Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 1:05 am

Speech and language deficits in children with autism may not cause tantrums - Penn State

Quote:
To investigate this correlation, the researchers studied the relationship between language and tantrum frequency in 240 children with autism between the ages of 15 and 71 months of age. The researchers, who published their results in a recent issue of the Journal of Development and Physical Disabilities, said that the children's IQ, their ability to understand language and their ability to use words and speak clearly, explained less than 3 percent of their tantrums.

"We had children in our sample with clear speech and enough intelligence to be able to communicate, and their tantrums were just as high in that group," said Cheryl D. Tierney, associate professor of pediatrics, College of Medicine, and section chief, behavior and developmental pediatrics, Penn State Children's Hospital.

The researchers also found that children who spoke at the level of a 2-year-old with normal development had more tantrums than children with lower speech skills.

The study doesn't answer the question of what causes tantrums in children with autism, but mood dysregulation and a low tolerance for frustration -- two common traits -- are likely factors that should be studied further, Tierney said.

Tierney suggests enough evidence has accumulated to shift the emphasis from improving speech to improving behavior.

help should come in the form of applied behavior analysis, and having a well-trained and certified behavior analyst on a child's treatment team is key to improved outcomes, Tierney added.

There is so much wrong here I do not even know where to begin. I feel like throwing one of those "tantrums" these researchers are studying. This is a prime example of why the phrase "nothing for us without us" was coined.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 6:28 pm

Well, I fail to see why this is a BAD thing. I mean, at least now they'll stop giving parents "false hope", that their kids will improve if they could talk.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 7:19 pm

It is a bad thing because it shows a lack of knowledge or willful ignorance of the autistic experience.

It shows a lack of knowledge of some key reasons why "tantrums" happen in autistic people namely sensory overload and nonverbal communication issues.

They call meltdowns tantrums which they are not. Tantrums are willful and designed to get parents to give kids throwing them what they want. Autistic meltdowns occur when the person is overwhelmed.

Thier recommendations reflect these basic misunderstandings. Instead of dealing with the conditions that are causing meltdowns via accommodations and teaching coping mechanisms to handle stressors they recommend emphasizing the behaviors of the manipulative fragile brats. I do not want to go too deeply the Applied Behavioral Analysis debate here, but Ivar Lovass the founder of ABA viewed Autistic meltdowns as willful defiance ie. tantrums. I am not saying these researchers favor shocking or slapping autistics like Lovass did but their view of autistics has similarities with his.

I can not say I am surprised by this, but it is still very disturbing to me that researchers at Penn State a prestigious university should view autistic behaviors this way.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2017, 8:22 pm

Are the researchers talking about tantrums or meltdowns? I've read the link and there's nothing there to make the distinction. Which supports the idea that these researchers are somewhat clueless.

As ASPartOfMe notes, tantrums and meltdowns are not the same thing. However, that doesn't mean that autistic kids can't throw a tantrum. I know as a kid, albeit older than the ones in this study, I threw a few tantrums. I also had meltdowns.

Most of my tantrums were when I was headed for a meltdown, partially because my self-control would get sloppy, but mainly because when I was heading into a meltdown, I would try to get out of the situation that was causing it. Simply saying I needed to leave or I was uncomfortable generally didn't help; people would just tell me things weren't that bad and all I needed to do was buck up and everything would be fine. So I'd end up throwing a tantrum because that would get me out of the situation. At the price of being treated as an immature and selfish brat, I would get a "time out" in someplace quiet where I could calm down and avoid the meltdown. The trade-off seemed worth it — especially since my father thought putting me in a room by myself for an extended period was some sort of punishment, though it never felt that way to me.

Now, I wasn't diagnosed until I was an adult, so neither I nor my parents had any idea of what was going on. All I knew was there were certain situations my parents and others could take in stride, but which would stress me out enormously. So I evolved a survival strategy that involved the odd tantrum. Obviously, as I grew older and could exercise more control over my movements and so could escape stressful situations more easily, I no longer needed tantrums, so they stopped. My tolerance for certain stressors also increased, which helped as well.

Perhaps some of the kids in this study may be following a similar strategy. If people ignore what you say and just keep telling you not to stress, then having language really isn't that useful.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 8:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
...it shows a lack of knowledge or willful ignorance of the autistic experience.

It shows a lack of knowledge of some key reasons why "tantrums" happen in autistic people namely sensory overload and nonverbal communication issues.

I definitely agree as to the idea of "shifting emphasis from improving speech to improving behavior" being disturbing, but does the study not show the matter of "nonverbal communication issues" is not the best direction for focus?

ASPartOfMe wrote:
They call meltdowns tantrums which they are not. Tantrums are willful and designed to get parents to give kids throwing them what they want. Autistic meltdowns occur when the person is overwhelmed.

I had what I call my first meltdown (as best I can recall) at about age 12, and it was definitely from being mentally overloaded and emotionally overwhelmed...and yet I consciously added a bit of "tantrum" when I noticed my mother had taken notice and was questioning her part in what had been going on. I call the event a meltdown because there was nothing I could have done to stop it, and yet, and as I have shared, I consciously added to it in order to use it to try to get something I wanted.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Instead of dealing with the conditions that are causing meltdowns via accommodations and teaching coping mechanisms to handle stressors, they recommend emphasizing the behaviors of the manipulative fragile brats.

I believe that statement mis-represents what has actually been said, but I do understand your issues with the report.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 2:28 pm

leejosepho wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
...it shows a lack of knowledge or willful ignorance of the autistic experience.

I definitely agree as to the idea of "shifting emphasis from improving speech to improving behavior" being disturbing, but does the study not show the matter of "nonverbal communication issues" is not the best direction for focus?

I see speech and language issues being addressed but not non verbal communication.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 2:57 pm

leejosepho wrote:

I see speech and language issues being addressed but not non verbal communication.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Instead of dealing with the conditions that are causing meltdowns via accommodations and teaching coping mechanisms to handle stressors, they recommend emphasizing the behaviors of the manipulative fragile brats.
leejosepho wrote:
I believe that statement mis-represents what has actually been said

They theorize “mood dysregulation and a low tolerance for frustration” causes the "tantrums." “low tolerance for frustrations” is another way of saying fragile. Tantrum equates to manipulative brat.

"Low tolerance for frustration" probably has some validity as a executive dysfunction issue, but it is a normal childhood trait. "Mood dysregulation" is disturbing because mood disorders have been one of the most common misdiagnoisis of autistic people.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 6:42 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

ASPartOfMe wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
I believe that statement mis-represents what has actually been said

They theorize “mood dysregulation and a low tolerance for frustration” causes the "tantrums." “low tolerance for frustrations” is another way of saying fragile. Tantrum equates to manipulative brat.

"Low tolerance for frustration" probably has some validity as a executive dysfunction issue, but it is a normal childhood trait. "Mood dysregulation" is disturbing because mood disorders have been one of the most common misdiagnoisis of autistic people.

Many thanks for the added insight. Your word "fragile" had seemed out-of-place, for example, but now I understand more of what you are saying.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 6:50 am

The ubiquitous cluelessness of academic neurotypicals never fails to astound me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 12:19 pm

You are welcome leejosepho

The ubiquitous cluelessness of academic neurotypicals never fails to disturb me but I am long past being surprised.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 3:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Speech and language deficits in children with autism may not cause tantrums - Penn State

Quote:
To investigate this correlation, the researchers studied the relationship between language and tantrum frequency in 240 children with autism between the ages of 15 and 71 months of age. The researchers, who published their results in a recent issue of the Journal of Development and Physical Disabilities, said that the children's IQ, their ability to understand language and their ability to use words and speak clearly, explained less than 3 percent of their tantrums.

"We had children in our sample with clear speech and enough intelligence to be able to communicate, and their tantrums were just as high in that group," said Cheryl D. Tierney, associate professor of pediatrics, College of Medicine, and section chief, behavior and developmental pediatrics, Penn State Children's Hospital.

The researchers also found that children who spoke at the level of a 2-year-old with normal development had more tantrums than children with lower speech skills.

The study doesn't answer the question of what causes tantrums in children with autism, but mood dysregulation and a low tolerance for frustration -- two common traits -- are likely factors that should be studied further, Tierney said.

Tierney suggests enough evidence has accumulated to shift the emphasis from improving speech to improving behavior.

help should come in the form of applied behavior analysis, and having a well-trained and certified behavior analyst on a child's treatment team is key to improved outcomes, Tierney added.

There is so much wrong here I do not even know where to begin. I feel like throwing one of those "tantrums" these researchers are studying. This is a prime example of why the phrase "nothing for us without us" was coined.

The bastards want us to be "well behaved". You are quite right. These people do have an annoying attitude.