Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 May 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,187
Location: Chatham

21 May 2007, 2:23 pm

I will never join the millitary too strict too routine I just like my own way of life go by my own rules its easier



richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,553
Location: Leave only a footprint behind

21 May 2007, 2:26 pm

yah i know, dawg. of course they'll take anyone at there convinance, but no other times!!


_________________
Winds of clarity. a universal understanding come and go, I've seen though the Darkness to understand the bounty of Light


lugna_en
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 15

21 May 2007, 5:03 pm

My cousin is in the air force, she is HFA she is very happy there gives her a sense of structure, disipline and routine.

There is no way of saying that a person with ASD would be happy in the military because everyone is different. :D

Personally I think I would scream at the drill sargents or something, haha! Not for me. :lol:



Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 633
Location: Singapore

21 May 2007, 6:19 pm

dktekno wrote:
But what about people who suffer from anxiety and OCD?


If serious enough, the mental conditions do qualify a recruit to be downgraded to non-combat vocations. No one wants to give a loaded gun to a "nutcase". However, since there is a significant incentive to pretend to be crazy, unless there is some kind of record, like school counseling or a childhood diagnosis, it might be hard to convince the examiner.



bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 221
Location: San Diego

21 May 2007, 6:47 pm

i served to branches of the US military. The Army and the Marines. The army wasnt as bad although its lack of structure was what caused me to leave in the end. I then joined the Marines and after boot camp i noticed that the stress involved caused me to start going bald....its mass amounts of stress and although i am proud i finished and served my time, i would never do it again....my OCD helped me to become quite efficent with files and directives as i headed a couple of sections at a low rank while i was in...

all i knew when i went in was i didnt like to be around people and i had trouble socializing with them..when i went through the medical questions with the doctors they thought nothing of it and sent me ahead.... i didnt start meds and counseling until i was actually 2 years into the Marines...


_________________
the conventional view serves to protect society from the painful job of thinking.


DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,661
Location: Earth, mostly

21 May 2007, 7:40 pm

dktekno wrote:
But what about people who suffer from anxiety and OCD?

Quartermaster Corps. Next!


:wink:


_________________
Sodium is a metal that reacts explosively when exposed to water. Chlorine is a gas that'll kill you dead in moments. Together they make my fries taste good.


dktekno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 129

22 May 2007, 1:46 pm

Quote:
If serious enough, the mental conditions do qualify a recruit to be downgraded to non-combat vocations. No one wants to give a loaded gun to a "nutcase". However, since there is a significant incentive to pretend to be crazy, unless there is some kind of record, like school counseling or a childhood diagnosis, it might be hard to convince the examiner.


What happens if a draftee during training is afraid of heights and refuse to jump from a high place? Is he punished by canning?
(I know Singapore punish citizens with canning).



Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 633
Location: Singapore

22 May 2007, 7:02 pm

dktekno wrote:
What happens if a draftee during training is afraid of heights and refuse to jump from a high place? Is he punished by canning?
(I know Singapore punish citizens with canning).


That is a really stupid thing to say.



OMGpenguin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 172

22 May 2007, 7:20 pm

Not sure what canning is, but in the US, they'd probably just discharge you on a failure to adapt.



dktekno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 129

23 May 2007, 2:55 am

Canning -> caning - sorry for not spelling it correctly.

Does Singapore cane anxious draftees who are too anxious to jump from high places?

Offtopic -

Zeno, I asked you some questions on Singapores totalitarian system, but you haven't responded. Why?



Cliff
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 8 May 2007
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 27

23 May 2007, 5:31 am

dktekno wrote:
How do people with Aspergers Syndrome generally cope in the military?
I have conscription in mind.

Which countries with conscription drafts people with Aspergers Syndrome? And what do they do, if they figure out that the military is a hell for the draftee?

I do know that Singapore draft everybody and do not care about people with psychological or any other mental health problems or differences. They are drafted, unless they are actually mentally retarded, while Denmark excludes everybody with Aspergers Syndrome from the military (though I've heard of a few cases of aspies being allowed in the military, but this is against the rules).

What about Norway?
Sweden?
Finland?
Germany?
Greece?
Turkey?

I was in the Army for a few years. Barrack life wasn't all that good due to peoples behaviour, but active duty was great because everyone acted objectively and directly about everything. No ambiguous comms, insinuations or even political agendas. They had no choice because lives (theirs) depended on doing everything correctly without emotional involvement.
I remember once being sent to break some bad news to a guys wife. I just told her the details exactly as I had been told them. Later I got called things I can't print here. I did not understand, I was just following orders.
Another time I was told that someone had died and (remembering him rudely shouting at me for no good reason a couple of years earlier), I said "Good!" I was genuinely pleased. Again I was called some seriously bad names. I explained I didn't like the guy; this produced a frowned and puzzled expression.



Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 633
Location: Singapore

23 May 2007, 6:51 am

dktekno wrote:
Canning -> caning - sorry for not spelling it correctly.

Does Singapore cane anxious draftees who are too anxious to jump from high places?

Offtopic -

Zeno, I asked you some questions on Singapores totalitarian system, but you haven't responded. Why?


What does d...u...m...b spell? Go figure it out dktekno. We are here to talk about autism, not Singapore politics. As you claim to be a citizen of Denmark, stick to Danish politics and stop being a prick; you are in no position to label Singapore as a totalitarian state. It is also very obvious that you know nothing about the military. There are many ways of dealing with soldiers who fail to comply with a lawful order and caning is not one of them; but the alternatives are not more pleasant. Now go wank wank or whatever it is you do when you have been put in your place as the asinine little brat that you are.



Zeno
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 633
Location: Singapore

23 May 2007, 6:31 pm

dktekno wrote:
Every time I approach a forigner with a political question or facts about the political situation in his home country, I'm getting an enemy instead of a friend.

I do not understand why people are so strongly bound to their country.

I do not understand it, because when other people tell me about the problems in my home country (Denmark), I understand it fully and agree with them. For instance, when Amnesty International has critisized Denmark for the use of police brutality, I see nothing wrong in it. And I'd be glad to exchange political and cultural experiences with forigners.

When I have met singaporeans on the internet, one of the first things I do is to address the political situation in Singapore. So, I ask them about governmental censorship, the death penalty and caning.
And then they somewhat freak out and tell me to stick to my own country.


Why?

We are talking about humans. It doesn't matter where humans are being abused, be it Singapore or Denmark or on the moon.

To me, nationality means absolutely nothing.

Denmark... that is just where I live. I consider myself a citizen of Earth, and I consider everybody to be citizens of earth, and not in their respective countries. Nations mean nothing. Citizens mean everything.


So the cretin has done it more than once. He sent me this by PM and had previously asked me why Singaporeans do not revolt. Listen kid, it is none of your business what we choose to do. And if you want to talk about politics, go do it on another channel or better yet, a different forum. You are free to express an opinion, but if your opinions are stupid and childish, do not expect anyone to give a rat’s ass about them.



juancho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 4 Aug 2006
Age: 95
Gender: Male
Posts: 66
Location: New Zealand

23 May 2007, 8:33 pm

In 1943 (during WW II) in the U.S., if your body was warm they took you.

How to cope? I'm undiagnosed, my AS isn't full blown -- but you just shut out the rest of the world and keep going. Shutting out the rest of the world may be easier for Aspies than others. Lots of guys had to do that. I managed to get through 3 years of it.



giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 4 Mar 2007
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 304
Location: Best place on earth, Canada

24 May 2007, 6:35 am

[/quote]
I was in the Army for a few years. Barrack life wasn't all that good due to peoples behaviour, but active duty was great because everyone acted objectively and directly about everything. No ambiguous comms, insinuations or even political agendas. They had no choice because lives (theirs) depended on doing everything correctly without emotional involvement.
[/quote]
Iwas in the army until a couple of years ago, this was much the same for me; I like the order and structure. I guess even aspies can be drwn to the military just the same as NT's. A draft would cause significant problems I think as not everyone wants to be in the military, NT or not... :roll:


_________________
mostly harmless