Worried. 12 month old baby girl not responding to her name

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Concerned Dad
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 May 2017, 2:23 pm

My amazing daughter just turned 12 months last week, but still does not respond to her name.

- She is very social with pretty much everyone (including strangers). She seeks out people (both adults and children to interact with.

- She babbles constantly in consent and vowel sounds...

- She loves to open books and pretend read.... She also was shown once how to use the "lift the flap books" and she always looks for what is underneath.

- She is a very easy going kid...

- She sleeps throughout the night and very very rarely wakes (maybe once a month if that) up in the middle of the night...

- She can walk unassisted throughout our house.... She does like walking around things, but I think she does that for balance..

- She feeds her self (bottle with one hand) and regular food by hand...

- She has good eye contact and laughs when we laugh....

- Loves TV and knows the difference between programs.... example she has a HUGE smile when she sees the Song Summer from Frozen... The other programs she will watch, but she is so happy when she sees that one.... She 100% recognizes it....
FYI - my wife and I think we were actually allowing her to watch way too much tv throughout the day and are cutting back big time....

- She uses her pointer finger to point to things

- She reaches out for us or for something she wants (e.g. objects)

- If we take a toy it doesn't bother her... she just moves on to the next thing.....

- She does clap one her own and sometimes mimics us when we clap....

- She loves to walk and walk and walk around our house.... She doesn't mind the pack n play but sometimes screams in it.... She is always VERY VERY HAPPY WALKING AROUND THE HOUSE

The only big cons are that she does not answer to her name and she does not mimic us when we gesture (e.g. waving or blowing a kiss)

My wife saw our ped for her 12 month checkup and she said she wasn't worried, but I am not so sure she is right since knowing your name seems to be the biggest sign for detecting autism for young kids.

I would appreciate honest and constructive responses.... I will also very much welcome and stories that are similar to mine that have turned out to be nothing.....

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 5:23 pm

Concerned Dad wrote:
My amazing daughter just turned 12 months last week, but still does not respond to her name.
A belated happy birthday kid

- She is very social with pretty much everyone (including strangers). She seeks out people (both adults and children to interact with.
A big time signal that a person is not autistic

Sounds like a 12 month old

- She loves to open books and pretend read.... She also was shown once how to use the "lift the flap books" and she always looks for what is underneath.
Not an related to autism, but cute

A signal she is not autstic

- She sleeps throughout the night and very very rarely wakes (maybe once a month if that) up in the middle of the night...
A lot of sleep disturbences are a sign of autism. Sleeping through the night at that age, count yourself lucky.

- She can walk unassisted throughout our house.... She does like walking around things, but I think she does that for balance..
Very good for that age

Autistics often have a lot of coordination problems, she is doing well here

A major sign she is not autistic. Eye contact is uncomfortable to painful for us. Autistics are often "in thier own world" and do not not react to other people.

- Loves TV and knows the difference between programs.... example she has a HUGE smile when she sees the Song Summer from Frozen... The other programs she will watch, but she is so happy when she sees that one.... She 100% recognizes it....
FYI - my wife and I think we were actually allowing her to watch way too much tv throughout the day and are cutting back big time....
Yep, there are too many screens these days for children and people of all ages.

Another sign she is not autistic

Again regular interaction with other people is a sign a person is not Autistic.

- If we take a toy it doesn't bother her... she just moves on to the next thing.....
Another major sign she is not autstic. Autistic children often have major meltdowns in reaction to the smallest change in routine

Mimicing you, reacting to you, not "in her own world"

- She loves to walk and walk and walk around our house.... She doesn't mind the pack n play but sometimes screams in it.... She is always VERY VERY HAPPY WALKING AROUND THE HOUSE
She is a happy person, this is the most important thing

- The only big cons are that she does not answer to her name and she does not mimic us when we gesture (e.g. waving or blowing a kiss)
These are signs of autism but based on her other regular interactions with you it means she is probably just delayed in those two areas.

My wife saw our ped for her 12 month checkup and she said she wasn't worried, but I am not so sure she is right since knowing your name seems to be the biggest sign for detecting autism for young kids.

I would appreciate honest and constructive responses.... I will also very much welcome and stories that are similar to mine that have turned out to be nothing.....

Kids are not robots that have to conform to markers set by experts. They are people, some are shorter then others, some are lefthanded, some will grow up to be athletes, others klutzes, and every kid and every person is going to delayed or poor in some skills.

If she is not responding to her name in a year or two your pediatrition will act. She is only going to be one years old only once, it would be foolish not to enjoy this stage of her life to the fullest because of worry. Before you know it she will be out in her car on a date, then you will have real reasons to worry.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Concerned Dad
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 May 2017, 5:52 pm

I do agree about not worrying; however, it is easier said then done....

I just also noticed she likes to go in the kitchen and open up the cabinets and grab stuff... If I stop her with one cabinet she goes to the next....

I mostly concerned with the not responding to her name.....

I want her to have a normal childhood.... go to a good college and get a nice job.... I am scared all of this it going to hurt her.... I worry a lot/ today has been horrible regarding this....

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2017, 5:54 pm

This may not be the best place to ask this as a lot of people here have a type of Autism that never caused them to experience speech delays or immediately obvious symptoms at 12 months. So you may not get what you're looking for. This is after all primarily a site for people with Asperger's (now called ASD).

But I will say this, unless she is deaf that "not responding" to her name is something to be concerned over. Even despite her meeting all those other mile stones as you say. Just watch it. If she appears to be regressing and going into her own world please consider a child psychologist.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 6:18 pm

Concerned Dad wrote:
I do agree about not worrying; however, it is easier said then done....

I just also noticed she likes to go in the kitchen and open up the cabinets and grab stuff... If I stop her with one cabinet she goes to the next....

I mostly concerned with the not responding to her name.....

I want her to have a normal childhood.... go to a good college and get a nice job.... I am scared all of this it going to hurt her.... I worry a lot/ today has been horrible regarding this....

I agree that not worrying is a lot easier said than done. She is one years old. Some of this forums most literate members as well as famous autistics such as Temple Grandin and John Elder Robison who has authored books and designed equipment for Kiss missed a lot of markers big time (such as not speaking until age 5 or 6) and were "holy terrors" who required 24/7 maintenance as kids. Autism is known as a "Pervasive Developmental Disorder" meaning there have to be a lot of atypical things going on.

I do not know what her future will be, it might be a good college and good job it might be something else. I am turning 60 this year and I have seen a lot of miserable people that went to good colleges and have good jobs and happy poor people.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 19 May 2017, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 May 2017, 6:47 pm

I don't know anything about theory but I remember that my nephew did not respond to his name. He was sitting on sofa between his father and me, watching TV. He got up and went to the TV, seeming intend to press buttons. His father called his name name; the child ignored it. Then he noticed my knitting on a chair and turned to that - disaster if he gets his hands on it! Then I was calling out his name in a panicky way. Then his mother, with a slight edge on her voice, called his name. Then Grandma called his name with curious note. The child ignored all of us.

When his father added the word Look to the child's name, then we got a response. The child approved of the new toy and ran back to his father. I went to save my knitting.

I wasn't worried about him and neither was Grandma (who raised 4 of her own). Grandma told me later that the child had found a way to become the centre of attention, on the rare occasions when he wasn't. It was a game - he'd ignore somebody calling his name and then everybody would be calling his name and waving toys at him etc. She said if they would ignore it, the game would stop. I don't know if it did.

I do know that he developed just fine, grew up, and recently graduated with honours from Univ. of Toronto (Journalism).

Concerned Dad
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 May 2017, 9:06 pm

bethannny - your tone was very rude.

I am going through a lot right now, and you really need step back and think before you respond to a post.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 9:20 pm

There you go everyone, an amazing daughter has ONE thing unusual about her, so she MUST be autistic and OUR LIVES ARE ALL RUINED!!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 9:29 pm

Concerned Dad wrote:
bethannny - your tone was very rude.

I am going through a lot right now, and you really need step back and think before you respond to a post.

I don't think bethannny was being rude.
She's only stating facts.
We appreciate that you are quite concerned.
You may get a better response if you posted this in the parent's discussion forum here.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2017, 9:40 pm

It sounds like typical baby like behavior to me. Your description doesn't really identify anything which you need to worry about too much in a 1 year old.

All kids progress at different rates for different things.

It's also not unusual for a parent to worry that the child isn't doing things which they perceive to be as expected. As a parent, you're going to worry. The worrying, by the way, doesn't get easier.

The internet also makes things worse. You worry that something isn't "normal" (a human condition that really does not exist) so you take to the internet to search for answers and the next thing you know, the child has this or that. Trust in the professionals that you come across, such as the pediatrician.

If your child does have Autism, she can still have a "normal" childhood, go to a good college and have a nice job. Autism isn't a sentence, it's just something that, for most, makes some things more challenging. For me, I had a somewhat normal childhood, went to college, got married. I was going to say that I have a good job. I had one, but I lost it due to my Autism. I didn't think saying that would be entirely supportive :)

If your child is still presenting these behaviors in a year, then you can deal with it then.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 10:06 pm

Concerned Dad wrote:

The only big cons are that she does not answer to her name and she does not mimic us when we gesture (e.g. waving or blowing a kiss)

The first thing I would do is have her hearing checked by an ENT or audiologist. Preferably someone who deals with such young children. Even if she can hear, it's still possible she has a hearing deficit.

Concerned Dad
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 May 2017, 10:15 pm

She responds to Music and TV Programs so her hearing I would assume is fine...

It has to be something bigger.... at least I assume.

Anon_92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 May 2017, 10:17 pm

Concerned Dad wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlear_implant

Insurance will pay it all if you embarrass them enough.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 11:43 pm

I think this thread should be moved to the parenting section. I also think that you should enjoy your daughter instead of worrying. Next time you start a thread, post it in the parenting section.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 11:46 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
There you go everyone, an amazing daughter has ONE thing unusual about her, so she MUST be autistic and OUR LIVES ARE ALL RUINED!!

That quote made me laugh, because that's how the OP comes across to me. :lol:

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 May 2017, 12:06 am

Anon_92 wrote:
Concerned Dad wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlear_implant

Insurance will pay it all if you embarrass them enough.

Whoa! There are horror stories about cochlear_implants - investigate thoroughly!