Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Nav_Aspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2017, 7:39 pm

Not sure if this is an Aspie thing, or just me being lazy, but I HATE... HATE... working out.

I know that I have to do it in order to prevent myself from becoming a fat slob. It's the healthy thing to do, etc.

However, when I get in a gym environment, I get intensely bored with the workout. Seriously... weight goes up... weight goes down... weight goes up... weight goes down... BORING! Try some calisthenics... let me get on a mat and flop/twitch for awhile... YAWN... I try running because there's at least a periodic change in scenery, but even then I can't escape the thought that I'd get there faster if I just drove a car.

Not a diagnosed Aspie myself, but I've had a long train of people (one of which is my wife) telling me that I should probably look in to an Asperger's diagnosis and I also scored pretty good on that standard Asperger's test (>150 I think).

Are there any Aspie fitness nuts out there? How do you do it? How do you stay mentally engaged in your workout?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 9:42 pm

I feel the same, but I HATE cleaning, I have ALOT of problems. I think it is less energy.

Deathbox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2017, 10:13 am

I'm an NT with similar struggles when it comes to exercise and typically low dopamine, which obviously doesn't make the process any easier.

I just keep fun exercise gear around so it doesn't even feel like I'm exercising. Getting into hooping, skateboarding, cycling, etc (if time provides) can make the journey a lot more fun than going to the gym. The last time I had a gym membership, it was right next to my house and I still rarely worked up the gall to go and workout.

Also, people are getting pretty ripped with resistance bands and yoga if you have a look around on YT.

JoeNavy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2017, 1:30 pm

The only exercise that I have ever really loved was distance running. I hated team sports and for some reason calisthenics and weight training were always incredibly painful. I have enjoyed some forays into martial arts but despise dancing (any kind). I started distance running as a child when I realized that other kids (bullies) did not really have as much wind as I did, even when they were faster. If I could keep far enough away from them I could eventually wear them out. The only alternative was to fight. I had to fight quite a bit at first, but I got faster over distances and developed a reputation for taking vicious cheap shots in fights and they finally left me alone. I kept running because it was something that I didn't actually suck at. That generated its own kind of enthusiasm.