Page 8 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 2:30 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
Only Aspies really want to know the truth.

while that seems to be mostly true....it obviously isn't a whole truth. :P

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 2:59 am

skafather84 wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:
Only Aspies really want to know the truth.

while that seems to be mostly true....it obviously isn't a whole truth. :P

Could be right, but often the truth for them equals: The truth that equals their material gain, equals what is needed to save the piace, or the truth that keeps the devil from the door.

Once in the office I said that "Jewish people are collactively more smarter then the rest of us" and my superviser said where did I get that information from. She is the sweetest and most nobal person you could meet. However it was not the truth that she wanted to hear partly because it is not that politically correct.

kt-64
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 6:28 am

Maybe people are religious because their intestinal tracks flipped the opposite way?

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2015, 8:02 pm

Because the world could not have just come from nothing... even the Big Bang theory does not have all the answers.... the law of conservation of mass states that mass cannot be created or destroyed, and the law of conservation of energy states that energy can not be created or destroyed..... so are you saying the singularity before the big bang just came out of nothing? furthermore, people desire meaning to life's answers, and a sense of what is moral and what isn't... also, people are terrified of death, and want to know that they will live on.... NDEs and the law of conservation of energy also prove that there is an afterlife.... therefore, God IS scientific

SippingSpiderVenom
Raven
Raven

08 Nov 2015, 9:14 pm

I'm an agnostic Buddhist.

I paired conservation of mass and energy with reincarnation and stated "the experience remains to be seen".

About the same time I encountered transcendental meditation I also came across lucid dreaming, I think it's likely so many religious stories are simply day dreams or nightmares, or simply fantastical stories. There isn't much that can't be explained with lucid dreams.

I think if there is a god, it is more likely a super consciousness, as if to say the universe is sentient, rather than some human like psychic entity.

Mostly I don't think the grand scheme of things really matters. It's always the day to day that really messes things up or builds things up.

Yeah, the big bang theory doesn't solve everything, well a God pretty much solves everything, except everything that's been disproved.

I don't like being told that I have to believe in God or I will go to hell, nor do I appreciate being told I must be an atheist or I'm a moron. They are both just guesses to placate people that don't want to believe they don't "know".

"If I knew that it was fated for me to be sick, I would even wish for it; for the foot also, if it had intelligence, would volunteer to get muddy." - Chrysippus

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 5:54 pm

Why are atheists atheist?

Why yes, I am a conservative.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 6:39 pm

MidnightMoon wrote:
Why are atheists atheist?

Because I see no benefits to being religious.

GoSensGo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Dec 2017, 9:03 am

If you think people are less intelligent for being religious, you're the dope.

Religion goes past intelligence, logic and reason. In most cases it's ingrained in them young and it's something they feel. They have faith. There are a lot of brilliant and successful people who are religious. When I see smug atheists looking down on the religious like they're more enlightened because they don't believe in any god, I have to shake my head. It's embarrassing.

And I'm agnostic, I don't have a horse in the religion race.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2017, 2:52 am

Dopamine level.