Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 2:55 am

I've mentioned this a bit in other posts, but haven't actually asked anything of it that I can remember.... I know a lot of Aspies tend to get math, science, history, or at least that is what I gather, and find it rather easy. Does anyone have any advice for someone who seems to grasp things better on the other end?

My strong points are English, arts, and music. I really cannot grasp any of the other 3 as I've just never been that interested in them, and have a lot of trouble deciphering what is important to write down and what is not-besides that, I cannot multitask for anything, lol, so listening and writing is usually a no-go.

I already have a plan to help me through things I just simply cannot "get", as I mentioned in my other post my bf and his friend are going to help some. I know I'm going to record lectures so that I can take notes later, or attempt to, and have the lecture right there just in case I miss something anyway.

But ultimately I'd like to be able to do as much of it on my own as possible. I guess I have a few questions then, lol:

Does anyone have a really good notetaking system? (mine are often disorganized due to too much information on some things, and too little on others)

Are there key words to listen for when taking notes that you can think of?

How do you memorize dates-is there a good way to do this besides just pure repetition?

Any tips at all that might help me to do this on my own for the most part would be greatly appreciated :D

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 3:17 am

nobodyzdream wrote:
Does anyone have a really good notetaking system? (mine are often disorganized due to too much information on some things, and too little on others)

Are there key words to listen for when taking notes that you can think of?

How do you memorize dates-is there a good way to do this besides just pure repetition?

Any tips at all that might help me to do this on my own for the most part would be greatly appreciated :D

when i do notes, i use shortcuts for words that repeat often. like 'therefore', 'it means', 'it leads to' is '->', or 'is' is '-' and so on, create your own system. -> you have >(more) time to focus on listening -> > time to decide what - important to write down.
any number to memorize is easy if you associate it (find some similarity) with something you already know (your birthday or the birthdays of your family members) or if you find some game in the number, like sum of two numbers there may lead to the third one and then division of other two leads to another one. the important thing is to stop and think about the number, finding the game is just the way to do it.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 4:42 am

There's a system called "mindmapping" that people use to brainstorm ideas for writing, but there's also software out there that shows you how to do it, and people also use this as a nonlinear way to take notes.

www.mindmapping.com

Kris

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2007, 6:17 am

nobodyzdream wrote:
My system works good for me. I take the notes like a picture, I mean I start at the top and work down as regular writing, but I think of the notepage as a piece of maybe 'art'.

So I doodle all over it at the same time, write jokes to myself, curse words, diary entries, poems, grocery lists, to do lists, all of this mixed right in with the math or physics notes or history or whatever.

I'm not sure that would be good for everybody but it helps me learn it better to incorporate it into a cool doodle book. After the book is full someone could look at it as a sketch-book as much as a notebook.

Maybe you could try recording the lecture, I've seen some people doing that.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 1:59 pm

thank you all very much for the responses :D I will definitely have to give these ideas a shot ^^

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 9:05 pm

I like math depending on how easy it is for me!

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 11:05 pm

I love math.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 11:12 pm

Everything in the physical world can be described by math. It's a beautiful thing.

One of my favorites was in non-linear differential equations where we solved equations to describe traffic patterns and why traffic starts and stops on the freeway.

Pretty cool!

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 11:29 pm

Argh! I feel so stupid!! ! lol

Everyone here seems so good at math and things that go along with it, and I'm just completely stupid when it comes to it, lol-I see numbers that don't relate to things. If I had visual aids-such as the traffic pattern thing you are talking about, I think I would learn it so much easier :( I never get it until it's almost too late, and rarely do I get a teacher who bothers to apply it to anything. I really really need that visual aid to get what I am doing.

I can't wait until I start doing graphics and such and see where all of it falls into place-that's when I'm going to pick it right up, because I'll be able to use it to actually create something out of it. I'm really excited about that-just not so excited about all of the math classes I need to get to that point, before I can apply it to my interest.

nuttycanuck
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2007, 1:18 am

nobodyzdream wrote:
Argh! I feel so stupid!! ! lol

Everyone here seems so good at math and things that go along with it, and I'm just completely stupid when it comes to it, lol-I see numbers that don't relate to things. If I had visual aids-such as the traffic pattern thing you are talking about, I think I would learn it so much easier :( I never get it until it's almost too late, and rarely do I get a teacher who bothers to apply it to anything. I really really need that visual aid to get what I am doing.

I can't wait until I start doing graphics and such and see where all of it falls into place-that's when I'm going to pick it right up, because I'll be able to use it to actually create something out of it. I'm really excited about that-just not so excited about all of the math classes I need to get to that point, before I can apply it to my interest.

I'm not good at pure math and I don't like it because I don't see the point of it, I'm into biology, why do I have to learn to factor a quadratic equation and graph a hyperbole? I'm never going to need that dumb stuff.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 2:10 am

nuttycanuck wrote:
I'm not good at pure math and I don't like it because I don't see the point of it, I'm into biology, why do I have to learn to factor a quadratic equation and graph a hyperbole? I'm never going to need that dumb stuff.

you're not going to need it maybe, but some of your schoolmates might... i use it now all the time. and i also didn't need to learn the stuff that some of my schoolmates are using now.

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 9:45 pm

I HATE math, such an extremely uninteresting topic, just a bunch of lame symbols put together in a sequence.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 4:45 pm

Maths is my favourite topic - it is also my easiest. If you want to know what MATHS stands for then look at my signature! :D

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 8:48 am

nuttycanuck wrote:

Asking what the point of pure mathematics is is the same as asking what the point of painting pictures is, or asking what the point of making music is.

The point is that it is an art-form where you have all these fabulous constructions and you study and proceed by pure logical deduction and create a whole universal 'reality'.

The reason you learn to factor a quadratic etc. is purely for technique practice. Exactly the same as practising brush strokes in art or practicing scales in music.

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 8:53 am

Santa_Claus wrote:
I HATE math, such an extremely uninteresting topic, just a bunch of lame symbols put together in a sequence.

Do you realise how ignorant that sounds?

Maths isn't about a 'bunch of lame symbols', most mathematics is written in English with a few extra symbols that are used as abbreviations.

Believe you me, I have read several 16th century and older mathematics books where everything is written longhand in words and the relatively abbreviated form of modern math writing is much easier to follow.

Your comment makes as much sense as saying that literature is boring because it is just a bunch of lame letters put together in a sequence or that music is boring because it is a bunch of lame notes put together in a sequence.

In fact, by your logic, anything capable of being transmitted in the form of writing is boring and uninteresting.

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 5:48 pm

JakeG wrote:
In fact, by your logic, anything capable of being transmitted in the form of writing is boring and uninteresting.

Wow you also know I hate literature.