Is the AQ test a diagnostic? I scored 29,twice.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tom1992
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2017, 8:14 pm

If the AQ test result falls outside of the ASD score,does that invalidate an official diagnosis?

Edit: 41 on the Cambridge behaviour scale (31 15 minutes ago)

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2017, 8:43 pm

No, no online test invalidates official diagnosis which makes it incredibly frustrating to get diagnosed especially when you doubt yourself/ doctors doubt you.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 9:11 pm

Since you are still hanging around here with a 29, don't you think you have maybe found your tribe?

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2017, 1:11 am

No, it's just one of the screening tools used by clinicians.

Tom1992

14 Apr 2017, 2:50 am

Dear_one wrote:
Since you are still hanging around here with a 29, don't you think you have maybe found your tribe?

I'm inclined to think I haven't. As I say,I only went in to the psychiatrist for a mental health assessment,and the doctor told me I have traits of autistic spectrum. He advised me to get it checked out. I have my appointment on the 24th of this month.

A 29 is outside the range,though?

My empathy is fine (perhaps too much)
I recognise social cues (a lot)

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2017, 2:55 am

Tom1992 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I'm inclined to think I haven't. As I say,I only went in to the psychiatrist for a mental health assessment,and the doctor told me I have traits of autistic spectrum. He advised me to get it checked out. I have my appointment on the 24th of this month.

Not by much. I scored higher when a doctor used it vs when I used it myself. I'd recommend you go to your appointment and let them decide rather than rule it out yourself.

Tom1992

14 Apr 2017, 3:02 am

iliketrees wrote:
Tom1992 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Not by much. I scored higher when a doctor used it vs when I used it myself. I'd recommend you go to your appointment and let them decide rather than rule it out yourself.

What about the fact that I can recognise social cues,etc?

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2017, 3:18 am

Tom1992 wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Tom1992 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

What about the fact that I can recognise social cues,etc?

No idea, I'm not a doctor. It's possible to meet the criteria without having every single symptom.

Tom1992

14 Apr 2017, 3:25 am

I can't wait until this is over.

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2017, 5:04 am

In the original research testing the AQ, 80% of adults with a diagnosis scored 32 or above compared to 2% of controls.

A further paper proposed that when used as a clinical screening tool, AS could effectively be ruled out when a person scored less than 26.

Going by the above findings it's perfectly possible for you to be on the spectrum. Good luck in your appointment.

Tom1992

14 Apr 2017, 5:22 am

NikNak wrote:
In the original research testing the AQ, 80% of adults with a diagnosis scored 32 or above compared to 2% of controls.

A further paper proposed that when used as a clinical screening tool, AS could effectively be ruled out when a person scored less than 26.

Going by the above findings it's perfectly possible for you to be on the spectrum. Good luck in your appointment.

I took the test again - received a 25.
I took it again literally just now - received a 30

Would a 25 rule me out even though it's just below the mark?

Tom1992

14 Apr 2017, 5:34 am

I took it again. Received a 33. Half an hour ago,I received a 25.

I'm really confused here.

I really want to be invited to social gatherings,but I just suck at being normal. I really want to do these things,but I can't. I am more comfortable by myself.

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2017, 5:36 am

Now you are sounding like an aspie! lol

Tom1992

14 Apr 2017, 5:57 am

I'm a people person deep down. I really wanna be normal and go out. But at same time,people bore me. And I just don't feel relaxed in social situations. So yes,I *would* prefer to be at a party than a library.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2017, 5:58 am

Hello again Tom,
In answer to the question, the AQ set of questions is not a diagnostic in itself.

It is a screening tool, answering those sets of questions honestly helps pick out traits which may be consistent with being on the Autism spectrum.

It is not an exam with that set pass mark.

AS others have noted, in the various experiments used to validate the AQ test, 80% of people known to be on the spectrum who answered that set of questions were scoring 32 or above. when those questions are answered by people definitely not on the spectrum, the average score is around 15.

So, 29 would be coming into that band on the borderline of whether the person is on the spectrum or not.

It gives information which assists the person making the diagnosis. remember that the diagnosis process is a range of assessments - the screening questionnaires such as the AQ, collecting accounts of your life from people who have known you over a long period, a number of diagnostic procedures involve setting some particular exercises and observing the way you might set about them. The would also involve some significant face to face interviews with you. They also look at things in the background. How well one succeeds or otherwise at finding work, keeping work, making friendships, making closer relationships, how much success or otherwise one has in keeping such relationships, whether one has difficulties or blind spots in other areas such as executive functioning.

For example, the questionnaires might pick up many traits (say a score of 38), but the person may, at the point of assessment, have worked out some successful compensations, or in the area of passionate (fixated ?) interests, they may have a passionate interest which has gained them knowledge which is valuable in certain fields of work, meaning they had been able to find and keep employment. On the more in depth interviews they may have scored a total of 15 out of 18 possible points on the instrument, and the threshold might be 10, indicating that their profile was autistic, in the part of the spectrum the particular process was designed to identify, but because there was no particular lifelong handicap such as a history of unemployment, destructive relationships, jobs gained but then lost, their assessor indicated that a full diagnosis would be unlikely.

On the other hand, the traits may be fewer or less obvious and a score around 32 or less be returned by the questionnaire, but those traits which are present may have made a person's blind spots regarding others or executive functioning sufficiently impaired that they had a history of unemployment, or being regularly dismissed, or put on performance monitoring, or disciplinarians, or a history of distressing break ups or divorces, basically stuff which causes hardships and griefs, and because of the severe impact such things have on one's life, they would be diagnosed.

It is the combination of both the traits and the traits causing hardships which is an important consideration in diagnosis, especially diagnosis as an adult.

Tom1992

14 Apr 2017, 7:58 am

rowan_nichol wrote:
Hello again Tom,
In answer to the question, the AQ set of questions is not a diagnostic in itself.

It is a screening tool, answering those sets of questions honestly helps pick out traits which may be consistent with being on the Autism spectrum.

It is not an exam with that set pass mark.

AS others have noted, in the various experiments used to validate the AQ test, 80% of people known to be on the spectrum who answered that set of questions were scoring 32 or above. when those questions are answered by people definitely not on the spectrum, the average score is around 15.

So, 29 would be coming into that band on the borderline of whether the person is on the spectrum or not.

It gives information which assists the person making the diagnosis. remember that the diagnosis process is a range of assessments - the screening questionnaires such as the AQ, collecting accounts of your life from people who have known you over a long period, a number of diagnostic procedures involve setting some particular exercises and observing the way you might set about them. The would also involve some significant face to face interviews with you. They also look at things in the background. How well one succeeds or otherwise at finding work, keeping work, making friendships, making closer relationships, how much success or otherwise one has in keeping such relationships, whether one has difficulties or blind spots in other areas such as executive functioning.

For example, the questionnaires might pick up many traits (say a score of 38), but the person may, at the point of assessment, have worked out some successful compensations, or in the area of passionate (fixated ?) interests, they may have a passionate interest which has gained them knowledge which is valuable in certain fields of work, meaning they had been able to find and keep employment. On the more in depth interviews they may have scored a total of 15 out of 18 possible points on the instrument, and the threshold might be 10, indicating that their profile was autistic, in the part of the spectrum the particular process was designed to identify, but because there was no particular lifelong handicap such as a history of unemployment, destructive relationships, jobs gained but then lost, their assessor indicated that a full diagnosis would be unlikely.

On the other hand, the traits may be fewer or less obvious and a score around 32 or less be returned by the questionnaire, but those traits which are present may have made a person's blind spots regarding others or executive functioning sufficiently impaired that they had a history of unemployment, or being regularly dismissed, or put on performance monitoring, or disciplinarians, or a history of distressing break ups or divorces, basically stuff which causes hardships and griefs, and because of the severe impact such things have on one's life, they would be diagnosed.

It is the combination of both the traits and the traits causing hardships which is an important consideration in diagnosis, especially diagnosis as an adult.

Thanks for the response. What about an AQ of 25?