Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jake354
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Apr 2017, 10:12 pm

It is my dream to become a choral conductor and composer. It's not like a special interest, I have my fair share of those, this is more like a passion. I want to do it, but I know that conductors need an insane amount of social skills that I do not even remotely have. I honestly just want to become a conductor.

MoatsArt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2017, 4:51 am

Great aspiration! Are you posting this to share your passion or to ask advice as to how to achieve it?

jake354
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2017, 11:58 am

I just want advice.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2017, 4:37 pm

I've sung under a lot of conductors,, and they are all different. I assume you have experience as a choral singer to be so inspired. Watch and study the methods of a conductor who is really successful. I think you'll find he or she begins with high expectations of the singers and works hard in rehearsal to really put on the polish. He or she will encourage the singers to be just as attentive to each other as to him​ or herself. There is a certain charisma required, which means social awareness and self-expression, but don't give up on yourself. Keep watching those good conductors and learn from them. You can develop it in yourself. Being on the spectrum means these things are challenging, but it does NOT mean we are incapable of them.

magnum233
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2017, 2:56 pm

+1 great post and gl :)