Page 4 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 9:35 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
On wrong planet

Sorry Trump too late to build a wall :D

I'm a green alien of the Sweet Pea variety. :ninja: (Hippea)

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Jul 2017, 2:05 am

^^^I would love such aliens as your kind! :D

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 8:53 pm

radio signals from a planet 11 million years away from earth could be from extraterrestrials
http://www.news.com.au/technology/scien ... fe63304fad

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 9:00 pm

if so there is a good chance that such a civilization is but an echo from the 11 million year-ago past. I suspect that really advanced [k-scale 2 or more] space-faring civilizations do not use radio signals, or don't use them the way we do.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 9:50 pm

auntblabby wrote:
if so there is a good chance that such a civilization is but an echo from the 11 million year-ago past. I suspect that really advanced [k-scale 2 or more] space-faring civilizations do not use radio signals, or don't use them the way we do.

Yes of course the time taken to reach us would mean the little green men would have been long gone...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 9:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Yes of course the time taken to reach us would mean the little green men would have been long gone...

so far I've found only one radio astronomer who does what mebbe they should have been doing from the start, and exploring the ultra-low frequency realm. because, if they are warping space, it stands to reason that their radio communications also have been warped [highly compressed in space/time] along with the rest of the space between them and wherever they came from/are going to.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 10:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

so far I've found only one radio astronomer who does what mebbe they should have been doing from the start, and exploring the ultra-low frequency realm. because, if they are warping space, it stands to reason that their radio communications also have been warped [highly compressed in space/time] along with the rest of the space between them and wherever they came from/are going to.

Why hasn't SETI done this?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 10:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Why hasn't SETI done this?

beats the dickens outta me. I think they are hidebound.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 10:25 pm

Guess it keeps Seth Shostak in a job

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 10:28 pm

I guess it is hard to make somebody not believe in what keeps him employed. somebody else said it better but I can't remember who.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 6:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
radio signals from a planet 11 million years away from earth could be from extraterrestrials

Umm.....no.

The star in question is not "11 million light years away".

Its 11 light years away.

Just eleven (no zeroes after the eleven).

So...

You get one dope slap for reading it wrong.

And you get a second dope slap for not realizing that you read it wrong: there are certain reasons that "eleven million" should have seemed incorrect.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The average distance between stars in the galaxy is about six light years. So "eleven light years away" is basically only "two doors down the hallway" in the galactic apartment. Close. Close like the article implies.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 8:59 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The average distance between stars in the galaxy is about six light years. So "eleven light years away" is basically only "two doors down the hallway" in the galactic apartment. Close. Close like the article implies.

relatively close, but for this primitive k-level-0 civilization we have, it might as well be in another dimension. until we can learn how to warp space, it will remain out of reach. chances are, our radio signals can't even reach that far out, at least in any feasibly intact and readable form, in terms of overcoming interstellar noise and/or the possible EM noise that other civilizations put out.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 10:23 am

That's true.

We have been sending out radio signals since circa 1920, and sending out TV signals since circa 1945.

So our TV signals have gone out 72 average star distances. And radio out to almost a 100 average star distances.

But since its in every direction that means that our earliest TV shows have reached 7000 star systems. And our earliest radio broadcasts have reached over 20 thousand star systems.

But a recent study show that radio and TV waves get out of sync and loose all organization at around two light years out. So even if there were beings with radio receivers on a planet around the nearest star (Alpha Centauri) only 4.3 light years away all that they would pick up would be static. They would know that our planet had a civilization that was using radio, but they wouldn't be able to consume our programming, nor make any sense, nor get a specific information out of it.

As I understand it creatures with radio telescopes would have no trouble detecting our broadcasts within the distance that they have traveled. They just wouldn't be able to decipher the broadcasts.

The good news is that those little green people 70 plus light years away who are only just now getting Milton Berle's Westinghouse Hour are just getting static. So we have no need to be embarrassed as a species by our earliest TV shows.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 7:39 pm

I wonder if there are any civilizations that have sufficiently powerful broadcasts so that techy beings on planets further than 2 light years out can receive them and decode them?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 8:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Umm.....no.

The star in question is not "11 million light years away".

Its 11 light years away.

Just eleven (no zeroes after the eleven).

So...

You get one dope slap for reading it wrong.

And you get a second dope slap for not realizing that you read it wrong: there are certain reasons that "eleven million" should have seemed incorrect.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ahhh I'm glad you shed some "light" on my mistake :wink:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 8:06 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The good news is that those little green people 70 plus light years away who are only just now getting Milton Berle's Westinghouse Hour are just getting static. So we have no need to be embarrassed as a species by our earliest TV shows.

Just wait till they get hold of Voyager