Confederate monuments are coming down.

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 2:17 pm

http://circa.com/circa-now/happening/liberty-place-confederate-monuments-torn-down-in-new-orleans

This is wonderful news!

The Confederates were stupid redneck losers. The neo-Confederates are a bunch of racist crybabies.

"WE CAN'T ENSLAVE BLACK PEOPLE ANYMORE! BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!"

Cry me a river. Lincoln won. Intelligence won. Decency won. Deal with it.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 4:23 pm

Reason enough to drink a toast to the forces of enlightenment, tonight! :D
What was especially egregious about the New Orleans monument was, it was commemorating racist Confederate veterans who had tried to seize the city government by force of arms, and killing several brave men defending said municipal government, before getting sent to Hell, themselves.

Ignotum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2017, 5:01 pm

Good. I live in the rural south where confederate flags are everywhere and it is seen as a mark of pride, but I see it otherwise. Progressiveness, as I'm sure you could imagine, is pretty vacant around here. It is good however that they took this step on the way to mending their racist past.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 12:42 am

Well this is progress.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 1:40 am

A few statues in New Orleans don't amount to much...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 3:05 am

Raptor wrote:

I'm sure the local AAs appreciate not having to look at slave owners

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 9:16 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
http://circa.com/circa-now/happening/liberty-place-confederate-monuments-torn-down-in-new-orleans

This is wonderful news!

The Confederates were stupid redneck losers. The neo-Confederates are a bunch of racist crybabies.

If you look at the real reasons for the Civil War, you will find that slavery was only an ancillary issue. FWIW, Maryland and Delware were both Union states that carried on with slavery up until the Emancipation Proclaimation.

One of the major reasons for the Civil War was the fact that the Union states were industrialising, and many of the southern states wanted to do the same but were prohibited by the Union because the Union wanted to Southern states to remain agricultural. --This would have only reinforced slavery had the Union remained intact, while the Industrialisation of Southern states would have required that Slavery be either abolished, or greatly curtailed to produce skilled labor.

Then again the Industrialised North life wasn't much better due to the fact that you hd the Industrial 'Robber Barons' who would build themselves great mansions, while all the workers lived in towns the company built, paying exhorbitant rent, and paying exhorbitant prices for goods at stores that were also owned by the company that they worked for, making the workers there slaves by proxy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 11:21 am

Raptor wrote:

Then why are so many so upset about taking them down, and making bomb threats about it?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 11:44 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Then why are so many so upset about taking them down, and making bomb threats about it?

Because bomb threats are just plain fun, that's why.
You flush them out of the building with a bomb threat then shoot them with the machinegun.
:P

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 3:14 pm

Fogman wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

This is wonderful news!

If you look at the real reasons for the Civil War, you will find that slavery was only an ancillary issue. FWIW, Maryland and Delware were both Union states that carried on with slavery up until the Emancipation Proclaimation.

One of the major reasons for the Civil War was the fact that the Union states were industrialising, and many of the southern states wanted to do the same but were prohibited by the Union because the Union wanted to Southern states to remain agricultural. --This would have only reinforced slavery had the Union remained intact, while the Industrialisation of Southern states would have required that Slavery be either abolished, or greatly curtailed to produce skilled labor.

Then again the Industrialised North life wasn't much better due to the fact that you hd the Industrial 'Robber Barons' who would build themselves great mansions, while all the workers lived in towns the company built, paying exhorbitant rent, and paying exhorbitant prices for goods at stores that were also owned by the company that they worked for, making the workers there slaves by proxy.

Why beat up on the north, while giving the south a pass? The south, including those border states that remained in the union, were the ones who had clung with a death grip to the moral obscenity of slavery, whereas the northern states had rid themselves of slavery already.
And sure, life as a worker in the north was no picnic, but at least they could quit their jobs to look elsewhere for work. Plus, slaves couldn't do what free workers could - organize to demand better wages and safety measures.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 7:55 pm

Raptor wrote:

Yeah, but unfortunately, it isn't only happening there----it's happening in Baltimore (and other cities), as well, and it makes me so angry I could spit nails; cuz, AFAIC, those statues / monuments are covered by the First Amendment. IMO, as long as people are allowed to have any kind of "______ Lives Matter" signs / marches, and so-forth, then anyone who wants to, should be able to have a confederate flag in the rear window of their truck, for instance, and confederate memorials should be allowed, as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the OP: Why is it "wonderful news"----why does what the U.S. does / doesn't do, have anything to do with you, a Canadian? "Wonderful news", to a Canadian, should be when racism (against aboriginals) is eradicated in their OWN country, before they start dictating to other people / countries----you know, "glass houses" and all that stuff.

The idiocy of people, like in the article, never ceases to amaze me (especially the mayor)----when are people going to learn that banning something only makes some people fight more / harder, for it to remain?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 7:55 pm

Fogman wrote:
One of the major reasons for the Civil War was the fact that the Union states were industrialising, and many of the southern states wanted to do the same but were prohibited by the Union because the Union wanted to Southern states to remain agricultural. --This would have only reinforced slavery had the Union remained intact, while the Industrialisation of Southern states would have required that Slavery be either abolished, or greatly curtailed to produce skilled labor

Certainly was a trigger but not for the reasons you gave. The economy in the south was largely reliant on agriculture which was predominantly reliant on share cropping and plantations mostly exploiting slave labor. They feared that if slavery was outlawed then their power would be compromised an their political autonomy would be threatened by the fast industrialisation taking place in the northern states.

The moral compass in the south was hardly anything that could be justified purely on the actions of the north. The south simply rode on the backs of innocent African American slaves using them as chattel and getting fat of the profits while the slaves were tortured. White southerners who nostalgically wish for a return to this "antebellum" era by flying confederate flags or sticking statues of slave owners are really no different to people who wish the Nazis would return

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 9:06 am

I think stuff like this just perpetuates racism.

It seems like those who shout the loudest about it and grandstand like this, are the ones who keep it most alive.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 11:57 am

^^ EXACTLY----I TOTALLY agree!!

Like I was saying, before, you tell someone they can't have / do / say something, etc., and that'll be the EXACT thing they'll wanna have / do / say.

Tell a "______ Lives Matter" person that they can't protest, and see what happens. They'll scream bloody blue murder----as they SHOULD, IMO, cuz it's covered by the First Amendment----but, if someone wants to display / keep ANYTHING confederate, THEN what..... That's NOT okay----the double standard is SICKENING----gimme a friggin' break, already!!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 12:12 pm

EzraS wrote:
I think stuff like this just perpetuates racism.

It seems like those who shout the loudest about it and grandstand like this, are the ones who keep it most alive.

Indeed. Didn't Hitler, Stalin and Mao have massive "cultural" revolutions, too? How did that turn out? Those who are cheering this should remain vigilant. After all, their own sacred cows might get gored, too, given enough time and boredom among the res novae ad nauseum crowd.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 1:49 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Fogman wrote:
One of the major reasons for the Civil War was the fact that the Union states were industrialising, and many of the southern states wanted to do the same but were prohibited by the Union because the Union wanted to Southern states to remain agricultural. --This would have only reinforced slavery had the Union remained intact, while the Industrialisation of Southern states would have required that Slavery be either abolished, or greatly curtailed to produce skilled labor

Certainly was a trigger but not for the reasons you gave. The economy in the south was largely reliant on agriculture which was predominantly reliant on share cropping and plantations mostly exploiting slave labor. They feared that if slavery was outlawed then their power would be compromised an their political autonomy would be threatened by the fast industrialisation taking place in the northern states.

The moral compass in the south was hardly anything that could be justified purely on the actions of the north. The south simply rode on the backs of innocent African American slaves using them as chattel and getting fat of the profits while the slaves were tortured. White southerners who nostalgically wish for a return to this "antebellum" era by flying confederate flags or sticking statues of slave owners are really no different to people who wish the Nazis would return

It all depends on what part of the south you were from. Sure the Low Country and the river deltas and such had the big plantations and the mansions, slaves and such, but the further inland you went, that topography changed from people who were perpetuating European Feudalism, to people who left Europe, because fuedalism landed on them.

The further inland you went into the south the less you saw of the antebellum plantation aristocracy, and the more you saw subsistance 'dirt farmers' and others who, if they were particularly well off, may have had a slave or two, but for the most part didn't particularly care for being told that they had to stay the way that they were. If you went into appalcia, you encountered people who didn't have slaves, and for the most part didn't care what the rich planters of the low country thought. --The south was hardly the monolithic place that you imply that it was.

As far as the Confederate stickers, flags and the like, I generally agree with you in the fact that what all of that stuff implies now is a reprehensible thing due to what has transpired after the Civil war, but at the same time, you should be free to have them, fly them, and stick them to whatever you want to, should you feel compelled to do so. -- I'd much rather have those people advertising themselves for what they are out in the open, rather than find out that I am inadvertantly giving my cash and support to those who support such things because they are no longer free to advertise themselves.