Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 9:03 am

teksla wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Knofskia wrote:
:idea: Here is an article about autistic shutdowns that I found very comprehensive, informative, and helpful.

I have experienced several of these as well as meltdowns.

Thanks , what a useful article , I identified with an awful lot of that. Now I'm leaning more towards I may have ASD again - I have it , I don't , I have it , I don't , I have it , I don't , wish my assessment would hurry up

Quote:
If you know someone who appears to be experiencing full shutdown, one of the most important things you can do is reduce the amount of information and interaction he has to deal with. This isn't the time to get in his face and force her to do things, nor is it the time to allow strangers to get in his face. Keep people away who might prove annoying or dangerous.

I have yet to meet anyone who follows this advice when I am having a shutdown

The most common reaction I recieve when I start shutting down, demand I tell them what is wrong NOW. I try and tell them something like get back to me later, this is often deemed UNACCEPTABLE. Motivational type s**t I sometimes recieve is really annoying during these times as is the statement "it will work out".

As you say in your following post you use picture based ACC can't you get some that say things like "I having a shut down feck orf" :lol: obviously my example is a little extreme but you get the idea.

I gave a button with the title shutdown and a picture of a off button. When pressed it will say "I am having a shutdown and struggle with processing speech and talking. Only ask me yes or no questions and only one question at a time."

I made a keyring card like this from Stickman Communications for such occasions.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

PaperMajora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2017, 10:37 am

Can meltdowns have a middle ground? Many times I've yelled/screamed and had very little control over myself but never to point where I would just start breaking stuff. I wasn't thinking straight, but I was still thinking. If you get what I'm saying.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 11:42 am

teksla wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Knofskia wrote:
:idea: Here is an article about autistic shutdowns that I found very comprehensive, informative, and helpful.

Thanks , what a useful article , I identified with an awful lot of that. Now I'm leaning more towards I may have ASD again - I have it , I don't , I have it , I don't , I have it , I don't , wish my assessment would hurry up

Quote:
If you know someone who appears to be experiencing full shutdown, one of the most important things you can do is reduce the amount of information and interaction he has to deal with. This isn't the time to get in his face and force her to do things, nor is it the time to allow strangers to get in his face. Keep people away who might prove annoying or dangerous.

The most common reaction I recieve when I start shutting down, demand I tell them what is wrong NOW. I try and tell them something like get back to me later, this is often deemed UNACCEPTABLE. Motivational type s**t I sometimes recieve is really annoying during these times as is the statement "it will work out".

As you say in your following post you use picture based ACC can't you get some that say things like "I having a shut down feck orf" :lol: obviously my example is a little extreme but you get the idea.

I gave a button with the title shutdown and a picture of a off button. When pressed it will say "I am having a shutdown and struggle with processing speech and talking. Only ask me yes or no questions and only one question at a time."

awesome , I suppose that's great as long people respect your needs

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 11:51 am

Knofskia wrote:
teksla wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Knofskia wrote:

Quote:

I made a keyring card like this from Stickman Communications for such occasions.

love it , do you feel uncomfortable using it ?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 12:01 pm

PaperMajora wrote:
Can meltdowns have a middle ground? Many times I've yelled/screamed and had very little control over myself but never to point where I would just start breaking stuff. I wasn't thinking straight, but I was still thinking. If you get what I'm saying.

I don't see why not but I'm no expert. Yesterday I would've said I've never broken stuff but actually I've broken every stereo I've owned , thrown mobile phones at walls and punched doors ( hard enough to break bones :oops: ) , I always put it down to bad anger management but maybe it could of been meltdowns ??

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 12:20 pm

Knofskia wrote:
:idea: Here is an article about autistic shutdowns that I found very comprehensive, informative, and helpful. I have experienced several of these as well as meltdowns.

Wow, that was an EXCELLENT article----best article I've ever read on the subject----thankyou, so much, for posting it!!

Geez, is it any wonder so many of us, can't work.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 12:22 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, that's like what I was saying, before, about people keep asking me "What's wrong?", and stuff.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 12:23 pm

teksla wrote:

teksla wrote:
AAC is an alternative way to communicate. I use an app on iPad, it has text and pictures and by pressing the button it speaks a preprogrammed phrase. I can also type if i am able and it will speak what i type.

If you don't mind, could you please tell us where you got these things, and the name-brand / price of each.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 12:39 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
teksla wrote:

teksla wrote:
AAC is an alternative way to communicate. I use an app on iPad, it has text and pictures and by pressing the button it speaks a preprogrammed phrase. I can also type if i am able and it will speak what i type.

If you don't mind, could you please tell us where you got these things, and the name-brand / price of each.

I actually have two different apps, one for android (phone) and one for ipad.
Both of the apps are available on each platform (google play and app store).

The picture based one i use is called Talktablet (link to websitetalktablet home page). It is an AAC app very similar to Proloquo2Go (was the "go to" speech app, but is pretty unpractical and very expensive). Talktablet has many different versions of the app in different languages, like spanish, english, french, russian, swedish, danish etc. (note: they are different apps but do the same thing - just in different languages). The price of talktablet is $80 (i was lucky enough to receive it as a gift). I was sceptical at first since i thought "how the fu*k is an app worth that much money??" But compared to the other speech apps on the market, the "proloquo2go" costs $249 (and it has in app purchases).

The other one i use is called "Speech Assistant AAC". On android its free (but has in app purchases) on ipad it costs $10 (no in app purchases). It is text based, you type in or press buttons with text and it says them outloud.

Depends on your needs and when you are intending to use the app.
When i am having a meltdown or shutdown language is very difficult for me meaning that i rely heavily on the pictures on Talktablet (oh, talktablet comes with 20 000 (or more?) pictures to use for words, or you can google an image or take a picture).

I know you can get an android tablet with talktablet installed for $299, with a case.
where to look at the different buying options when you are buying a tablet aswell.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 2:24 pm

For me shutdowns and meltdowns are related.
Both appear when I am overwhelmed, either due to sensory overload or being unable to deal with a situation.

Which way it goes seems to be related to other people reaction.

Shutdown:

Normally it will start with sensory overload. It simply feels like I am very, very tired. I can barely talk("Yes", "No", "I don't know", "I am tired") and all I want is going to bed but if I go to bed I can't fall asleep, it feels like being sleepy after not sleeping for 24h - "too tired to fall asleep". I will also barely understand what anybody says. But I am not angry or confused. I might even smile. It's not a mood issue - just a total lack of energy.

It ends at that if they just let me be or if I am allowed to take a moment alone in silence or/and get something really interesting to do, that distracts me from whatever is overwhelming me(unless I am on my limit already, in that case nothing but a long alone time in my own room helps).
I can get some energy back for example from building Lego(silence isn't a must - if I focus on something visual my brain can turn off the sound) or browsing the net (silence is a must because browsing the net means reading and reading means I cannot turn off the sound part of brain).

But there is also a different kind of shutdown that leads from a meltdown stopped in a middle. In that case I am not only too tired to do anything but I might also not be able to speak at all (especially if during the meltdown a close one told me something around the lines "My head hurts from your whining! I will get a brain hemorrhage because of you. Do you want me dead?"). I might understand what people say and want to answer them but it's almost like I forgot how to speak, how to make any sound using my body(selective mutism?). I won't cry anymore, I won't speak, at times I might not even move and if someone moves me my body will be limp. But I will hear what is going on(actually my hearing might get exceptionally sharp, although my sight will get limited then and I will just close my eyes most of the time) and if they start speaking to themselves about what is wrong with me and wonder if they should call a hospital I will eventually get up and maybe even force myself to speak(or at least prevent them from making a phone call by holding their hand so they cannot take the number). It's more like I don't have any motivation to deal with my body and move or speak anymore, than being physically unable to. If the choice is move or get extremally embarrassed by having an ambulance called and all neighbors asking what happened afterwards I would rather force myself to move so they don't call one.

There is a "recovering" shutdown that occurs after a meltdown/shutdown/sensory overload or after a prevented meltdown too. I will be tired and have trouble understanding information from the senses(especially the sound) but I will still have the ability to speak (Yes, No, I don't know, I'm tired, Leave me, Silence, Keep it down, I am irritated). I will try to sit in silence of my room and try to regain energy by focusing on my interests and I will be really irritable so I can easily blow up and get into meltdown if someone interrupts me.

Meltdown:

If people yell at me, keep forcing me to do what I am unable to do or ignore the fact I am having a shutdown(especially when they are people close to me, who know me well) and keep asking me stupid questions despite the fact the only answer they can hear from me is "I don't know"/"I am tired" and I just can't deal with it anymore I will get into meltdown - start crying, yelling and feel urge to throw stuff around.

It might be a kind of tantrum or a partial meltdown though because I can control it a little bit (I can even turn it into a shutdown if I am in a public place) and there seems to be a want - I want the whole thing to stop, I want some silence, I want to calm down without distractions.

I can prevent myself from throwing stuff if I try hard enough (I might hug myself tightly around the arms so I cannot easily move and if I want to throw something I will tighten the hug even more so I cannot easily move) and if I can't stop myself from throwing something I will at least try to control what I throw and where it goes.
I avoid hitting people (for example when I realized I am about to hit my mom I changed the motion of my hand and... bruised my finger against my own tight), throwing easily breakable stuff (if there is a cup and an plastic bottle within my reach I will throw the bottle) and if I throw something I care about(for example the phone I am holding) I will try to make sure it lands on bed, sofa or at least carpet, not floor.
And I will cry the more the more they yell at me, force me or ask me and I might to be able to calm down after a while when left alone - unless they keep yelling at me from downstairs or keep coming there to see how I am doing.

I really hate myself for the meltdowns. They make me wonder if I am a bad person that I let myself do it. I should be able to prevent that from happening because I seem to have at least some control over them. I wonder if I am being manipulative or something. It makes me feel guilty although being manipulative isn't my intention. I really should turn every meltdown into a shutdown. Meltdowns are bad, although the selective mutism type of shutdown is no better.

Fortunately I am already able to turn them into shutdowns most of the time. And I can say "I am irritated"/"I am tired" in calm voice when close ones interrupt me during a recovering shutdown which is usually enough to stop them from bothering me so the bad incidents don't happen too often.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 6:57 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Knofskia wrote:
teksla wrote:

love it , do you feel uncomfortable using it ?

No. I feel MORE comfortable using the keyring card because the alternative is:
1) forcing myself to try and speak those words :( ,
2) feeling guilty for asking since I AM still able to speak :oops: (IF I am still able to speak :wink: ), and
3) arguing with the other person that I AM having difficulty speaking EVEN THOUGH I just spoke and am having doubts myself :roll: .

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 7:22 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Knofskia wrote:
:idea: Here is an article about autistic shutdowns that I found very comprehensive, informative, and helpful. I have experienced several of these as well as meltdowns.

Wow, that was an EXCELLENT article----best article I've ever read on the subject----thankyou, so much, for posting it!!

You are welcome.
Campin_Cat wrote:
Geez, is it any wonder so many of us, can't work.

Tell Social Security Administration that. They did not believe me. :evil:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2017, 8:20 pm

teksla wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
teksla wrote:

teksla wrote:

I actually have two different apps, one for android (phone) and one for ipad.
Both of the apps are available on each platform (google play and app store).

The picture based one i use is called Talktablet (link to websitetalktablet home page). It is an AAC app very similar to Proloquo2Go (was the "go to" speech app, but is pretty unpractical and very expensive). Talktablet has many different versions of the app in different languages, like spanish, english, french, russian, swedish, danish etc. (note: they are different apps but do the same thing - just in different languages). The price of talktablet is $80 (i was lucky enough to receive it as a gift). I was sceptical at first since i thought "how the fu*k is an app worth that much money??" But compared to the other speech apps on the market, the "proloquo2go" costs $249 (and it has in app purchases).

The other one i use is called "Speech Assistant AAC". On android its free (but has in app purchases) on ipad it costs $10 (no in app purchases). It is text based, you type in or press buttons with text and it says them outloud.

Depends on your needs and when you are intending to use the app.
When i am having a meltdown or shutdown language is very difficult for me meaning that i rely heavily on the pictures on Talktablet (oh, talktablet comes with 20 000 (or more?) pictures to use for words, or you can google an image or take a picture).

I know you can get an android tablet with talktablet installed for $299, with a case.
where to look at the different buying options when you are buying a tablet aswell.

Thankyou, very, VERY much----I totally copied and pasted it----I really appreciate it!!

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 1:39 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Thankyou, very, VERY much----I totally copied and pasted it----I really appreciate it!!

Im very happy with both of them, although the speech assistant is a good start - although the talktablet has much more settings.

I bring the iPad (in a super tough case) with me almost everywhere - on an ipad you can "lock" it into an app so you cant switch apps, which is handy in a meltdown or shutdown so you accidently exit the app.

Seriouscirrus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 May 2017, 6:33 am

I had shutdowns after my dad died more frequently. I have partial shutdowns, where i,feel myself regressing in supermarkets mostly.

PaperMajora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2017, 7:59 pm

Interesting. Sometimes I just feel really weak emotionally and I become moody and unmotivated. Sometimes feeling grey inside. It usually happens at the end of the month which caused my sister to start calling it "my period". I thought it could be depression. In this state I'm also prone to outbursts if provoked. Though I can still communicate when like this.