Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

north404
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Apr 2017, 10:39 am

For a long time, when I was a kid, I used to be really shy because I noted how my voice compared to other girls and sometimes heard extended family members talk about how I sound like a boy. I've encountered other deep-voiced girls later in life, so I'm not as uncomfortable with my voice anymore ... I just genuinely don't have anything of quality to say in most situations.

In turn, I feel like my voice is still at an awkward "undeveloped" stage (although I'm 21); raspy and cracks quite a bit. I don't know if it's because I don't talk much (though I'd imagine one would have a "pure" voice in that case, if that makes sense lol) but I also have no range too. I know the range issue is very likely autism-related ... I'm generally monotone, if not, sometimes able to speak with a very slightly raised pitch (? if that's the correct term), to try to not sound so stiff. I definitely have issues with making expressions.

I also cannot sing. I always sing in the car when I'm by myself, but it's bad because I barely have any range. Usually my go-to when I sing is that slightly raised pitch, but it's just not good. It's almost hilarious actually, but it makes me incredibly insecure lol. I'd be a boring/awkward person to carpool with if anyone wanted to jam to music.

And in regards to autism and social awareness, I'm actually pretty genuinely aware of most, if not all, situations. I just don't give the proper reactions (usually express no reaction at all, pretend like I didn't hear them - even though I'm aware now that that's apparently a clear giveaway of being on the spectrum) and ultimately come off as unsettling or dumb or something because I'm so self conscious of my voice. I feel my voice (the deep monotone) would further invite some type of mockery towards me. If anything I might raise my eyebrows and nod as an acknowledgement, to sort of shrug off my awareness of how awkward I'm being by not being so expressive like other people are.

Anyway, I don't like my voice. I'm just thinking of how unfortunate it is that I can't appropriately express my emotions to others.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 2:16 pm

I was told as a child I had a boy voice as well. I certainly had a deep voice and still do to this day. I have noticed people have a surprised reaction when they hear me speak for the first time... it probably would not be so odd if I were not a small framed thing. Heh heh. Contrast, you know. I also tend to be rather monotone myself. I'm not much of a singer either, though one time in high school a lady who taught music tried to get me to take singing lessons from her. She said I had a good voice for blues... unfortunately I cannot carry a tune to save my backside. Heh. It's bad... just, no. No one needs to be subjected to my attempts at singing. I'm not much for talking though, it's not a voice thing, more like a processing speed thing. Conversations seem to move so very fast to me.

My voice has never really bothered me, though I am aware that it is an unusual sounding voice. I suppose in that way, I kinda like it since it is not an everyday kind of thing. *shrugs*

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm

I have a "normal-sounding" male voice and it does not bother me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 5:06 pm

I sound like a smoker, even though I've never smoked. But it might be because my sinuses produce a lot of mucus that gets into my throat and lungs without me knowing, so that could be a factor.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 5:07 pm

I don't like how it sounds on answering machines or making a phone call

Aside from that I don't have a great reference for how I sound, but I am certain the phone distorts my voice making it much slower and a lower tone than it really is. Perhaps I should make a video of myself talking with the camera on my phone to see how I sound...perhaps a video wouldn't distort it as much.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 6:52 pm

I think my voice makes me sound much younger than I am, although I have been working to make it sound more normal.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 7:52 pm

at least two morons have had the nerve to tell me that i sound like a boy. that was before i took testosterone to transition from female to male.

no, i hate the sound of my voice. it does not sound manly or normal enough.

voice sounds monotonous

the other thing is that sometimes i have a hard time talking loud enough. :roll:

too lazy, tired or weak to talk loud enough. and i feel like nothing i say, (think, feel, or do) affects anything in any functional method. nothing i say or do matters. sometimes it's just social talking.

and then idiots have the nerve to grunt "huh" "what" "eh" "ha?" and "hm" @ me. :skull:

that royally gets on my nerves

and right now i am 34 years old

and it makes me wonder

why i should even bother talking to someone

unless it's for some more or less practical reason

:evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :ninja:

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 1:19 am

I can't stand my own voice, but I hate my physical mannerisms more. No video, please!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 1:41 am

I've posted a recording a couple of times of me reading from a list of words. It sounded okay I guess. It's gotten deeper since then.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 2:36 am

Nope, do not like the sound of my own voice when i hear it being played back.. Almost sounds like another human being to what i audibly hear in my head when i talk.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 2:39 am

I always sound like I have a heavy cold.

KBXII
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2017, 4:27 am

Nope. Hate the sound of my own voice. Sounds way too monotone and loud. Reminded of just how much I dislike it every time there's a video of myself.

NAS
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Apr 2017, 4:36 am

Really hate the sound of my voice. It sounds nasal to me, cracks all the time/sometimes goes squeaky for no good reason, and my accent fluctuates between fairly strong for the area in which I live to just... weird. I can also be very loud and monotone. It sounds fake to me when I try to put emotion in my voice. However, I've been told that it doesn't sound fake to other people, just to me. Like I'm doing some terrible pantomime voice, I don't know.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 9:18 am

I have a lot of trouble with my voice and will soon have surgery to try and correct a sort of dysphonia.
My voice is very soft giving the impression of timidity which I dislike, because I can't physically raise it. It also cracks and breaks where it shouldn't, and has very little range. It also has an unclear "gravely" effect.
I hate speaking anyway but the bad quality of my voice makes me anxious about doing so. I never know how it's going to come our or have much control over it.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 9:29 am

Some days I get stuck in a deeper, more monotonous voice pattern. I can hear it happening but I can't do anything about it. Usually when I'm under stress.

I still like the sound of my voice, but it can be kind of unsettling.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Apr 2017, 9:42 am

Not really but then again I don't really know what I sound like, if I heard a recording of myself I might not recognize it.