This doesn't make sense to me

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 11:20 pm

The dates don't really mean a whole lot if they don't lead to anything though. Most of the guys that I met lost interest once they met me and 1 stood me up. The 2 that stayed interested seemed desperate. I also have over 800 likes (not sure if it's really that many or not), but they don't really seem to mean much either. A lot of the ones that like me don't send messages. I tried initiating with a few and only one replied, but the conversation didn't last. A lot of them initiate and talk a little, but eventually stop. Then there were some that I didn't feel interested in or I wouldn't know what to say to them. Part of it might be that I sometimes take a while to reply or I lose track, but I think there's something missing in me that makes other women attractive for this to happen so much.

Also, I've never had a guy give me a gift on a first date. I did thank him and everything, but it doesn't feel quite right. How could he know if he would like me to even buy me a gift? It feels like something that I shouldn't get unless it's from someone who knows that they like me. It also makes me really uncomfortable when I feel like I'm being put up on a pedestal. Especially by someone who hardly even knows me.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 11:45 pm

slw1990 wrote:
Also, I've never had a guy give me a gift on a first date. I did thank him and everything, but it doesn't feel quite right. How could he know if he would like me to even buy me a gift? It feels like something that I shouldn't get unless it's from someone who knows that they like me. It also makes me really uncomfortable when I feel like I'm being put up on a pedestal. Especially by someone who hardly even knows me.

As I said earlier, tradition. Back before the 1960s flowers were practically mandatory: it showed the guy had true interest, and the type of flowers indicated his personality. It seems weird for you since you've never been socially trained for that to happen, but he probably came from a very traditional background and is probably something he does on all his dates. Sure, he needs to get with the times, but there's no reason to be creeped out by it, unless you're creeped out by traditional dudes in general. Also, in the current age I wouldn't be concerned about being put on a pedestal we're an increasingly grotesque culture that likes debased things, I'd be more concerned about someone playing you more than someone worshiping you.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 12:05 am

I'm not really creeped out by it. I just feel like maybe when he did that he had an idea about me that wasn't real. He doesn't know what I'm like. I don't feel like I should get gifts from someone who doesn't even know if they like me.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 10:03 am

I dunno slw, from what you describe; things really don't make sense.

It seems you lack the "sex appeal" factor - I strongly believe in that.

Ever tried other demographies? Other than Whites?

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 6:44 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I dunno slw, from what you describe; things really don't make sense.

It seems you lack the "sex appeal" factor - I strongly believe in that.

Ever tried other demographies? Other than Whites?

Yes, I think more than half the dates I've been on were a different race and cultural background. I live in a college town and most of the guys I meet are students.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 4:30 am

It can be conversational ability rather than "sex appeal". If you're meeting guys that want a reationship rather than a hookup thdn it doesn't matter how attractive one is, if yhe conversation doesn't flow and is difficult then it is gard to create a connection.

What you're saying reminds me of a couple of friends I have. I can relate myself from a non online dating perspective. Guys find me attractive, but things kind of petter off because I'm so flipping awkward.

These lasses are lovely, but even I find them a bit difficult to converse with. Not sure how men find them. They are single. They just have a very dry way of talking. A bit awkward and clipped. They come over a bit condescending, but I do think that's because they are shy and anxious and are just very matter of fact in their manner.

they can come over like school teachers rather than friendly. I don't know if I'm like that, but I may be,

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 8:27 am

I assure you that it's all about the sex appeal.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 8:39 am

Quote:
It can be conversational ability rather than "sex appeal". If you're meeting guys that want a reationship rather than a hookup thdn it doesn't matter how attractive one is, if yhe conversation doesn't flow and is difficult then it is gard to create a connection.

You think that guys typically think like women; that's your first mistake.

Just because a guy is seeking a serious relationship that doesn't mean he would decline a hookup if given the chance.

So if he finds the girl attractive despite not being compatible, yet the girl wants a hookup or something short term; then the typical guy would not say no to that.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 8:49 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:

Just because a guy is seeking a serious relationship that doesn't mean he would decline a hookup if given the chance.

So if he finds the girl attractive despite not being compatible, yet the girl wants a hookup or something short term; then the typical guy would not say no to that.

Did she say she wanted a hookup? No, she didn't.

More of Boo putting :) the women down on wrong planet.

See this is why you're single. You're a really negative person

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 8:59 am

hurtloam wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:

Did she say she wanted a hookup? No, she didn't.

More of Boo putting :) the women down on wrong planet.

See this is why you're single. You're a really negative person

Nope, I am single because of other factors; negativity is a connequence.

But I am not being negative toward slw; she is puzzled and I am trying to help her to solve it.

The way she is describing the guys' reactions is so typical when someone does *not* find the date attractive. I would say the same if the OP was male; I am not less harsh with guys here because it is something I have experienced myself a lot too (when a date does not find me attractive from the very first second); I have quite an experience in that.

Btw, I am single but sexually active.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 27 May 2017, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 9:02 am

You're such a know it all with your posts though. Your'e not actually offering her any helpful advice. You're just like, "I understand and no one else does. This is the thing. I won't actually offer any actual advice though. I'll just make a blunt statement." It's a put down in that you're making yourself look intellectually and socially superior.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 9:05 am

Knowing what might be the problem is helpful.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:41 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Sex appeal is subjective, hence the reason someone can be attractive to one person and repulsive to another. That doesn't explain why she's had problems with virtually everyone.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 4:26 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Sex appeal is subjective, hence the reason someone can be attractive to one person and repulsive to another. That doesn't explain why she's had problems with virtually everyone.

Some of it might be that I'm sometimes bad with replying and I'm very careful with giving out my number. I remember a guy told me that he thought it was strange that I didn't want to give out my number after a second date and lost interest.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 11:47 pm

hurtloam wrote:

What you're saying reminds me of a couple of friends I have. I can relate myself from a non online dating perspective. Guys find me attractive, but things kind of petter off because I'm so flipping awkward.

These lasses are lovely, but even I find them a bit difficult to converse with. Not sure how men find them. They are single. They just have a very dry way of talking. A bit awkward and clipped. They come over a bit condescending, but I do think that's because they are shy and anxious and are just very matter of fact in their manner.

they can come over like school teachers rather than friendly. I don't know if I'm like that, but I may be,

I've been looking up different things about sex appeal and a lot of it seems to revolve around having good social skills. There were different articles that said smiling, making good eye contact, being enthusiastic and having good conversational skills are what make people have sex appeal. I struggle with most of these things so this is probably a part of why guys don't find me attractive.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 3:21 am

Aristophanes wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

It's not as subjective as you think.