Texas teacher bit 4-year-old boy with autism, police say

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 2:12 am

Dallas Morning News

Quote:
A West Texas elementary-school teacher has been arrested after police say she bit a 4-year-old boy with autism because he wasn't following instructions.

Kirsten Joelle Barnett, 25, of Abilene was charged with injury to a child, a third-degree felony. She faces a prison term of two to 10 years if convicted.
A teacher's aide at Locust Early Childhood Center told authorities on Feb. 1 that Barnett put the student in a "restraining hold" and then bit him near his ear, KTXS-TV reported.
The boy shouted "No!" and then started to rub his cheek, KTAB-TV/KRBC-TV reported.

The aide and another school employee later saw a "swollen bite mark" on the boy's cheek, police said

Good to know there are some education staff do the right thing.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 4:19 am

I thought this was going to be a teacher biting an autistic kid to teach him not to bite others. That would be bad enough. But that teacher sounds downright psychopathic. Private daycare preschool etc should be required to have nannycams that can be watched at any and all times by all the parents and law enforcement.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 4:33 am

Everyone knows that autistic kids taste better than NT kids.

So how can you blame her?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 8:30 am

Maybe that's why I always felt uncomfortable being near a bottle of ketchup.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2017, 4:59 pm

I notice that children and animals follow me around, while avoiding other people, and am questioning how this teacher did nothing creepy (I mean, something that would alert Forrest Gump or Karl Childers) whether during the job interview or up to this point in time.

I mean, does the flower in the vase die, when she walks by, or what?