Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Klifter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2017, 4:47 pm

I'm trying to get on disability income soon but I'm hesitant as to if I have enough valid documentation.

I was diagnosed with aspergers but no one I know seems to even realize I do. I've had ADHD my whole life. And i was just recently diagnosed with narcolepsy with minor cataplexy, sleeping 15 hours a day including 3 hours of sleep paralysis. I feel like the aspergers would be a gateway into being applicable but it bothers me that other people with textbook narcolepsy aren't even in the blue book. Would these three documented disorders be enough to at least get only shut down once by the ss office?

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 7:00 pm

Good chance you will be denied the first go around, everyone I know has. But it doesn't mean you don't have a case. So just prepare everything you have and document everything. Then apply, you may get lucky and approved the first go around (I seen it happen). If not, then look for an attorney. Everything is set by the government and they get paid on the back pay.

I never applied, just know a few people and ran into some in support groups.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 7:26 am

The problem you'll run into is people work who have...

ADD
ASD
Narcolepsy

(or so says SSA)

My husband is on round 3 for SSDI review, and the judge would not even consider the ASD as a disabling factor.

What they want to see is a history of job failures and treatments. I tried to work, couldn't, tried this therapist/CBT/medications or whatever. You need a big paper trail and doctors who will back you up.

If the doctor turn in a *meh* report, doesn't state you can't work because of a,b and c problems, you will have an uphill battle.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 11:32 am

After years of waiting, I was finally approved for SSDI this week. My issues are ASD, PTSD, Bipolar disorder, substance use disorder, anxiety, gout, HTN and history of a stroke. Since a lot of my problems are psych-based, I had to show they are somehow debilitating to the point where I am no good to an employer. My unstable job history is testament of that.

I've been on & off homeless most of my life; the last time I became homeless was the fall of 2013. Since then I've lived in the street as well as transitional shelters. I'd hate to think that it was necessary to hit skid row just for SSDI, but maybe in my case it helped.

Klifter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 May 2017, 9:19 pm

I am currently working but waiting for my third strike because I've attained two for sleeping during work hours. I've been fired twice for the same reason at other jobs too. And my file at my Therapist's office is about 8 inches thick and I've been present with therapists most of my life. Don't know how it will go but I'm struggling with everything right now and it's making me more depressed which causes more sleeping, introverted behavior and hallucinations which is the worst.