College Scholarships for Students with AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

maddogtitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2004, 5:34 pm

I was just wondering if any of you know of any college scholarships for people with AS. I would greatly appreciate your help

Thank you,

maddogtitan.

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Central Florida; originally southeastern Massachusetts

21 Jul 2004, 6:24 pm

I obviously don't want to bash you or this subject, maddog. I wish you luck and hope you get some worthwhile responses, but I have my thoughts on this issue.....

I guess it's just me, but I find it interesting how "a lot" of individuals with Asperger's Syndrome are able and willing to go to a two or four year college.

I would love to be a meteorologist, but I haven't yet and won't ever be going. I've thought about taking online meteorology classes... but what good will that do if I am not going to go out into a public building to work?

I will be following this thread. Again, good luck.

Last edited by Tom_FL_MA on 05 Aug 2004, 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2004, 6:39 pm

Tom_FL_MA wrote:
I obviously don't want to bash you or this subject, maddog. I wish you luck and hope you get some worthwhile responses, but I have my thoughts on this issue.....

I guess it's just me, but I find it interesting how "a lot" of individuals with Asperger's Syndrome are able and willing to go to a two or four year college.

I would love to be a meteorologist, but I am not going to get my degree. I've thought about taking online meteorology classes... but what good will that do if I am not going to go out into a public building to work?

I will be following this thread. Again, good luck.

I beg to differ. (I am not willing to go to college. I want to get school over with ASAP.)

NanoTy
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2004, 6:58 pm

The Autism Society of America gives one $1000 scholarship a year to a person with autism. I know of no scholarships that are specifically for someone with AS, and I do not plan on pursuing this one. So where do you go to college? I am excited that I will be starting at Georgia Tech in the fall, although I am a little uneasy about it at the same time. Fortunately, Tech offers an effective program for freshman that includes tutoring, upperclassmen mentors, living in a dorm wiht entirely other freshman, and study skills classes.

maddogtitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2004, 8:17 pm

NanoTy wrote:
The Autism Society of America gives one $1000 scholarship a year to a person with autism. I know of no scholarships that are specifically for someone with AS, and I do not plan on pursuing this one. So where do you go to college? I am excited that I will be starting at Georgia Tech in the fall, although I am a little uneasy about it at the same time. Fortunately, Tech offers an effective program for freshman that includes tutoring, upperclassmen mentors, living in a dorm wiht entirely other freshman, and study skills classes.

My mom thinks it best that I try and find some scholarships to help me through. This is my second year going into college. I'm attending University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh. And my major is Special Education right now.

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2004, 8:10 am

:)

Dizzy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2004, 8:24 pm

Sorry, I had not seen this post. I just posted basically the same question in the main part of the board. I too am interested in finding out some grants that are being give out.

shellfd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2004, 7:26 am

temple Grandin gives out scholarships, you can go to her web site. Also, It think that you should do a google search- I think that maybe PaTTan has some- I know that they do if you plan to work in special education or with autistic children (they are not only geared to people on the spectrum)
their web site: www.pattan.k12.pa.us
also try
aboard- not sure of the web site
unlocking autism

hope this helps.
Michele

oh, not that I am a fan but try Clay Aiken- he started a foundation to benefit people/ kids with developmental disabilities;
here is his foundation:
http://www.thebubelaikenfoundation.org/home.htm