Once or twice, to see what it is like 43%  43%  [ 33 ]
I often go clubbing 17%  17%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 76

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 5:05 pm

JakeG wrote:
Over here, unless you are particularly attractive or are a woman, nobody tends to talk to you in a pub if you are sitting down at a table. Even if you are standing up at the bar, I have found that people only occaisionally talk to you and it is usually to say something like 'Did you see the match?' to which my response is invariably 'no, I didn't' which kills the conversation.

Being a woman who considers herself at least somewhat attractive ( my boyfriend thinks I'm cute, but his opinion is clouded by love, I think) I end up with strange guys trying to talk to me. Most of them only want to talk because they think they might get lucky. even if I tell them I'm taken they still keep trying. I don't like it at all.
Also, I've had times when people have tried the "have you seen the match/game" routine where I said "no". This doesn't work either because their next response is " OOOOhhh! You missed the best one of the season. You shoulda seen it when..." and they verbally describe the whole game piece by piece. Saying "no" doesn't seem to work here. Feigning an upset stomach and heading to the bathroom does.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

25 May 2007, 8:27 pm

Is a nightclub that place where people "dance" (read: show off their bodies, grope one another, and thrash about the room in a vaguely rhythmic fashion) and get drunk? I went to one, once. I found it revolting. Loud music, gross videos projected on the wall, every guy pushing drinks at you, everybody trying to "score" and nobody taking any interest in anything that wasn't shallow. I can't even begin to imagine what would be remotely fun about any aspect of that activity.

I'd rather meet nerdy boys at the library. :D

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

25 May 2007, 11:52 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
Is a nightclub that place where people "dance" (read: show off their bodies, grope one another, and thrash about the room in a vaguely rhythmic fashion) and get drunk? I went to one, once. I found it revolting. Loud music, gross videos projected on the wall, every guy pushing drinks at you, everybody trying to "score" and nobody taking any interest in anything that wasn't shallow. I can't even begin to imagine what would be remotely fun about any aspect of that activity.

A perfect description! I never got into it when I was at uni, whereas my friends would go 3/week.

I hated guys with breath reeking of alcohol trying to talk to me.

I married a nerd! I am a nerd myself.

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 11:59 pm

I have not a shred of desire to go to a night club.

Fosf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2007, 3:47 am

I've been there twice. The music wasn't good, but I somehow like strobe lights very much.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2007, 4:38 am

I've wanted to go to one, but now I just don't really care to anymore. Maybe 'cause I am getting to tab too old for that stuff. Nah! That's not the reason.

Besides no one really dances at a night club. just jumping, moving the body around and grinding, and lots of perspiration which itself probably gets the groove going for most of the patrons.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 6:12 am

gwenevyn wrote:

I hear that. I probably have more chance of meeting a like-minded girl at a comic convention than in a sweaty, smelly cattle market like a nightclub.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 9:36 am

gwenevyn wrote:

Note to self: Start frequenting local libraries again.... It wouldn't make sense for this to be unique to one individual...

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

26 May 2007, 12:06 pm

shadexiii wrote:
gwenevyn wrote:

Note to self: Start frequenting local libraries again.... It wouldn't make sense for this to be unique to one individual...

Spread the word! :wink:

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 12:30 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
Is a nightclub that place where people "dance" (read: show off their bodies, grope one another, and thrash about the room in a vaguely rhythmic fashion) and get drunk? I went to one, once. I found it revolting. Loud music, gross videos projected on the wall, every guy pushing drinks at you, everybody trying to "score" and nobody taking any interest in anything that wasn't shallow.

More or less how I imagine it would be like, which is why I've never gone to one.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 5:59 am

gwenevyn wrote:

There are different types of clubs that play different types of music and attract different types of people. The one I go to sometimes is more of a "gothic" club . People don't grope there and if you want to be left alone people will do as you wish. There are crazy people at any club or bar, but the crowd where I go is a rather mild bunch. People don't thrash around but they may wave their arms around as they dance. There are rarely fights, as well. The music is loud, but it is the type of music I like to dance to. I don't need to "score" either, since I am already taken and people there already know that. I usually keep to myself and dance. I don't drink anymore much, either, so that isn't an issue. There are a few people I say hi to and they say hi to me, but it's not the reason I go there. I just like to dance on the floor and let the music into me.
If I were at a different type of club I would probably not like it. I have been to other places that are awful, where people act like beasts. If that type of place were the only place I'd stay home.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 10:56 am

yes, it makes sense if you like dancing, even if you don't like getting drunk and so on.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

TRUE
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2007, 11:41 am

:?: Library :?:

Not supposed to chat in the library. Any conversation that is louder than a whisper can be heard by the entire room. So no conversation. It's the opposite of clubs with complete silence.

That leaves reading facial expressions and body language. Okay, that's out. Not only will I not be able to pick up those subtleties but most of the people will be reading or studying.

So, what? Pass notes?

Wear a shirt that says "Hi, my name is... and I'm single too"?

Hang out in the romance section and hope some guy that normally wouldn't be caught dead in that section happens to walk by and gets the hint?

Carry around a copy of "Lady Chatterly's Lover" and wink at all the fellas while pointing the book title? (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, point at book).

I've never read that book, actually. I don't know what's in it. I guess I'd better read it before winking and nudging, as it might not be what I think it is and I'd be in trouble then.

How long before any of the above gets me thrown out of library?

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

27 May 2007, 11:50 am

In all honesty, I've only ever been approached once by a guy at the library. And he waited until we were outdoors.

But I kind of think that the type of man I'd like to meet might be the kind who would enjoy frequenting that sort of place. I don't seriously expect to meet him there, though.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 1:42 am

You never know where you'll meet him. I met my boyfriend years before we became a couple. I met him locally near my home but it turned out he had gone to the same club I went to sometimes.
We were both in bad relationships at the time but we became friends. It was just by chance that we both became single at the same time. We saw each other in town and found this out, and so we began dating. I wish we could have become a couple sooner. He is wonderful and accepting, despite my quirks.
Finding good mates can be tough. Sometimes they find you. Other times you just stumble upon each other. Maybe he will show up at the library.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 10:47 am

I like to dance but I've never had any thoughts about drinking alcohol unless I'm going to a wedding and I have NO intentions of getting hammered either.
Now speaking of night clubs, do any kinds of violence (e.g. stabbings, rape, shootings, brawls) happen there?