Sleeping in different bedrooms, am I the only one?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2017, 9:24 am

I have always done this and I´m not feeling ashamed over it even if I know it´s a bit weird.
When family visits us I just say that I can´t sleep in the same room because of noices and the twist and turning, it makes me up all night. My spouse is fine with this, I mean, we done this for years now, it´s not news anymore.

But how do you sleep if you live with someone (or dating)? Different rooms? Same room? :heart:

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 1:15 pm

I'm presently sleeping in a separate room but that's mainly because we aren't at home and we can barely fit in the same bed. At home we always sleep in the same bed but that's only because we haven't bought a second one yet. The plan is for me to sleep an average of 2 nights a week in the other room mostly so I don't disturb her. I know my parents frequently sleep in separate rooms and I for the life of me can't understand what's so taboo about that?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 1:29 pm

My fiancé and I had separate bedrooms (he snored; and also, he was like sleeping with a furnace, and I couldn't STAND the HEAT).

If I were to enter into a living arrangement with someone, now, I would want us to get a place with two master bedrooms----that way, we'd have our own bathroom, as well.

My grandparents slept in separate beds; so, it's not such a big deal, IMO.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 1:41 pm

I sleep with my boyfriend and our cat and dog. We have a big bed and we generally don't disturb each other much with my boyfriend. Both of us are silent sleepers. Only, I don't like sleeping with the dog (noisy, covers most of the place). But he paces or cries all night if we don't take him in so letting him in is less torturous.

I wish I could have separate bedrooms with the dog :P

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 5:47 pm

I like sleeping in the same room with my boyfriend...sometimes he can be a noisy sleeper, or might roll over hogging the blankets or take up more than his share of the bed but its not hard to get him to scoot over or pull enough blanket back over myself or if worst comes to worst we usually have two blankets on or around the bed so I can always just grab the other one if need be. But yeah if I wake up from a bad dream or something it's nice he's there even if he's asleep it its comforting he's there. I also like cuddling some before going to sleep...once I am ready to go to sleep I usually want a little space because I just get to hot and sweaty if I have too much blankets or body heat but I still like to be in the same bed.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Apr 2017, 3:35 am

I love sleeping with my girlfriend & I love cuddling but she has fibromyalgia so cuddling can cause her pain so we only cuddle sometimes. We always sleep together thou when we're both home. She's on the spectrum too

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2017, 5:35 am

When my boyfriend visits we sleep together in one king-sized bed. If that was just a double-sized bed, I'd probably be unable to fall asleep. I like to have space around myself and occasional hugging, but not falling asleep in a cuddle, it's too warm, I can't move freely, it's just not what I need to have a restful night. Two separate bedrooms - it sounds appealing to me :)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 8:05 am

I've always liked sleeping in the same bed, although it takes some getting used to when it's a new girlfriend.

Currently, I sleep in a different room, because I'm on third shift and this room is much darker.

SCW73
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 May 2017, 10:22 am

I sleep in a different room but it's my youngest son's room so that won't last. I'm know it has bothered my husband some but I think he's grown not to be offended by it too much. If there were enough rooms for me to have my own I would. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. For years I slept in "our" room/bed and never slept well. When we moved and the kids finally had their own separate rooms the youngest wasn't ready to be alone so I set up a camping mattress in there and found that I sleep better. Probably because his snoring is softer than my husband's and I can block it with earplugs or ear bud headphones, no one's tossing and turning is bothering me, no one is snuggling, the only thing to bother me is the dog. I'm not diagnosed yet (still working on a child's dx) and this is one area that I think a it would help - help my hubby understand fully and not get feelings hurt by imagined slights.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 12:20 pm

My husband snores very loud so we don't sleep in the same room.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 1:30 pm

I am a same-bedroom guy.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 1:14 am

Sharing a bed with someone is really awkward for me, not because it's too intimate or anything (I'd like the cuddlyness of it), but because it's too hard to move around and get comfortable when there's another body in the way. Therefore, it's one of those things that sounds good and romantic until I actually tried it. There's a small chance that with a girl I'm actually romantically attracted to, I'd be able to put up with it (the only girls I've been in bed with I had no romantic feelings toward), but I doubt it. My parents, who are not on the spectrum, also sleep in separate beds, so it's not even specifically an aspie thing.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 7:07 am

biostructure wrote:
There's a small chance that with a girl I'm actually romantically attracted to, I'd be able to put up with it (the only girls I've been in bed with I had no romantic feelings toward), but I doubt it.

It is quite different.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 12:48 am

Sometimes I am just too flustered within the net of my own boiling froth of stress and sensory demands to have the capacity to share a space with someone, in the past I always relented and sought out or accepted the company once I had calmed down enough, when I was romancing I had no idea why I was assailed by tumultuous tossings and turnings so thought I was being an unfeeling cretin whenever I did not desire to have mattress union. I don't believe I could go a night without snuggling up with a girl I adore, the intimacy is not the issue, I actually always enjoyed sharing the space of sleep and drowsy ditherings, I need time to recharge and do my own pursuits and tinker thoughts though, so I need a side room of my own so I can insulate, this enables me to be a clearer lover when I emerge, you can come in but be sure to knock and ask me if I am detached from my daydreams, there will be a bed in there but it will be piled up with crap I have purged so don't mind the soft mountain ranges if you wish to descend from external exotic shores.