Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 7:48 am

I'm working on a book, and the protagonist is an autistic woman who's snuck onto a spaceship by faking her medical records to hide her diagnostic history. To avoid suspicion, she's going to be trying to fake NT. (And probably trying harder than she needs to be, because she doesn't really know what quirks she can get away with.)

Having never seriously tried to fake NT for more than a couple minutes, I'd like to know what it's like. What do you have to think about when faking, and how hard is it?

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 8:46 am

The only thing that seems to matter in the main-stream/NT-world is outward-appearances; Especially when dealing with the pseudo-scientific versions of the medical-industry (anything government/corporate).

For a better idea of how the N-T world often is in comparison just go through all of Fnord's relevant postings; your character is essentially going to have to «lie through her teeth» in to avoid «triggering» the «system» (matrix).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2017, 2:23 am

It is something you are always thinking about often while simultaneously acting. You are constantly observing each NT you come in contact with because each of them is different. You need to find out there body language, hidden meanings and agendas for each NT you regulary interact with. You can not just observe, you have to regulary put on the act. This produces a lot of anxiety and exhaustion which makes it easier to make a mistake producing yet more mental stress meaning you have to try yet harder to keep up appearances.

People have done this for years and even decades and some aspects of it can get less diffucult as you get used to them. In the long run this can lead to burnout and many mental disorders. When that happens all efforts go for naught when the autistic traits can not be contained.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman