Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 12:19 am

How can a person who can't easily relate to people manage lonliness?

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 2:42 pm

When I feel lonely I go for a walk downtown or other nearby places or go to a café, but only on times when they are not too crowded.
I don't talk to people and can't relate to them but I feel less lonely when there are people around and interesting places to explore.
WP makes me feel not lonely too.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 5:06 pm

Maybe there isn't anyone like you, but there could be a selection of people that you could relate to in part.

I don't know if being on the fringes of a group would make it better or worse, like with personal interest classes.

Where I live younger people can volunteer to teach older people how to use computers, maybe sharing your skills with an older age group or a younger age group in a structured way could lead you to find people who are more relatable.

I know that having a pet might not be your thing but ...Animals can be good companions, and many need a good home.

Also chatting with people here helped me to realise that there are people I can relate to, but there are big distances in between us.

All I can think of are ways to stave off the extremes of the lonely feelings.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 12:10 pm

This

Amity wrote:
I know that having a pet might not be your thing but ...Animals can be good companions, and many need a good home.

Also chatting with people here helped me to realise that there are people I can relate to, but there are big distances in between us.

and this
Marybird wrote:
When I feel lonely I go for a walk downtown or other nearby places or go to a café, but only on times when they are not too crowded.
I don't talk to people and can't relate to them but I feel less lonely when there are people around and interesting places to explore.

WP makes me feel not lonely too.

is how I manage loneliness and cope.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

Anon_92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2017, 12:20 pm

Cemeteries in the middle of the night... it's a win-win:

1- No one hangs out in cemeteries AND there's no law against it and
2- If you do see a ghost, you're a James Randi millionaire.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 4:10 pm

I try to flat-out ignore it. These days I'm still walking on eggshells around what might trigger a depressive-relapse and the feeling of loneliness is a big contributor. If I am dwelling on it, I busy myself until I'm too tired or too absorbed with other matters to notice it's still there, breathing down my neck. I try not to think long-term either, and only 'see' forwards a few days or months perhaps, rather than years, because long-term thinking when one's lonely leads towards internal, grandiose melodramas and suicidal thinking.