Page 5 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 1:02 pm

I also try to keep it as natural as possible. Good for you.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 1:08 pm

Didnt know that there was a kind of tomato native to the South Pacific islands.

The tomato was introduced to Europeans by the Cuna Indians of Panama shortly after 1500 AD. Its a New World thing that Europeans never had before, like chocolate, and corn, and tobacco. All of that tomato sauce they use in Italian cuisine is all post-Christopher Columbus because tomatoes certainly arent native to Italy.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 1:19 pm

In my reading, the pepino dulce is shown in pre-Columbian art, but not the tomato.

There was no chocolate candy, as we know it, and lots of Mexican food is really Spanish.

I am finding different examples of plants, which were not widely cultivated, until Europeans took an interest, or, the medicinal or religious use of a thing changed, generationally, because of verbal traditions.

The West has discovered things, without being handheld, by some native guide, but has also collapsed, many times.

All of the same acts of savagery can be committed by white people, some of which say that cannibalism is ok, during times of hardship, or on morally-relative grounds. Cannibalism has been ok, where there is no sumptuary law or dietary prohibition, against such.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 1:35 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
In my reading, the pepino dulce is shown in pre-Columbian art, but not the tomato.

There was no chocolate candy, as we know it, and lots of Mexican food is really Spanish.

I am finding different examples of plants, which were not widely cultivated, until Europeans took an interest, or, the medicinal or religious use of a thing changed, generationally, because of verbal traditions.

The West has discovered things, without being handheld, by some native guide, but has also collapsed, many times.

All of the same acts of savagery can be committed by white people, some of which say that cannibalism is ok, during times of hardship, or on morally-relative grounds. Cannibalism has been ok, where there is no sumptuary law or dietary prohibition, against such.

No idea what your point is.

Most folks cant imagine the Plains Indians (Dakota, Apache, Comanche, etc) with out horses, but they only had horses after they got them from Europeans sometime after 1500 AD. Likewise the Irish didnt have potatoes, and the Italians didnt have tomatoes, until after Columbus either ( Jews didnt have potato latkas since Old Testament times either). Both Old and New Worlds were transformed by the European discovery of America. Am not taking "sides" between the old and new worlds like you seem to be doing for some perverse reason.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 1:43 pm

People do take sides, but ownership of good things and bad is mainly honorary.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 2:55 pm

When it's cooked well with pesto and basil.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 4:54 pm

Misslizard wrote:
You can't serve "long pig" without the proper sauce to accompany it.
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/content/ ... tomato.htm

Truth be known, I only heard the term "long pig" a few years ago, while watching the Hannibal TV show.
My dad had also been an avid gardener; an interest I never picked up from him.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 10:28 pm

Have seen the term "long pig" in books that mention south sea island cannibals for years.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 10:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Have seen the term "long pig" in books that mention south sea island cannibals for years.

Those are seemingly books I've never read.