ASD and antipsychotics-opinions sought

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 3:01 pm

I was wondering how many people here with ASD/self diagnosed ASD are on an antipsychotic, and whether you think it helps.
My AP helps with emotional reactivity but in terms of social communication/interaction difficulties does little.

invisibleboy
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2017, 6:17 pm

I have ASD and am on an antipsychotic for bipolar disorder and have been on several other antipsychotics for the same in the past, and none of them did a thing to help the ASD symptoms. But you mention emotional reactivity - it's hard to tease apart what comes from ASD, what comes from bipolar, and what comes from anxiety for me. I'm certainly less emotionally reactive now but I have to work at it - even meds don't cure that for me. The social symptoms, the obsessive interests, those never changed with antipsychotics.

everybody's playing the game
but nobody's rules are the same
nobody's on nobody's side

Trekkie83
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2017, 9:40 pm

My neuropsychiatrist, who works mainly with adults on the autism spectrum, seems to be a fan of antipsychotics. When I asked him why, he mentioned that he believes they may help with some of the sensory issues, among other things.

I've tried Risperidone and I find that it helps quite a bit with irritability, though it does have some side effects.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 10:00 pm

At my last hospital stay in 2013, I was put on Seroquel (quetiapine). It was supposed to calm me to be ready for sleep at night. Sure, I could fall asleep easily. But I gained 30kgs. So I stopped taking it with no adverse effects. I can get to sleep just fine now.

I also take haloperidol, which is an old antipsychotic. I take it for motor tic disorder, 5mgs every night.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 10:38 pm

Risperidone has made a huge difference for me. All my family members noticed. I have been on Zyprexa, which was good, but not as good as the risperidone. Yes, I have gained a lot of weight, but I'm trying to fight it with diet and exercise. I feel like it's worth fighting for, because it's​ the single most significant improvement i have experienced from a medication, and I have been through A LOT of them. My psychiatric nurse practitioner works at the same autism center where I also go for therapy, so he works almost exclusively with patients who are on the spectrum.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 10:59 pm

Redxk wrote:
Risperidone has made a huge difference for me. All my family members noticed.

In which way has it made a difference?

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 2:04 am

firemonkey wrote:
Redxk wrote:
Risperidone has made a huge difference for me. All my family members noticed.

In which way has it made a difference?

I have the ability to be light-hearted and more interactive. I think this is because I'm not continuously overwhelmed or "on overload" all the time. I still have plenty of episodes, but at least it's not constant.

jmncrr000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2017, 2:22 pm

I've taken an antipsychotic (risperidone) for about 2 1/2 years now, and has helped quite a bit with irritability and anger. It also helps keep my emotions under control, and I'm just a nicer person overall.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 5:43 pm

I was on antipsychotics, but my current psychiatrist doesn't seem to think I need them. He actually has me on Wellbutrin, Ritalin, and hydroxyzine. Hydroxyzine is taken as needed and does have a slight antipsychotic effect. I can use that to re-balance.
'
I seem to be doing well on these medications, and I like the way he "re-discovered" my ADHD (after being ignored by my last few psychiatrists, after I was diagnosed and treated for it as a kid).

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 5:58 pm

It slows down all of your ordinary responses, in my unprofessional, non-medical opinion, but does not change them.

But, I feel that formal medicine tends to favor self-treatment, where that is relatively harmless.

What are the objective consequences, of quitting that course of treatment, if you would choose to do that.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 9:29 pm

I'm on risperdal consta 25 mgs.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 2:02 am

i have health anxiety and the drug i was prescribed by my psyche is "escatilopram" (lexapro) and it is both an anti anxiety and an antipsychotic drug.

i am not psychotic, however there are not many drugs that can deal with anxiety except for benzodiazepines which have diminishing returns and are addictive (meaning eventually you have a tolerance to them and they have no effect, but you are seriously addicted to them (because giving them up makes ones anxiety very much higher than before they were commenced(and also physiologically dangerous)))

anyway, the effect on me is in reducing anxiety, but i do not feel any euphoria from increased levels of serotonin (by inhibition of the re-uptake mechanisms).

in fact i feel slightly "zombified" wherein i can just stare at something with no accompanying thought for quite a while.

i am not happy with the reduction of my mental activity, but i am thankful that i do not pace around with a thermometer in my mouth and a blood pressure monitor strapped to my arm while feeling the pulse in my throat for irregularities all day.

sometimes health anxiety is such a vicious circle, that i have even worried about having cancer due to my attempting to reason if it is cortisols that are causing the anxiety.

there is such a thing called a homunculus which is a depiction of the relative sensitivities of the sensations percieved in the body (look it up), so small things can be concentrated upon and magnify areas of that sensitivity to an extent where it certainly feels as if there is something drastically wrong, but anyway, that is a digression.

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2017, 3:08 am

In a 10year span,for 8yrs,i suffered from anxiety and hyperventilating daily and it came out of no where.
Doctors suggested and prescribed anti-anxiety meds and i'd try them once,then throw them out.
Then there's the many side affects and the fact,they cause other issues.
I personally like the way i think and dislike being dumbed down.

So i tried going vegetarian,eating healthy without the by products,herb supplements etc.

What's worked for me,is a healthy diet,knowing my stress triggers and what i can and can't handle.
A quiet home environment,somewhere i can retreat to and do my own thing.

I'd thoroughly recommend hemp oil,no not the type that will get you high.
And look for other natural alternatives,bannanas should be a daily staple too and or potassium and magnesium.

And of course,a healthy diet,free of contaminants or as much as possible.

I personally believe,what we consume,eat and drink,has an affect,along with WIFI and electromagnetic fields.
And they do cause an unbalance and some people are more susceptible than others.

Imo.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 3:17 am

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
In a 10year span,for 8yrs,i suffered from anxiety and hyperventilating daily and it came out of no where.
Doctors suggested and prescribed anti-anxiety meds and i'd try them once,then throw them out.
Then there's the many side affects and the fact,they cause other issues.
I personally like the way i think and dislike being dumbed down.

So i tried going vegetarian,eating healthy without the by products,herb supplements etc.

What's worked for me,is a healthy diet,knowing my stress triggers and what i can and can't handle.
A quiet home environment,somewhere i can retreat to and do my own thing.

I'd thoroughly recommend hemp oil,no not the type that will get you high.
And look for other natural alternatives,bannanas should be a daily staple too and or potassium and magnesium.

And of course,a healthy diet,free of contaminants or as much as possible.

I personally believe,what we consume,eat and drink,has an affect,along with WIFI and electromagnetic fields.
And they do cause an unbalance and some people are more susceptible than others.

Imo.

yeah well it should not be such a lot of work.

i don't like whats good for me much.

i was seeing a psychologist before i got the psychiatrist (recently), and the psychologist was into herbal remedies and meditation.

ok, have a few cups of camomile tea and say "aum mane padme hum" in a trance like state may work for some, but
not for me.

who knows, but i want seriously researched drugs and not witchcraft speculation to help me.

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2017, 3:31 am

@b9,

It shouldn't be a lot of hard work,but that's life,live and learn.
The road less traveled,has it's merits.

Anyhow,personally,i'll consume anything,as long as it's good for me,even if my stomach says otherwise.

I've had doctors suggest meditation,that doesn't work for me currently and as for herbal remedies,i do my own research and see what works or not.
Nothing ventured,nothing gained.

As for seriously researched drugs?These big pharma drugs,how are they concerned at helping you and others,apart from the goal of making dollars?

Seriously,look for other alternatives and other means from the mainstream.

Dig deep,be determined for whatever time it takes,just don't take the easy way out.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 4:04 am

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
@b9,

It shouldn't be a lot of hard work,but that's life,live and learn.
The road less traveled,has it's merits.

the road less traveled is less traveled because it is not the path of least resistance.

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
Nothing ventured,nothing gained.

many dead ends ventured , time wasted, and nothing gained.
got to know where to go, not just anywhere.

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
As for seriously researched drugs?These big pharma drugs,how are they concerned at helping you and others,apart from the goal of making dollars?

the dollars will keep coming if the medicine works. that's why they invest so heavily in research.

ElabR8Aspie wrote:
Seriously,look for other alternatives and other means from the mainstream.

Dig deep,be determined for whatever time it takes,just don't take the easy way out.

it can be considered that the easy way out is the only way out.

sorry about that.