Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 4:27 pm

Musings from 'Red Pill Philosophy'

Anon_92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2017, 2:34 pm

...and the more you do it, which is all us Aspies do, the more you are "disabled by the government"...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 10:09 pm

Not accepting that people have different ways of thinking is a Mental Illness. I guess he must be very sick, than.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2017, 1:36 am

There is a huge difference between looking forward to things and the constant craving of the next distraction which he describes.
There is a pleasure in anticipation, a pleasure in activity itself, and a pleasure in remembering it.
If you tend to build up and get disappointed, then maybe you do need to adjust your expectations. If you get sad because a good thing is ending, you may need to adjust your thinking.
I try to think of good experiences not as ending, but as being completed. I can continue to cherish them in my memory. I am not grieved because my children are growing up, I have held and nurtured them and that part is now complete.
C.S Lewis described it in his science fiction book Out of the Silent Planet: "A pleasure is full grown only when it is remembered. You are speaking, Hmán, as if pleasure were one thing and the memory another. It is all one thing." This was in reference to talking about wanting the same pleasure again and again.
So yes, there is value in living in the moment. But there is also value in treasuring the past and anticipating the future. In my experience.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 9:31 am

Under this logic, one of my favorite tennis players, Denis Istomin, would be deranged. He says, "Never look back, only forward." I'd love to have Denis' kind of derangement! Could it be called "Istomin syndrome?"