lived with his mother.

Ellmaker was on medications, as part of a supervised medication program, and he lost it one last time when the person who supervised his medication came into his home and his room. I have to tell you all, if I were ever on a program like that, that person would never come inside my house. You all can do a Google search on Ellmaker and chainsaw, and what I see is that some person from wherever thought she had the right to go into his home and his room any time she wanted and handle him. If he didn't like it, a gang of toughs would come in and force him to submit to it. That is a very bad recipe for dealing with someone who has issues. I don't think that his defense team did very well by him either.

Anyway, that Salon article had a scare story about not medicating schizophrenics before we even know that they have a problem, and the Kansas City Star and Ann Bauer have stories about what happens when you do medicate them.

I lived with and was manipulated by people who eventually forced a sort of mental paralysis on me. I LOATH them for that. They were so "afraid" but they were generally also complete buttheads. I can prove that they were stupid, vicious, and incompetent. I can't say whether Anne Bauer ever participated in acts that eventually caused mental illness in her son, but I can say that my mother did and this reminds me of that. My mother used enough violence against me to justify a lot of violence in return, also. I am unsure how my nature was established before this started, but the program was designed to convert me to a life of violence and control against whoever I could find who was helpless. It didn't work but the effects made me very sick. Then of course the same people who made me sick wanted to try to make me well, or at least that's what they told me they were doing.

Had they succeeded in converting me to a life of violence against my fellow beings, by the time they broke me, no one would have been able to control me, least of all myself, because removing self-control is what they did and how they would accomplish that. The only solution that I can offer them to this "problem" is to stop doing it, duh. "Mainstream" America still gets its way by threatening and killing people. My own life is far too defined by the violence of others instead of by the things that I wanted to achieve, things like traveling to other planets, curing cancer, and writing good books about science and things. THEY took away my ability to do pretty much anything, and I tremendously resent having to be in recovery when I am nearly 50. I even resent not getting to do very many drugs and alcohol because a lot of those people seem to be enjoying life better than I do.

This "schizophrenia" or whatever the hell it is isn't something that comes from some mysterious difference in genetic coding, or at least not directly. It comes directly from efforts of other people to control my behavior. Their lack of knowledge leads them to attempt control when they have no idea where to direct it, not even to minimal life skills like working a job and keeping money in the bank. Their panic disorder type of thinking leads them to believing that it is necessary to interrupt my life, stun my system with drugs and threats, and force me away from my life if they see any "sign" which is exactly what that Salon.com article encourages them to do, not only to look for signs but to invent ways of using a new kind of thaumaturgy to dig them out of places where they might not even exist, and this is a further regression, looking not only for vague signs, but looking where there are no signs. None of the chemicals that they dose people with will improve brain functioning, either.

So I might end up rich and sort of happy or looking kind of happy, but what about the last thirty years that some idiot parasites decided to waste for me and pretend that I did it to myself?

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2007, 2:32 am

The neuro-logical structure of the autistics brain is different to that of a neuro-typical person. Who do the pharmacueticals make the drugs for? Neurotypicals - the ninety-nine percenters (makes sense). Taking this into account though - why prescribe the same drugs to autistics and expect similar results?
I makes no sense. I believe it is not only not diligent but is out right dangerous.
After sufferring from depression I took anti-depressants. Not only did they not address the condition but bit by bit I developed psychosis. It pretty much ruined my life at the time in a number of ways.
The strange things is once identifying the problem and addressing it with my doctor ad telling him I would stop them, what do you think he said..."good idea?"...."Sorry I didn't pick it up!"...."How can I help?"
No he berated me for stopping, blamed the depression on my psychosis, told me I should increase the dosage and to get in contact with my shrink. I learnt that he didn't like being told by patients to "Go f**k himself"
So I went through a bad time stopping the drugs and had a LOT of fallout and damage in my life to deal with. But I am still glad I stopped them and will NEVER go on them again

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 2:43 am

rossc wrote:
The neuro-logical structure of the autistics brain is different to that of a neuro-typical person. Who do the pharmacueticals make the drugs for? Neurotypicals - the ninety-nine percenters (makes sense). Taking this into account though - why prescribe the same drugs to autistics and expect similar results?

Isn't that kind of stretching the definition of neurotypical? It seems like someone who's really neurotypical wouldn't need meds.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 2:52 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
heres that episode i was talking about

http://www.unsolved.com/0000-GordiePage.html

Interesting story. He could be living under a bridge somewhere. I assumed most my adult life I would be homeless in the end.

Me too. The only thing which has prevented it
has been my love of my games. But, it looks
more and more as though I shall have to do
without them, and I see little point in fighting
for anything else material.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 3:03 am

does anyone know what the antidepressant is?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 6:11 am

rossc wrote:
After sufferring from depression I took anti-depressants. Not only did they not address the condition but bit by bit I developed psychosis.

I had a similar reaction to anti-depressants once.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 9:13 am

maldoror wrote:
rossc wrote:

Isn't that kind of stretching the definition of neurotypical? It seems like someone who's really neurotypical wouldn't need meds.

Well, NT at least in so far as they don't have an ASD.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 9:34 pm

rossc wrote:
I makes no sense. I believe it is not only not diligent but is out right dangerous.
After sufferring from depression I took anti-depressants. Not only did they not address the condition but bit by bit I developed psychosis. It pretty much ruined my life at the time in a number of ways.
The strange things is once identifying the problem and addressing it with my doctor ad telling him I would stop them, what do you think he said..."good idea?"...."Sorry I didn't pick it up!"...."How can I help?"
No he berated me for stopping, blamed the depression on my psychosis, told me I should increase the dosage and to get in contact with my shrink. I learnt that he didn't like being told by patients to "Go f**k himself"
So I went through a bad time stopping the drugs and had a LOT of fallout and damage in my life to deal with. But I am still glad I stopped them and will NEVER go on them again

This happens when doctors get kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies. I had thought that this practice had been outlawed, too. You can't trust their ethics when there is that much money involved. You can't trust MY ethics when it's easy to make that much money, dammit, and I like ethics.

HolyDiver
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 May 2007, 11:47 pm

This article scares me. I was on abilify... for 2 days, until I decided that I was done with drugs and pills. The bastard psychiatrist told my dear mother that I was going to hallucinate if I didn't take them. Just shows how right he is, I'm healthier than ever. I could have been the next in line to suffer this kid's fate (infact, I somewhat did while on all of the previous pills).

People fall on their asses all the time and get in the dumps, it's just the rougher part of life. You don't need ambiguous medications to get you through, regardless of what the psychiatrist says. Neurotypicals already don't have any guarantee as to what the pills fully do to them. Having an alternate neurotype just makes the dangerous elements into a damnation game.

I figured that psychiatrists were getting kickbacks, every business does (including mine), but the fact that it's people's health and lives on the line makes it more perverted and twisted. The term "therapist" fits quiet well.

THERAPIST

take this word and put a space between the "E" and the "R" to find what they really are

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 4:03 am

They take the "the" out of psychotherapist.

HolyDiver

22 May 2007, 3:41 pm

ahayes wrote:
They take the "the" out of psychotherapist.

nice one :D

mcsquared
Raven
Raven

05 Nov 2007, 9:52 am

Wolfpup wrote:
maldoror wrote:
rossc wrote:

Well, NT at least in so far as they don't have an ASD.

Not sure whether it's ok to revive a dead thread, but I have to ask about this definition of neurotypical. Because I was reading that autism isn't a psychiatric disorder, that it's a neurological disorder so my understanding is that you can be neurotypical but still have some abnormal label like depression? Since doctors are so fond of using the "chemical imbalance" model, I'm not really understanding why the rest of the mental health community wouldn't be talking about being "neurotypical".