Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 4:16 pm

I have a standard 64 bit version of Windows 10 on a hard drive, but want to run an older program that can only run on 32 bit. The only solution I see is to have two versions of Windows 10 on the hard drive. A small partition with its own drive letter running the 32 bit version, and the rest being the 64 bit installation.

Is there any way I can, at this point, divide the C drive so that a portion of it becomes its own 100gb (or less) partition, and then install the 32 bit Windows OS on that?

I've looked at two versions of EaseUs Partition Master, the free, and a trial of the Pro version, but neither seems to offer "divide partition" as an option.

Do I have to wipe the drive and re-partition it, and reinstall everything?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

liminal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2017, 3:30 am

What program is it?

A solution is to just install VirtualBox (virtualbox.org) on your current Windows 10 system, install a 32-bit Windows inside VirtualBox, and then install your program into that.

No need to mess around with your partitions just for one program.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 3:16 pm

liminal wrote:
What program is it?

A solution is to just install VirtualBox (virtualbox.org) on your current Windows 10 system, install a 32-bit Windows inside VirtualBox, and then install your program into that.

No need to mess around with your partitions just for one program.

There is an overhead associated with running a virtual machine within a real computer.

FeardyBase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 May 2017, 7:18 pm

Put diskmgmt.msc in run, shrink the main partition, install your OS to the "empty space" created (or make a new partition first). No need for third party tools, however, I've not come across a situation where a 32 bit program won't run under the 64 bit OS, if it really is an "old" program, you may find you need an older OS version for compatibility. I'd try the suggested VirtualBox solution first, and only go to the pain of dual booting if the program runs under 32 bit Win 10, leaves you scope to experiment without the (small but real) chance things go wrong shrinking your partition or installing the new OS version (people have been known to install to the wrong partition and wipe out the existing OS).

Whatever you do, do a full backup FIRST.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 8:48 am

"divide partition" is not an option indeed.
you will need to "shrink" one, and then make a new one out of the empty space (defragment the existing partition first, to make sure that the most amount of free storage is actually available).

For the program you are trying to run, there are other options too; the right-click menu has a campatibility option which allows 32bit windows; alternatively there are "virtual machines", which can run windows inside of windows.