Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Apr 2017, 9:47 am

What one simple thing would you like non-autistic people to know about autistic people?

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 10:16 am

Sensory sensitivities. Every time I enter into a social or crowded environment. I'm getting bombarded with so much stimuli/information that my mind just can't sort it out in real time. It's like my brain just had a buffer overrun.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 10:40 am

I recently made keyring cards (like found at Stickman Communications). :heart: One of the common phrases that I use on several cards is, "Please be patient. I am not being rude; I have Autism Spectrum Disorder."

Yeah. I am never intentionally trying to be rude, but sometimes I may appear to be (like my reactions to sensory overload). :oops: I am sorry that it happens, and hope that, when it does, someone will kindly point it out, so I can further explain myself in order to clear it up.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 12:35 pm

pasty wrote:
What one simple thing would you like non-autistic people to know about autistic people?

That there is no simple explaination

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 12:43 pm

I would like them to understand that they may gain some insight into autism by listening to autistic people.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 2:12 pm

To learn about it. I have Asperger, I don't know what to call it now.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 3:28 pm

That it needs to be Autism Acceptance and not awareness, that Autism $peaks is evil, to NOT "light it up blue", that vaccines do not cause autism, and that if you've seen one autistic person you've only seen one autistic person.

Of course that's a lot of things, but I'll be lucky if they realize even just one of them. :doh:

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 3:40 pm

Sensory hyposensitivity/seeking.