Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 12:41 pm

Ay wot r u tryin 2 say ere. People use perfect grammer that will soon change. Believe me I'll be changing a few things.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 12:55 pm

tomart wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
Most places, I can hardly stand to read what people have written. It's just painful. But here, people actually take the time to compose thoughtful answers, and word and punctuate them appropriately. It's very refreshing. Aspie trait?

That's part of why I like it here so much! I think it is an Aspie trait. This is the perfect medium for perfectionism; I can rewrite and edit endlessly, before and after posting. I (and my daughter) obsess and rework every little note as if our reputation depended on it, taking way too long, missing out on a lot of other things we could be doing...

Yeah, I love that you can edit your posts! I do it all the time.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 12:58 pm

MomofTom wrote:
I received a message on MySpace from a teenaged girl who used netspeak. Honestly, I had to read it over a few times to decipher what she was trying to tell me. It seems there is way too much time and effort put into typing that way. Why not just spell correctly????

By the way, the word "cuz" is like nails on a chalkboard. It scared me to see a classmate put use that word in a paper she was going to turn in for a grade. :roll:

Hopefully she would have been penalized for it. I have a professor who takes off a point if you use "between" when it should be "among" (and vice versa), "hoarser" when he prefers "more hoarse" (it's a legitimate word!), "appendices" when he prefers the newer spelling "appendixes" (he doesn't warn you ahead of time either), etc.

24 May 2007, 1:05 pm

I hate it when I do typing errors. So I use spellcheck on Microsoft Word because I don't want to take the time to proof read because I like saving time but unfortunitly on my Dad's laptop, there is no spellcheck so expect more errors from me.

On messengers I am not a perfectionist because I do a lot of spelling errors. To me I don't care how I spell in messengers. I can't type slow and keep the person waiting as we chat. That's why we use lol, ttyl, np, sry, gtg, u, r, etc. because it's quicker.

ainvar
Raven
Raven

24 May 2007, 1:37 pm

Yes, proper punctuation, grammar and spelling (I'm still not sure if I like leaving that extra comma out) can certainly be fun, although I am very fond of parentheticals and ellipses... =)

Some netspeak does seem fine, especially in an IM framework. In that case, timeliness is next to godliness. Besides, in many cases, it is merely an exchange of symbols, which can be terribly convenient if all parties are aware of both...and in cases where it is not a simple symbol exchange, and netspeak adds new symbols (such as is the case with smilies), it seems more than reasonable to add those new symbols to your "vocabulary."

Just my thoughts, although honestly I'm sure they've been tainted by years of working with artificial languages like programming languages. =)

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 1:44 pm

I hate when people don't use proper punctuation and grammar when they speak or write, whether it's on a message board or not. I don't see why people are so lazy that they have to write "u r..." instead of "You are..." I don't even like when people use "LOL" or "BTW", even though that's not necessarily incorrect grammar, but I don't like it anyways.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 1:44 pm

ainvar wrote:
Yes, proper punctuation, grammar and spelling (I'm still not sure if I like leaving that extra comma out) can certainly be fun, although I am very fond of parentheticals and ellipses... =)

Are you British or American? If you're American, then it's proper to put the comma in before the "and".

ainvar
Raven
Raven

24 May 2007, 1:53 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
ainvar wrote:

Are you British or American? If you're American, then it's proper to put the comma in before the "and".

I'm American, but I was always told to put the comma in during grade school, and during college, my professors told me that I do not need to put the comma in there. Although, to be fair, my first two years of college were at a small school out in the middle of nowhere (and those times were ever so nice!). I suppose that it doesn't help that I tendency to occasionally spell things the British way without even thinking about it...

Man, now I want to go get my Little, Brown handbook, but it's at home and I'm at work. =(

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2007, 2:19 pm

MomofTom wrote:
By the way, the word "cuz" is like nails on a chalkboard. It scared me to see a classmate put use that word in a paper she was going to turn in for a grade. :roll:

She should have at least written "'cause". That IS informal, but at least correctly spelled.

ainvar
Raven
Raven

24 May 2007, 2:26 pm

MomofTom wrote:

How do you feel about "cuz" used as a term of affection for a cousin? I know it's still not something you should put directly a formal paper, but I was just curious if it evokes the same degree of...::shudders::...sorry, the thought of nails on a chalkboard makes my fingers hurt =(

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 2:31 pm

ainvar wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
ainvar wrote:

I'm American, but I was always told to put the comma in during grade school, and during college, my professors told me that I do not need to put the comma in there. Although, to be fair, my first two years of college were at a small school out in the middle of nowhere (and those times were ever so nice!). I suppose that it doesn't help that I tendency to occasionally spell things the British way without even thinking about it...

Man, now I want to go get my Little, Brown handbook, but it's at home and I'm at work. =(

Where did you go to school?

ainvar
Raven
Raven

24 May 2007, 2:41 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
ainvar wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
ainvar wrote:

Where did you go to school?

Err, well I've been to a few of them...but I suppose I should preface the list by saying that they are all in the state of Georgia, mostly in the southside of Atlanta, mostly out in the country. Here goes:

Brooks Elementary (K) Milner, Ga
Elementary school in Fayette county that I don't recall the name of (1st) Fayetteville, Ga
Mt. Zion Elementary (2nd-3rd) Jonesboro, Ga
Beaverbrook Elementary (4th-5th) Griffin, Ga
Homeschool (6th-8th) Griffin, Ga
Griffin Highschool (9th-10th) Griffin, Ga
Homeschool (GED) Griffin, Ga

Gordon College (AS) Barnesville, Ga
Georgia Tech (BS) Atlanta, Ga

Sorry in advance if I'm being too literal =)

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 3:00 pm

I know what you all are talking about. I was attending to my volunteer duties at alocal library at a public school, when a teacher of a grade 8 class came in with her class and she told one of her students that she'd "seen" her at the mall. It was like something out of a hillbilly dictionary :o I can't respect someone when you talk like that! As for this sort of thing being an aspie trait- yes it most certainly is. :D I must admit that when I am writing I choose my word VERY carefully. I am proud that we aspies speak very well, piticulary with the way kids speak these days! 8O

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

24 May 2007, 3:14 pm

welp, i have terrible grammer and poor spelling. and stuff. i think what the author is talking about is you=u and internet lingo that i think is stupid, (using keys) to spell out words. H@XoR Ur f0rMz. yeah its ret*d.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 May 2007, 5:33 pm

I keep my sentences as simple as possible. That keeps my grammar and punctuation
as simple as possible.

ainvar
Raven
Raven

24 May 2007, 5:38 pm

All right, I'm home now, and here is what Little, Brown has to say on the comma thing:

Quote:
Place commas between all elements of a series -- that is, three or more items of equal importance...
Though some writers omit the comma before the coordinating conjunction...the final comma is never wrong and it always helps the reader see the last two items as separate.

I hope that I'm not beating a dead horse =)