Creating a new livejournal community. . Parents with AS.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Nellie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2007, 1:43 pm

I've decided to attempt to create a new community on live journal for parents with AS and other similar conditions. (Is "condition" the right word to use? I'm not sure how I should word it) I noticed there are plenty of groups out there for parents of autistic children but I wanted to do something different.
I'm creating the group now. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should call it and how I should word the introduction?
Let me know.

Any suggestions will help. (-:, thanks,

Ps: If I can't post a thread like this please let me know and I will delete it.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2007, 1:59 pm

Be sure to be incredibly explicit who you're for.

I have seen non-autistic parents call themselves "autistic parents," "parents with autism," "parents with AS", "AS parents", etc, when they're not. So be explicit that you don't mean that.

Nellie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2007, 2:05 pm

How should I title it? I started with "parents with as" but I don't like it because it looks more like "parents with ass." LOL That may attract the wrong crowd all together.

Nellie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2007, 2:17 pm

Here is my title; "The joys and trials of parents, who are, themselves, on the autistic spectrum."

what do you think?

And here is the user name for the group: aplaceforus

Beammeup
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2007, 5:20 pm

Nellie wrote:
How should I title it? I started with "parents with as" but I don't like it because it looks more like "parents with ass." LOL That may attract the wrong crowd all together.

Hah! Not the wrong crowd here, but you got my attention...

I'm new to web forums and such, and don't know what a community would be on "Live Journal".

As a male it seems that I spend more time talking with mom's regarding AS issues...

I'd enjoy and area where just parents are gathered, and would hope that it is "parsed" somehow to reflect our different needs... Mine is somewhat unique in that I had to single parent my daughters for a while, and I am still the primary parent. I am clearly ADD/AS, as my daughters are.

I've noticed throughout the forums here and on AFF that parent topics are vast. Parenting requirements seem to differ greatly depending on DX... Autistic vs. AS, ADD, ADHD, PDD etc. etc....

If parsed, create a “Dads” section. And separate subjects into categories, such as: “Parents with:” “Teen Issues” or “Tot Issues” “A School Matter” “Parents Sharing stories of their own youth”.... I’d sign-up to read and contribute if it became a forum like this or AFF...

Good luck!! !

Beammeup

Oh... and like this title better than the ASS one :)

Nellie wrote:
Here is my title; "The joys and trials of parents, who are, themselves, on the autistic spectrum."

what do you think?

Nellie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2007, 7:55 am

If anyone is interested in joining, here is the link: http://community.livejournal.com/momndadhaveas/profile