Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2017, 11:23 pm

Do most aspies act older or younger?

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 6:54 am

Don't know, but I've been told that I act older in public and younger at home.

SpaceDorito
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 May 2017, 8:36 am

It varies alot. I have very mature approaches and perspectives towards some things, but I still struggle to look after myself and take responsibility. I get frustrated when I have to do basic tasks and that leads to me acting like a petty teenager sometimes. I still like cartoons, I still like comics, I still like silly stuff like kicking leaves and jumping in puddles. So in alot of respects I act alot younger, and I think that my emotional maturity is definitely "stuck" in some ways. It's really confusing because I know I'm capable of acting older than my years and having very deep conversations with people.

Overall I think, I'm emotionally vulnerable, and always have been. I don't think I'm particularly unique in any way as this is something I've noted with alot of other ASD people. I think, at my core, I'll never be "mature" in the traditional sense. Honestly I think alot of what our society considers mature is skewed in the first place, because you see plenty of people working in business and politics stooping to schoolyard bullying tactics and manipulation due to their own selfish needs. I'd much rather watch steven universe and play with kinetic sand imho. I've met plenty of supposed "mature" neurotypicals who act more petty than I do, and I'm supposed to be the immature one.

Last edited by SpaceDorito on 07 May 2017, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 8:38 am

I act younger.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 9:15 am

I act older in some aspects but younger in others.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 9:31 am

I act like a big kid at home, and unless I am in a really good mood (which seldom seems to be the case any more) I tend to use scripting outside of the house. Psychiatrists always encourage me to overcome my social anxiety by getting out of my comfort zone more, but I really struggle to understand what is expected of me in social situations, and shamefully I don't honestly find other human beings interesting. I believe I have missed out on some potential relationships because of my shortcomings in this regard.

For instance, if a girl decides to sit at your table during lunchtime at work, how are you supposed to discern if she wants to have a conversation or not?

Furthermore, it's almost impossible for me to understand when someone is being serious or making a joke. Most of the time, I get them muddled up as I laugh when someone has uttered something which was dead serious, and don't react at all when someone is trying to be funny. Thus, people are usually very uncomfortable when I am around.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 10:29 am

I was always told I acted younger. But then I was delayed in pretty much everything and probably had Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder in audition to autism. But it was missed because the stupid social social worker couldn't put two and two together (my biological mother was always hanging out in bars and even met my biological father in one) and didn't tell my parents there could be a possibly I could have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. You don't need to have the facial features to have the condition, but I think I did have them. Anyway, I was always told things I did were for younger kids or that kids my age supposedly didn't do. I had to have a stuffed animal with me all the time until about late third grade and I wet the bed until I was 14.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 11:11 am

Both. Sometimes really childish, I'll prance around the forest pretending to be an elf. Other times I act like a grumpy old man and yell at people making to much noise and sich.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 11:23 am

I've always acted younger. I can't count how many times I would be told I was acting (insert younger age here) or being told I was too old for something and I preferred younger kids than my own age. My husband says I act younger and also act adult so it varies.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 4:58 pm

I am 50. I do not act, nor feel my age, nor, apparently, do I appear to be my age. My work associates who are in their late 20's through 30's are generally who gravitate toward me. In terms of WP, and apart from cathylynn and a few other members around my age, who seem to share my same preferences, I much prefer engaging in conversation and activities that younger members are more inclined to. It isn't a conscious choice to engage with them, based on age, but, rather, the level of enjoyment I acquire from engaging in many of the same threads/topics of conversation, etcetera.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 5:06 pm

I'm 30, but people mistake me for being 24 or sometimes in my late teens.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 5:14 pm

^ I had the same experience. When I was in my early 30's, I was often mistaken for being in my late teens/early 20's. : )

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 7:08 pm

I always thought I acted age appropriately but notes from my last Hospital stay includes the phrase "appears childlike" so maybe I'm not as age appropriate as I thought :?

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 8:04 pm

I'm going to be 47 in August, I don't act, feel my age, I look like I'm in my 30s, alot of the time I can think like an adult.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 11:39 pm

I act like I'm half my age a lot of the time. I don't want to mature and be proper. I want to be a 21 year old Mod forever.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 12:39 am

On the internet I act older textually, and also at home and in school.

But a lot of my behavior and needs irl make me more like a little kid.