Spam Arrest - an example of NOT getting to know each other

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

lau
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 6:04 pm

I have received a couple of reply emails, quite possibly from Wrong Planet members, who are being conned into paying for this "service".

Unless I follow the instructions on these emails, I will be blocked from ever communicating with the user again.

If I respond to them, I open myself to spam from the "Spam Arrest" people, as I have initiated email dialog with that site. Check it out - that's the way the rules work out, at present. Because I send email to them, willingly, they can pretty much do anything they like with my email address. I am not prepared to do this.

Also, if I respond, I am justifying the existence of "Spam Arrest" and confirming that it is worth the money that the person is paying for it. I am not prepared to do this.

The supreme irritation is that I cannot ever tell the person using "Spam Arrest" why I have not responded, because "Spam Arrest" will silently block all email from me in future.

So, to any of you who are paying for this, or a similar, "service", be warned. They get your money, they block a bit of spam (at present), but they also cut you off from a percentage of email contacts, like me, who won't play their game.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 6:17 pm

Well that's just weird. I like your spinning universe, by the way.

to save me from ruin

lau
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 6:43 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:

I thought you already knew I was weird?

The galaxy in my avatar was.... I just felt the urge to put my age up there, but I just can't resist being "subtle", so... galaxies - "Messier 58 yo!"... a strained(?) "double entendre". The only thing that bothered me a little, was I vaguely thought you'd had M58 as an avatar for a bit? Still... I suppose, if you can't share an odd barred spiral galaxy out of all those available...

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 May 2007, 5:09 pm

Some times I get these weird pop-ups and bogus error messages from something
that looks like a legitimate security software application but it is not, this "spam arrest"
looks like some kind of mal-ware or crap-ware. Be vigilant.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 2:15 am

Thanks for the warning

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 7:07 am

lau wrote:
ZanneMarie wrote:

The galaxy in my avatar was.... I just felt the urge to put my age up there, but I just can't resist being "subtle", so... galaxies - "Messier 58 yo!"... a strained(?) "double entendre". The only thing that bothered me a little, was I vaguely thought you'd had M58 as an avatar for a bit? Still... I suppose, if you can't share an odd barred spiral galaxy out of all those available...

So, Lau, computer and WP guru that you are. . . could you tell me how to put my own version of "Messier 58 yo" into my own profile? I have recently passed 1000 posts and don't know how to do it!

Merle

lau
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 10:01 am

sinsboldly wrote:
lau wrote:
ZanneMarie wrote:

So, Lau, computer and WP guru that you are. . . could you tell me how to put my own version of "Messier 58 yo" into my own profile? I have recently passed 1000 posts and don't know how to do it!

Merle

You wish is my command.

And now... I wonder If I could persuade you to take ownership of said entry? It was your idea to have the entry, and baring my burble about long sigs and inconsistent lengths thereof, it's really your FAULT it's there at all. :)

Take ownership = "Quote" it, remove the quotes and post it (with any amendments you fancy). If you do that, I'll just delete my copy.

I'll put off asking calandale to link it into the first message until you say yay/nay.

I can't do that bit any more, as a normal member of WP can only edit a message up to 9,999 minutes (one week).