Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

A_Friendly_Cactus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2017, 5:39 pm

I hate how many professional positions require references. I haven't held a job for more than a few months (I don't get fired, I just have been doing temp gigs), I'm pretty much a loner, don't socialize much at work, don't belong to any social clubs and don't keep in touch with most people. It's such a frustrating part of the job search for me and batters my self esteem that I don't have three people I can name on a freaking application. Sounds silly but it causes me a ton of anxiety.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2017, 5:48 pm

I have been in the same situation quite a bit.

Tangentially, if you're applying for things that require a written letter of recommendation, there are employment services (sometimes university alumni groups) that will keep recommendation letters on file for you, and then send them out on request. You still have to get a (generic) letter in the first place, but at least this arrangement keeps you from having to ask people over and over to write one for you.

There Are Four Lights!

A_Friendly_Cactus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2017, 7:17 pm

Darmok wrote:
I have been in the same situation quite a bit.

Tangentially, if you're applying for things that require a written letter of recommendation, there are employment services (sometimes university alumni groups) that will keep recommendation letters on file for you, and then send them out on request. You still have to get a (generic) letter in the first place, but at least this arrangement keeps you from having to ask people over and over to write one for you.

Thanks! I didn't know this :D

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 8:15 pm

I have to think back, and i've discussed various things like refernces and finding work here, most people don't keep references as they hire someone to sort it all out. Same goes for referrals and new management, if the old ones have had enough and say you can't come back then you don't unless you need something,like a final salary.
All the men I've worked for have been a***holes and the women users. Voluntary is not at all like being scapegoated, but then f course you're looked down on as being worthless, because you're not getting paid. The immigrants were paid staff where I was, and I was engaging with their regulars and doing all the dirty work they'd left behind. Whilst being unpaid. I need to go into business with someone who knows accounts and is happy working with real doing and people who like to het involved. It's likely to e the same in the case of referrals, they go missing if the sec from that department thinks you've had enough free expert care and wants you pigeonholed somewhere else, then you retaliate and get threatened by the senior officials, like refereeing a spat in game terms. Its pointless and stupid, and I doubt I will ever truly work for anyon now, as I'm my own person, and I let my conscience do most of the talking.