What are topics I can bring up in conversation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 6:18 pm

I have very modest conversational skills. Sometimes my brain's slow processing gets in the way of creating a smooth conversation, it gets hard to process topics to talk about. I guess it's a good idea to research on new topics daily to keep ahead.

Like:

Me: "Hey (name), what's up?"

Partner: "Not much, what about you?"

Me: "Not much. What do you think of (topic)?"

or "Did you hear (topic)?"

(partner makes comment or asks a different question)

I'm not very good with it in practice. Is this something that just gets better the more I expose myself to making conversations? I think from now on, I will spend 10 minutes daily reading a blog or article on certain specific topics I know my friends/acquaintances are into. I think it's a good plan.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 7:16 pm

Conversation-starters and being able to continue conversations are like exercising a muscle for those on the Spectrum. Yes, you can get better with actual practice, but you must keep using it in order for the skill not to get rusty (this is true with any kind of language-skill actually). Here are a few common questions in many conversations...

Hi, what is your name ?
Are you here for (insert reason why you are where-ever you are), too ?
Do you come here often ?
Are you from around here ?
Are you working or going to school right now ?
What kind of work do you do ?
Do you like your job ?
Any career-plans for the future ?
What kinds of subjects are you studying ?
Do you like studying it ?
What would you rather be learning ?
What brings you here today ?
Got any brothers and sisters ?
Do you or they have or like pets ?
Did you hear about (whatever information may be circulating around in the public that's on your mind) lately ?
Do you know a lot of people (around here) ?

...just to name a handful few. Just note that if you've asked somebody a whole dozen questions, and they do not ask you back any of the same questions, then they're probably just not interested in talking to anybody. You can tell them that you don't mean to bother them at that point since it seems like they might be busy, then just give them your business-card as an invitation to let them have an opportunity to contact you in the future if they'd ever like to hang out with you as friends, letting them know that you're trying to practice talking to new people, that it was nice meeting with them, and that you'll be on your way trying to practice starting conversations with strangers in hopes of being able to over-come your habit of being an introvert. See you around or bye for now !

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2017, 8:56 am

What is the motive, why do you want to start a conversation?

PhoenixRain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2017, 2:11 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
I have very modest conversational skills. Sometimes my brain's slow processing gets in the way of creating a smooth conversation, it gets hard to process topics to talk about. I guess it's a good idea to research on new topics daily to keep ahead.

Like:

Me: "Hey (name), what's up?"

Partner: "Not much, what about you?"

Me: "Not much. What do you think of (topic)?"

or "Did you hear (topic)?"

(partner makes comment or asks a different question)

I'm not very good with it in practice. Is this something that just gets better the more I expose myself to making conversations? I think from now on, I will spend 10 minutes daily reading a blog or article on certain specific topics I know my friends/acquaintances are into. I think it's a good plan.

I have this same problem... if some friends are conversing about something, I usually end up just listening because I can't seem to interject my ideas into the conversation in proper timing. And when I do, I get talked over so I just keep quiet. And then other times, I can't seem to process the conversation fast enough to respond in a timely manner. Conversation is hard :(

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Desmilliondetoiles
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2017, 11:42 am

I have this issue of talking as if I'm continuing conversation. Some people find it endearing, some people find it annoying becasue there's no context. I would say try bringing up something that recently happened in the news (not political but something like a break-through in technology or medicine) or even try to talk them into talking about themselves like the lovely purple list suggests. It's easier to be a listener than a speaker. When you speak, it's hard to not prattle on or give too curt of answers.