Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 10:58 pm

Does anybody here , NOW , follow comics books , the ones that are published now ?
I especially mean DC and Marvel superhero and comparable stuff , but I mean other stuff too , horror , crime , even " kid "-oriented/cartoon ones Now I am in the nursing place and unable to get any , before that I was so crippled , for one :(...

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 5:02 pm

I read Howard the Duck, and horror comics like Creepy, for the most part. I used to read Conan the Barbarian comics, though I fell too far behind reading the issues.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 12:59 am

...You mean the modern-day versions of those titles ?
When I had more money/better health a few years ago I'd get that Creepy regularly
I've not been too greatly impressed by what I read of the modern-day day Howard , + high price and being instantly reprinted as a book anyway

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 2:04 am

ASS-P wrote:
...You mean the modern-day versions of those titles ?
When I had more money/better health a few years ago I'd get that Creepy regularly
I've not been too greatly impressed by what I read of the modern-day day Howard , + high price and being instantly reprinted as a book anyway

Dark Horse had revived Creepy up until recently, as well as Eerie, though those seem to have become discontinued.
As much as I like Howard the Duck, I agree, he isn't what he had been years ago.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 2:26 am

i might buy one "fluide glacial" in one year, i 'd like to read more bd, european comics, but the hardcover french one are way too expensive, where have the secondhand stripshops gone? that's only in the big cities, if there's one left at all, that is! or only if it's some special interest

more pics, less bla

traven
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 3:24 am

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2017, 3:04 pm

I buy The Walking Dead and whatever project Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips are currently working on but nothing else. I stopped buying Marvel and DC stuff a while ago as I couldn't keep up with all the relaunches.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 2:24 pm

Yeah, I still read modern comics on a sporadic basis. The best and cheapest way I've found to get them is digital. via comixology and/or amazon (which owns comixology now). If you wait for sales, you can get books for $0.99/issue.

I'm reading the Walking Dead, various pulp revival titles such as The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Green Hornet, The Phantom, etc.

I also just picked up the current run of Steve Rogers: Captain America (but I haven't started reading). For DC I've been reading Batman:Rebirth (which is really good), and I have a backlog of current Green Arrow (what I've read has been good) and Action Comics (just okay).

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 5:10 pm

My opinion about the US comic books industry is that the superhero genre need, for a while, to die. It is almost only about the superhero genre, it need to stop to allow the industry to become more diverse and reach maturity. They should also stop with the crossovers, it's good business in the short term, but in the long term it's catastrophic as only hardcore fans can then follow thev stories. It would also allow minor companies that are not DC or Marvel to shine and a more balanced market.
Only looking at webcomics, manga and bande-dessinés, we see a much more balanced arrays of genres and diversity; of course we talking comics markets that weren't destroyed by that stupid "comic code".

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 9:51 pm

:arrow: b

Tollorin wrote:
My opinion about the US comic books industry is that the superhero genre need, for a while, to die. It is almost only about the superhero genre, it need to stop to allow the industry to become more diverse and reach maturity. They should also stop with the crossovers, it's good business in the short term, but in the long term it's catastrophic as only hardcore fans can then follow thev stories. It would also allow minor companies that are not DC or Marvel to shine and a more balanced market.
Only looking at webcomics, manga and bande-dessinés, we see a much more balanced arrays of genres and diversity; of course we talking comics markets that weren't destroyed by that stupid "comic code".

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 9:56 pm

...It seems a reply I posted got lost :( .

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 12:12 am

.Action but not Superman ? Those two titles are often pretty close to each other if not literally crossing over .
All the current stuff you reference is Comixology ? What form does a Comixology version of a this-month comic take A PDF of all 32 interior pages and the four cover pages How about reprints ?

GoonSquad"]Yeah, I still read modern comics on a sporadic basis. The best and cheapest way I've found to get them is digital. via comixology and/or amazon (which owns comixology now). If you wait for sales, you can get books for $0.99/issue.

I'm reading the Walking Dead, various pulp revival titles such as The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Green Hornet, The Phantom, etc.

I also just picked up the current run of Steve Rogers: Captain America (but I haven't started reading). For DC I've been reading Batman:Rebirth (which is really good), and I have a backlog of current Green Arrow (what I've read has been good) and Action Comics (just okay).[/quote]

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 10:38 am

ASS-P wrote:
Action but not Superman ? Those two titles are often pretty close to each other if not literally crossing over .

Yeah, I'm not a huge Superman fan. They really messed up Supes when they did the New 52 reboot back in 2011. So, when they did their latest "soft reboot" DC Rebirth a few months ago they killed off the New 52 Superman and introduced another version of the character from an alternate reality that's much closer to old-school Superman.

I mostly started reading Action Comics out of curiosity to see how they handled introducing the new version of Superman.

The way DC has been doing related titles like Action Comics/Superman and Batman/Detective Comics/Batman & Robin etc. is that they are loosely related but each book has its own story line so you don't have to read all the books to follow a specific story.

Superman mostly has been dealing with Superman and his son with Lois Lane who is about 10 and just starting to manifest powers. I wasn't interested in that story, so I'm not reading it.

In the Batman titles Batman deals mostly with solo Batman stories, Detective Comics deals with Batman and Batwoman training a new set of heroes, and Batman and Robin deals with the title characters. I'm only reading Batman and its been really good since the reboot.

They are just starting to explain the whole Rebirth Reboot thing right now with a Batman/Flash crossover. I'm not up to date on that story, but I know it involves Flashpoint (a really good pre New 52 Flash crossover story) and Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen screwing with reality. I hope it turns out to be good. So far, Rebirth has mainly just undone the changes made during the New 52 (restored the older version of the characters) and I think it will also bring Watchmen characters into the main DC universe.

Quote:
All the current stuff you reference is Comixology ?

Yeah, pretty much everything that gets published these days can be found on comixology. A lot of indy publishers even do digital only comics for comixology, and DC and Marvel do a lot of 'digital first' comics that only get printed months later.
Quote:
What form does a Comixology version of a this-month comic take A PDF of all 32 interior pages and the four cover pages How about reprints ?

It is not a pdf. The comics can only be read using a web browser on the comixology website if you are using a PC, or on the comixology app if you are using an android tablet or ipad. But otherwise yes, you get all the covers and every full page. Plus, you can zoom in/out and most comics have a 'guided view' where the app will go from panel to panel in full screen.

Reprints for most titles go back decades. When I was stuck in the hospital for months a couple of years ago, I bought Geoff Johns entire run on Green Lantern for 99cents/comic.

Comixology also has a bunch of free comics on their website so you can see if you like the format.

https://www.comixology.com/free-comics

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 10:37 pm

...Thank you !
Okay , so - especially with the semi-monthliness - is generally keeping A/S and X/B on separate tracks ?

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2017, 1:06 pm

Tollorin wrote:

You're right and it's one of the major reasons why the manga industry is worth a billion dollars more more than the entire western comic book and graphic novel industry. There is so much diversity in manga if you have the superhero itch you can read series like One Punch Man, My Hero Academia, Zetman, Tiger & Bunny, and Sailor Moon. Another thing about manga is that super powers are not limited to just the superhero genre like 99% of Western comics are, so we can supernatural characters and things often out of the superhero genre which allows for more diverse stories.

Another thing about manga is that stories or characters are never or rarely forced into the same universe like characters would be in DC or Marvel comics. Which means they can have their universe be unique as they want and create their own rules/system without worrying if it will interfere or make things confusing if another series is in the same universe. For example a series like Attack On Titan could never work if it was forced to share the same universe as say Dragon Ball.

Manga series are usually one time things you don't see multiple different writers at the same time writing their own story on the series often. Once a series is finished, its finished, it doesn't get rebooted a billion times thus wiping away progress the characters went through and risking someone writing the characters/story poorly thus ruining the image of the series. Since there isn't so many reboots it is easy for newcomers to get interested while most people would get turned away by a Marvel or DC comic because they wouldn't know which comic to start with on a character/group they like.

DC and Marvel need to die down a little, so other comic book companies can get the spotlight, hardly do you ever see a comic book get a movie or show that isn't DC or Marvel. Some of the smaller comic book companies go under due to unable to being able to compete with the larger ones and they end up selling their characters that end up being under utilized by DC and Marvel like Static Shock and WildCats.

Western comics need to spice it up with their settings, NYC, some other major city, or fictional metropolis is getting incredibly stale. At most we get is some outer space/alternate dimension/urban dystopian setting which don't really diversify much either. In manga we can easily find many different settings.

For example in the setting of One Piece which is currently the most popular manga of all time their geography is not shaped like our world at all, nearly every country is an island and a huge chunk of land acts as a border/gate for the whole planet, islands can look very different from one another especially since due to having 5 moons the weather can be extremely different on each island, people travel by boat, people can obtain powers from eating magical fruits and anyone can become superhuman if they get a devil fruit or train hard enough, there are multiple different races, hybrids, and unique creatures, some advanced and unique technology and the entire world's government is unified. More things just keep getting revealed as the story goes on.

Attack On Titan is a somewhat dystopian apocalyptic steampunk medevial european (possibly German) setting with humanity hiding behind a walled city against giant human-like creatures that want to devour them just because, with a main character gaining the power of the giants and more about their city and titans being learned.

Fullmetal Alchemist takes place in an alternate Earth during a time period considered WW2 for us where alchemy is responsible for innovations instead of technology so they may not be advance in some areas like lack of planes but much more advanced and powerful in other ways like people being able to have agumented limbs and alchemy turning a single man into a weapon of mass destruction. Main characters reside in Amestria which is their world's equivalent of WW2 Germany. It explores themes of religion, bringing people back from the dead, Nazi like behavior and etc.

Just a few examples of very popular mangas having diverse settings.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 9:58 am

I mostly just read web comics now-a-days. I don't live near a comic book shop, and I don't order a daily paper.