Samurai Jack Ending (Contains Spoilers)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 10:05 am

SPOILERS BELOW
Samurai Jack had always been a loner, he was friendly, but certain to part ways with everyone he ran into. That changed during the final season; his would-be assassin gradually becomes a fierce ally and eventually they fall in love. Usually I find romance hard to watch because it seems forced and almost mandatory for any main character, but they took their time with it (4 seasons in Jacks case) and they're both very supportive of eachother. It was refreshing to watch.

This of course made the ending as devastating as it was, Ashi (Jack's ally/love interest) helps him travel back in time and kill Aku, but since she was also Aku's literal daughter, she prevents her own birth. Ashi ends up writing herself out of existence to help someone she cares about. Even "The Little Mermaid" (the original) wasn't this sad because she got to live on as a part of nature. Jack can't even humor the idea of Ashi being up in the heavens because she literally disappeared from existence. This is the saddest thing I've seen on tv.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2017, 6:15 pm

I am glad that they brought back the series for a fifth season and finished it off. The series was a good story to follow with amazing artwork for the journey.

Currently, my most major complaint at the moment is the final episode is that it needed more time (I might come up with more as I have time to reflect over things). I think it was a well planned bittersweet ending but they shoved what probably needed two episodes into a single one.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 5:30 pm

Very late reply (only recently got to see the last season) but I'm going to be frank- I didn't like much of it past the first three episodes. I especially didn't like Ashi, because the show (after she was introduced) ended up becoming all about Jack X Ashi more then it was Jack vs. Aku, and second most of all, she is Aku's daughter, as making a villain a father almost alway ends up downgrading the villain for me and making it hard to take him as seriously.

I would have likely liked her better if she was a normal human, and not a plot ex machina, because she was the reason the writers chose not to follow up with the Guardian's Prophecy, which up until that time, would have been the only portal Aku couldn't destroy.

This season also contains a lot of plot holes and inconsistencies, stuff that does not match what we saw in S 1-4. One being Jack's parents being younger then when he left, seeing past!Jack being sent by Aku just as future!Jack returns (like what happens to Past!Jack if Aku's destroyed?) and the fact that drinking Aku's essence impregnates a woman instead of infecting her, as if her having a uterus somehow can negate it's infectious property and turn it into pregnancy and babies when it all too easily will infect Jack or his (male) allies. (That feels insulting to women, as if the writers are adverse to the idea of a woman turning into an Aku demoness, but will happily make what happens to her about pregnancy and babies instead. As if it is less about her as a character, and more about how it affects her reproductive organs and can make her pregnant.)*
Lastly the Guardian's Prophecy, they retconned that just so Ashi could show off her Aku powers, making a perennial plot of the show (Jack's heroic struggle to get back to the past) rendered cheap, because now there is no struggle, and they can just use her as a deus ex machina for the time portals.

*Are the writers icked out by seeing a female Aku-demon with boobies? Is that why they made the Priestess *sigh* pregnant instead of having her become a new Aku-demon? That's what the Priestess should've logically turned into, because as evil as she is, she's human, and I doubt the essence would care about how 'good' you were or if you had a uterus or not. If anything, evil characters should have it spreading faster and easier in them, because maybe the evil vibes would be like 'fertilizer' for it. I know they did the pregnancy thing to explain the Daughters of Aku, but they could've at least made the residual essence turn the Priestess into a complete demon after (or even before, while she was still pregnant!) the daughters were born, because at least it would be consistent with what we've seen, and and that fighting her would have been an awesome way for Jack to brush back up on his katana skills.