Aspie student charged with planting bomb on London Tube

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 1:41 am

Student planted homemade bomb on London tube, court told

Quote:
A computing student with a keen interest in weapons planted a homemade bomb filled with ball-bearings on the London underground, causing a major security alert last October, a jury has heard.

The court heard that Damon Smith had an interest in Islam, guns and gambling, and collected pictures of extremists including the alleged mastermind of the 2015 Paris terror attacks.

After he was arrested, Smith, 20, who has Asperger’s syndrome, said the device was intended to work as a smoke bomb and had been left as a prank for “a bit of fun”. The prosecution said the device, which had partially detonated, had been designed to endanger lives.

Smith, who was 19 at the time of the incident, is on trial at the Old Bailey charged with possession of an explosive substance with intent, contrary to the Explosive Substances Act 1883. Smith, who wore a navy suit and tie in the dock, denies the charge but has admitted the lesser offence of perpetrating a bomb hoax.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Deathbox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Apr 2017, 1:51 am

Glad nobody got hurt. What an awful person.

The_Blode
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2017, 1:54 am

Deathbox wrote:
Glad nobody got hurt. What an awful person.

^ same. . .could have been so much worse. . .

And I hate that Aspergers Syndrome will be a factor to all this. . .

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 11:02 am

So was this a terrorist attack?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 1:31 am

League_Girl wrote:
So was this a terrorist attack?

It depends on his motivation.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 11:10 am

He just got a 15 year sentence.

The Daily Mail (Not the most even handed newspaper) has a report on it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4544560/Student-jailed-15-years-planting-bomb-tube.html.

I do not think that AS should or is a get out of Jail free card for people who want to play with bombs. I not not believe that it was a smoke bomb prank. From what I have read his design did not include a means for the "smoke" to leave the bomb and thus drift about.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.